Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

"Buy American" i can't even find that many goods made in America, then the usual ones, we know of. Everything i see, has Made in China, Made in India, etc. Try finding good American made Furniture these days, it ain't out there, and when it is, you will see a hefty price tag attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That's fine.

Could you elaborate as to why "we" disagree?
"
Originally Posted by Greatday
Americans will shop for products Made in America - and if they find one, and the quality is acceptable, and the price is "close", even if higher, they will purchase the Made in America first.

OBTW - keep in mind that many of those Toyota's and Honda's are actually Made in America these days"

I disagree with you above statement. If americans looked for Made In America products, why does Walmart outsell all others combined?

MOST people quit looking when it became too hard to find american products.

One of the biggest "small" retail stores is the gas & go type. The ones that sell milk, bread etc. With both husband & wife working people don't have the time to lable shop. They want get in and get out.

Keep in mind Toyota and Honda are assembled here. They are not concidered "american" made cars.

The recall Toyota is having with the gas pedal problem, "[SIZE=3]The recalled part is an accelerator pedal produced by an Elkhart, Indiana based company – CTS". [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
The cost of NOT buying America is all around us.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Also are people aware that some products manufactured in Mexico and Canada can be labeled as made in America under NAFTA if certain conditions are met. American protectorates also count as made in America. I forget the name of the island, but somewhere in the pacific there is an island that imports cheap chinese labor and could sell its product as "made in America." Also when products are made in America the raw materials could be from another country.
The islands you are referring to are the Marianas....a protectorate of the U.S.

Where sweatshops produce goods that can be labeled made in America (Ralphie Lauren for one)

Where workers work 14-16 hours a day for almost nothing.

Where women are forced into the sex trade and FORCED to have abortions

Where Tom Delay a REPUBLICAN praised the owners of these slave factories and REPUBLICANS fought reform. Republicans fought to keep FORCED Abortions and women in the sex trade.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
"Buy American" i can't even find that many goods made in America, then the usual ones, we know of. Everything i see, has Made in China, Made in India, etc. Try finding good American made Furniture these days, it ain't out there, and when it is, you will see a hefty price tag attached.
Tune in Ed Schultz on the radio Friday mornings.....he regularly supports AMERICANS by letting them call in and advertise their AMERICAN businesses where AMERICANS make AMERICAN products. I think he also can direct you to a website of AMERICAN made products...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

MADE HERE IN AMERICA, Consumer goods made in the USA (http://madehereinamerica.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Garlic capital of the world Gilroy, California! You can even buy garlic wine there. I used to drive on the freeway through Gilroy and all you could smell was garlic.

Where you thinking of ginger?
Blast from the past! Sure, I know Gilroy...they have a yearly Garlic Festival ( never attended; it's in the summer and I don't care for the heat) where they sell garlic ice cream (yowie) and have a locally nominated Garlic Queen.

No, I'm not thinking of ginger. They sell these sleeves of 6 cloves in a net bag, prominently labeled PRODUCT OF CHINA.

For all I know, they're growing it in a toxic waste dump. It has been documented that some imported Chinese herbs are loaded with lead, cadmium, and other industrial toxics.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Pretty much the reason I won't go near new American cars. Most of those people I know who had Japanese/European cars have owned them for at least 10 years without issue...one shorter and many longer, even mine was 19 (Volvo 240DL) when it started seriously acting up. While in the same time frame every person I've known who had an American car had major repairs and often purchased replacements several times.
Inaccurate to say that only Japanese/European cars can last 10 years without issue.

There have been plenty of imported cars which have had their share of troubles and reliability problems.

And there are also many people who have owned American cars for 10 years with no major repairs... including myself.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
I simply cannot stand it when I look at buying an American Flag and it is made in China. Eff that crap.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm a BIG sports fan. I love just about all sports - and I "have to have" the T-Shirts, Hat's and so on, for "my teams". Something started bothering me a few years ago though - all of the Professional Sports licensed clothing (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL etc) is "Made in China" (and some other nations). Why? Why can't our Professional teams sell products that are made in the USA?

I wrote to the Commissioners of all the Professional Sports Leagues and asked them why? Why can't teams that are United States teams, have their products made in the USA?? When I did not receive any response to my letter, I sent another one...."perhaps you did not get my first one....."

I did get a response from the NFL - and their response was somewhat predictable ... "the cost".

So, here is my question to other sports fans: Would you be willing to spend an extra Dollar or two for that Logo'd team cap if it was Made in America?

OBTW, I discovered yesterday that the USA Olympic Team "stuff" is also made in China!!!

How about it - willing to pay a little more for "home town" goods??
Sure. You dont notice that you're already paying for new stadiums, player salaries and so on via this insanely overpriced merchandise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies