Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Well after a few days of my girlfriends right side hurting and reviewing the facts and symptoms it was time to take a ride to the ER.
My girlfriend has no insurance due to the fact that she are part time employee at Kohl's and hasn't worked enough hours to qualify. Of which we are looking to continue to put pressure on kohl's for hours while we see other employment opportunities that might give her the benefits and insurance that is needed.

A way we get checked in they do blood tests, STD tests, vagina exam, CT exam and once the appendix was ruled out and the kidneys for stones.
An IV was started was given 2 morphine drips as well. Then it was on to a ultrasound of which showed a ovarian cyst had burst and we were discharged.
So we had no insurance... are you ready for this..
They have a flat rate for people without insurance and which covers EVERYTHING IN THE ER!!

425 dollars.

If she had insurance just take guess how much the bill would have been and if you had to pay 80/20 and or if the insurance company did cover everything.
If you didn't have the 425 dollars, you have the option based on income for state assistance and my favorite the hospital would turn it over as a charity case of which I'm sure gets written off as a tax deduction in the end.

While many of us deal with issue it appears maybe we should review why we can pay flat rates to ER visits of 425 when the insurance company would get billed high prices.

Seems to me we dint need government run health care we need to review the costs of these services and figure out more options for people.

Hospital is called ARIA Medical Hospital in langhorne PA look it up
True story and not a troll.
Enjoy.
while I'm glad that your GF got the treatment she needed, the rest of us who have insurance will pay the difference through our higher premiums because our insurance companies are charged extra to make up for situations like yours. No matter what, some are paying for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Well after a few days of my girlfriends right side hurting and reviewing the facts and symptoms it was time to take a ride to the ER.
My girlfriend has no insurance due to the fact that she are part time employee at Kohl's and hasn't worked enough hours to qualify. Of which we are looking to continue to put pressure on kohl's for hours while we see other employment opportunities that might give her the benefits and insurance that is needed.

A way we get checked in they do blood tests, STD tests, vagina exam, CT exam and once the appendix was ruled out and the kidneys for stones.
An IV was started was given 2 morphine drips as well. Then it was on to a ultrasound of which showed a ovarian cyst had burst and we were discharged.
They have a flat rate for people without insurance and which covers EVERYTHING IN THE ER!!

425 dollars.

If she had insurance just take guess how much the bill would have been and if you had to pay 80/20 and or if the insurance company did cover everything.
If you didn't have the 425 dollars, you have the option based on income for state assistance and my favorite the hospital would turn it over as a charity case of which I'm sure gets written off as a tax deduction in the end.

While many of us deal with issue it appears maybe we should review why we can pay flat rates to ER visits of 425 when the insurance company would get billed high prices.

Seems to me we dint need government run health care we need to review the costs of these services and figure out more options for people.

Enjoy.
$425 flat fee? Do you suppose they would do a mini-face lift in the ER?

I didn't think so.

Well, I'm glad it turned out ok.

20yrsinBranson

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is the lie and fallacy of the Left....that if you're sick, you can't get medical treatment.
you don't mind paying the difference? good to know. We'll send you the bill.

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
That's as far as I've read, so far.

So what you're saying is, she doesn't qualify for employer-provided insurance because she's a part-time worker, and she's gone to a number of insurance companies to inquire about her purchasing her own insurance, and each and every one of them told her "No"?

Can you please tell us who those insurance companies are? They're going on my shiite list. That's no way for companies to treat a relatively healthy person willing to take responsibility for her own life and health.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, they parked my wife in the corridor for three days because she was not a 'priority' and billed the insurance company $5000 a day. I wonder if we had no insurance if they had produced a "definite diagnsis" the same day and sent us home. I think they might have done that.
First a hospital admission needs to meet certain criteria in order to admit a patient and these criterias must be maintained in order to extend the stay. If they are not met the insurance company will deny the claim. Second, the charges submitted to the insurance company mean very little to the contracted reimbursment the hospital will recieve from the insurance company.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:

425 dollars.

Enjoy.
I'm pretty sure your little story above is a lie. 2 things stand out: you said your girlfriend had a CT scan and an ultrasound during the same ER visit. That can't be true. The CT scan would have picked up what the ultrasound would pick up, so doing both tests at the same time would have been redundant. Next, you said she received "2 morphine drips", as in one on each arm? Were they trying to kill your girlfriend or something?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I'm pretty sure your little story above is a lie. 2 things stand out: you said your girlfriend had a CT scan and an ultrasound during the same ER visit. That can't be true. The CT scan would have picked up what the ultrasound would pick up, so doing both tests at the same time would have been redundant. Next, you said she received "2 morphine drips", as in one on each arm? Were they trying to kill your girlfriend or something?
This is not always the case. A CT scan is the best study to look for an inflamed appendix. A sonogram is the best test to evaluate female reproductive organs. Pathology with either organ system could be potentially life threatening, so both tests are often performed ordered in succession during an ER visit depending on the clinical presentation of the patient. The order is sometimes reversed, also depending on the history and physical exam, but this does happen - and not rarely.

I'm assuming that the OP was referring to 2 separate morphine injections, rather than drips or continuous infusions, which is also not a rare occurrence. If after the first injection the patient was still in pain and vital signs were stable, a second injection would be appropriate. It's an understandable mix up of terminology for a layperson to make - and it's very likely that she was getting an infusion of fluid during the evaluation. Medications are often injected into a port in the IV line that fluids are running through - so it could definitely appear to be a "drip" to someone without any medical training.

Maybe the poster is lying, maybe not, but you can't just assume that based on the information posted.

(disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form giving any type of medical advice on this forum. I am treating all discussions on this forum as hypothetical and urge anyone with a possible medical problem to seek medical treatment in person and in a timely manner.)

Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Had the same deal when my daughter got bit by my mother-in-laws dog. My insurance would not cover it because it was on private property. I was not going to demand my mother-in-law to pay.

I was waiting for the $2000+ bill for stitching her up, and a bottle of antibiotics.
They had me the bill and I'm ready to discuss a payment plan, as I looked down at it. $265

I crapped my pants, with surprise.

Paid it right there on the spot.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you don't mind paying the difference? good to know. We'll send you the bill.
Strawman.

He wasn't nor did he make that claim. He simply pointed out the fact that people that need treatment get it. Now, can we move on to how to resolve the issue of people not being able to pay and people that don't have insurance without deflecting to semantics?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
This is not always the case. A CT scan is the best study to look for an inflamed appendix. A sonogram is the best test to evaluate female reproductive organs. Pathology with either organ system could be potentially life threatening, so both tests are often performed ordered in succession during an ER visit depending on the clinical presentation of the patient. The order is sometimes reversed, also depending on the history and physical exam, but this does happen - and not rarely.

I'm assuming that the OP was referring to 2 separate morphine injections, rather than drips or continuous infusions, which is also not a rare occurrence. If after the first injection the patient was still in pain and vital signs were stable, a second injection would be appropriate. It's an understandable mix up of terminology for a layperson to make - and it's very likely that she was getting an infusion of fluid during the evaluation. Medications are often injected into a port in the IV line that fluids are running through - so it could definitely appear to be a "drip" to someone without any medical training.

Maybe the poster is lying, maybe not, but you can't just assume that based on the information posted.

(disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form giving any type of medical advice on this forum. I am treating all discussions on this forum as hypothetical and urge anyone with a possible medical problem to seek medical treatment in person and in a timely manner.)
A CT scan done to search for appendicitis would have picked up a ruptured ovarian cyst, unless the radiologist reading the study is a total idiot.

Also, when you say you have 2 morphine drips, that signifies 2 separate IV lines, not one line. And the OP did use the term "drip", not intermittent injections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies