Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,634,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Not at this hosipital maybe the one in NY were you live. But this is in PA right outside of Philadelphia.
You need to have your girlfriend call the hospital because when I did, they indicated there is no flat rate for an ER visit. They were telling you how much the visit to the actual ER cost.

I work in a field that deals with the ED, and have never in my life heard of a flat rate ER, which is why I called the hospital to ask.

The radiology, lab, and physician on call will all be separate bills. You misunderstood what they told you. That $425 is how much it simply how much it costs to be seen in the ER.

Get ready for a gigantic bill for all that radiology work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,673,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You need to have your girlfriend call the hospital because when I did, they indicated there is no flat rate for an ER visit. They were telling you how much the visit to the actual ER cost.

I work in a field that deals with the ED, and have never in my life heard of a flat rate ER, which is why I called the hospital to ask.

The radiology, lab, and physician on call will all be separate bills. You misunderstood what they told you. That $425 is how much it simply how much it costs to be seen in the ER.

Get ready for a gigantic bill for all that radiology work.
So the doctor reviews the results, diganoses the patient, they do the blood work, pelvic exam and utltrasound and its covered in the 425 dollars.
You go back at a CT scan and that is covered but the person who has to READ what the machine tells you have to pay 2000 dollars.
Hmmm that is interesting.
I believe you might be right I had to call and confirm this.
I will deal with it when she gets the bill.
The ER is willing to do a flat rate and set bones, put on casts, maybe even stop bleeding, stab wounds for 425 dollars but to pay someone to read a machine results is the most cost. Hmmmm that is very interesting.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
So the doctor reviews the results, diganoses the patient, they do the blood work, pelvic exam and utltrasound and its covered in the 425 dollars.
You go back at a CT scan and that is covered but the person who has to READ what the machine tells you have to pay 2000 dollars.
The ER is willing to do a flat rate and set bones, put on casts, maybe even stop bleeding, stab wounds for 425 dollars but to pay someone to read a machine results is the most cost. Hmmmm that is very interesting.
The ER does not set bones. The ER provides a place where a doctor can set your bones, put on cast, maybe stop bleeding - all of which is billed separately, according to newtoli's post.

Quote:
Seems to me we dint need government run health care we need to review the costs of these services and figure out more options for people.
You might want to reconsider this statement, after all the bills come in.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If someone had to come in and set a bone, you will be paying the orthopedist on call to come set the bone.

You will most likely also receive a bill for the Gynecologist on call that performed the pelvic.

You will receive a bill for the ultrasound as well.

You will most likely also receive a bill from the lab for the blood work, unless they bypassed a lab and had a nurse run it using a bedside analyzer... but you'll probably still be charged for the supplies.

You are not paying specifically for the radiologist to interpret the results, which by the way, is not just a matter of reading what the machine tells you, it takes education and skill, you're paying for the cost of the machine, the cost of the overhead to run the machines, the cost of paying the tech that operates the machine, etc. Those machines are not cheap.

Your $425 was not a "flat rate", it was the cost to simply walk into the ER.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The ER does not set bones. The ER provides a place where a doctor can set your bones, put on cast, maybe stop bleeding - all of which is billed separately, according to newtoli's post.

You might want to reconsider this statement, after all the bills come in.
Exactly. If you have a broken arm, the ER will call the orthopedist on call, who will come into the ER to set your bones and put on a cast. In addition to your ER visit charge, you will then receive a bill from that orthopedist for his services performed in the ER.

And yes, OP should really reconsider what was written in post 1. It wasn't as simple and cheap as he thought it was...

It would be impossible to have a flat rate ER considering the variety of in-depth expensive treatments performed in that setting, involving doctors called in, expensive testing, etc...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,090,038 times
Quote:
Well after a few days of my girlfriends right side hurting and reviewing the facts and symptoms it was time to take a ride to the ER.
My girlfriend has no insurance due to the fact that she are part time employee at Kohl's and hasn't worked enough hours to qualify. Of which we are looking to continue to put pressure on kohl's for hours while we see other employment opportunities that might give her the benefits and insurance that is needed.

A way we get checked in they do blood tests, STD tests, vagina exam, CT exam and once the appendix was ruled out and the kidneys for stones.
An IV was started was given 2 morphine drips as well. Then it was on to a ultrasound of which showed a ovarian cyst had burst and we were discharged.
So we had no insurance... are you ready for this..
They have a flat rate for people without insurance and which covers EVERYTHING IN THE ER!!

425 dollars.

If she had insurance just take guess how much the bill would have been and if you had to pay 80/20 and or if the insurance company did cover everything.
If you didn't have the 425 dollars, you have the option based on income for state assistance and my favorite the hospital would turn it over as a charity case of which I'm sure gets written off as a tax deduction in the end.

While many of us deal with issue it appears maybe we should review why we can pay flat rates to ER visits of 425 when the insurance company would get billed high prices.

Seems to me we dint need government run health care we need to review the costs of these services and figure out more options for people.

Hospital is called ARIA Medical Hospital in langhorne PA look it up
True story and not a troll.
Enjoy.
You call it "government run health care" because you've been trained to, but it wouldnt be "government run"!!!!!

Do some research, now that it's affected you personally you appear to be interested enough.

Also, sounds like you're a fan of a utopian flat rate, suddenly. That's commie talk, ya know.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,512,952 times
Quote:
Since you claim to be a patriotic American. why didn't you offer to pay more than the $425 the ER billed you so as to spare the taxpayers from footing the bill you incurred?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,512,952 times
Quote:
Not at this hosipital maybe the one in NY were you live. But this is in PA right outside of Philadelphia.
Maybe this hositipal is doing something your hositipal has no concept of its called common sense prices. Really at this point reading a radiology chart and xrays is something nurses can do, even first year medical school students. A surgery, and actually MEDICAL treatments I could see the costs not to USE A MACHINE and read the results to a person! Today take blood, take urine and use machines to test for results of which take about 5 minutes of work. They have simplied reults and blood lab work so that I think monkeys might be doing the tests in a few years. Back about 35 years ago they had to mix and do many many tests with the blood of which was time consuming, etc.
Which planet is this where nurses and first year medical students read Xrays? I mean, they probably can, but the official Xray reading still has to be done by the radiologist, and that's who gets paid to read.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM

328 posts, read 305,571 times
Quote:
Maybe this hositipal is doing something your hositipal has no concept of its called common sense prices. Really at this point reading a radiology chart and xrays is something nurses can do, even first year medical school students. A surgery, and actually MEDICAL treatments I could see the costs not to USE A MACHINE and read the results to a person! Today take blood, take urine and use machines to test for results of which take about 5 minutes of work. They have simplied reults and blood lab work so that I think monkeys might be doing the tests in a few years. Back about 35 years ago they had to mix and do many many tests with the blood of which was time consuming, etc.
Did you know Radiology is one of the hardest medical specialties. Their residency program is extremely difficult to get into and longer than average. First year medical students do not read Xray's. You mean PGY1's/Internship? 1rst year Medical Students really know nothing as they do not even have their MD's/DO's yet.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If she had insurance, they would have billed the insurance company apprx $4000. But of course if she had insurance they would have kept her in for a day or two and charge the insurance company $5000 per day. My wife'd insurance got billed $15 000 for CT scan with a three days wait in the hospital corridor.
That si to pay for the write off from thsoe who don't pay period. Any hospital administror wil tell you thsi . They also willtell you that it also pays for the losses from mediacre;medicaid and othe rset fees by governamnt. One reason no bill in congress wants a single poayer really and elimination of privte insurance. Ist alos why both bills shift more people medicaid which sates pay a large share of.Just as they say care wouldn't change, But with 70% of medial and drug research done in this country shows what system has advanced medicane and which nations aren't doing it for a reason;there systems can't afford it.Tyhe same will ahppen to this country nder their system and no one is there to replace us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies