Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
So your hatred for Democrats, personified in Franken, trumps any benefit this proposal might provide.

That's what we thought, roy.
Yes, the poster has an apparent grudge agaisnt Franken and any of his proporsals, no matter how beneficial to the people.

RPT-KBR, Halliburton hit by ex-worker's rape charges | Reuters

Sen. Franken introduced legislation to prevent arbitration from being used in these cases.

Meet The Senators Who Voted Against The Franken Amendment

//www.city-data.com/forum/11102782-post17.html

GOP Senators Abandon Rape Victims

//www.city-data.com/forum/11102835-post19.html

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-31-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Franken is a big fat lying bastard...

Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Franken is a big fat lying bastard...
My, my , what an intelligent well thought out REPUBLICAN post!

So YOU are for rape and unlimited funds from China, Saudi Arabia and other countries to determine who our elected officials will be.....Yup, you are obviously so much nicer than Al....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
I wonder how his bill would effect George Soros and his influence on the elections?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
I am not a legal expert. So before I form an opinion I need info. Someone please explain to me what this new law would do, that the existing laws do not already cover.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
My, my , what an intelligent well thought out REPUBLICAN post!

So YOU are for rape and unlimited funds from China, Saudi Arabia and other countries to determine who our elected officials will be.....Yup, you are obviously so much nicer than Al....
I don't know if you realize it but, saying the republicans were for rape, is twisting that entire incident out of proportion and I don't think it's a good point to argue. No one is for rape....the issue was way more complex than just that. I remember it involved what.....Blackwater?....and everyone knows how liberals feel about them. What you do with one company, you have to do with all and I can see that ending up to be a disaster. I remember it was employees that allegedly raped her but, I remeber trying to find out what country they were from....I don't think they were Americans....I couldn't confirm that for sure though. They have to hire people they can't get any backgrounds on sometimes.....like Iraqi citizens. They have no choice sometimes, thery might need locals to communicate for them and I'm not just talking about Iraq...any place we get involved in where there's a conflict going on. Then the other side of it is, it's a war zone....if you want to take a job in a war zone, you obviously have to accept the risks that come, that you'll be taking. Where do you draw the line on something like that....how about if it's just assualt and she got seriously injured....sould you be able to sue for that.

Any way, I've strayed from the point I was making. There's a lot more to it than being for rape and people know that so, if you're going to claim that about the party, it just shows you're very biased. Seriously, no one is for rape (except rapists I guess...lol), it's not accurate to say it and it doesn't help make your case to say it either, it just starts an argument so, if I were you I'd think about leaving that one out in the future.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I don't know if you realize it but, saying the republicans were for rape, is twisting that entire incident out of proportion and I don't think it's a good point to argue. No one is for rape....the issue was way more complex than just that. I remember it involved what.....Blackwater?....and everyone knows how liberals feel about them. What you do with one company, you have to do with all and I can see that ending up to be a disaster. I remember it was employees that allegedly raped her but, I remeber trying to find out what country they were from....I don't think they were Americans....I couldn't confirm that for sure though. They have to hire people they can't get any backgrounds on sometimes.....like Iraqi citizens. They have no choice sometimes, thery might need locals to communicate for them and I'm not just talking about Iraq...any place we get involved in where there's a conflict going on. Then the other side of it is, it's a war zone....if you want to take a job in a war zone, you obviously have to accept the risks that come, that you'll be taking. Where do you draw the line on something like that....how about if it's just assualt and she got seriously injured....sould you be able to sue for that.

Any way, I've strayed from the point I was making. There's a lot more to it than being for rape and people know that so, if you're going to claim that about the party, it just shows you're very biased. Seriously, no one is for rape (except rapists I guess...lol), it's not accurate to say it and it doesn't help make your case to say it either, it just starts an argument so, if I were you I'd think about leaving that one out in the future.

It was KBR (Halliburton subsidiary) and all involved were Americans. It was about a Texas woman who worked for KBR that was gang raped by five other KBR employees. The rape occurred after she made several sexual harassment complaints to Halliburton and asked for a transfer, but was denied. After she reported the rape she was put in containment and wasn't allowed to contact anyone. To top it off KBR medical staff performed the rape kit, but KBR "lost" portions of the rape kit (which also makes any criminal proceedings more difficult. She later sued KBR officials for the rape, the fact she made complaints prior to the rape that were ignored, and her treatment after she was raped.

KBR tried to fight the suit from ever being heard and were successful at blocking the suit from going forward for several years. They said as per a contract she signed that she could not sue and her only option as going through company sponsored arbitration. The contract dealt with the company not being liable for anything happening to her while she was working with the company in Iraq. Now something like that would be somewhat typical of someone taking work over there, however it generally would apply to someone getting injured or killed. I don't think anyone could possibly take that to also include being gang-raped by co-workers, but that is what the company tried to do Fraken's Amendment was aimed at the language of the contract. A major part of it stating that contracts similar to the one that was signed could not force a rape victim of settling their claim through arbitration and would allow them to seek legal action without it being tied up in the courts for several years. It might be a little harsh to describe the 30 Senators as pro-rape, but they certainly put the interests of major corporations ahead of rape victims.

As for the latest Franken bill, I do not see any reason why this should not be passed.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Franken Fights To Keep Foreign Interests Out Of American Elections - Office of Sen. Al Franken (http://franken.senate.gov/press/?page=release&release_item=Franken_Fights_To_Keep_ Foreign_Interests_Out_Of_American_Elections - broken link)

Well, as long as foreign governments can buy up pre-paid credit cards with which to channel millions to the BO campaign again in 2012, all is well in the liberal universe.

“Obama’s overseas (foreign) contributors are making multiple small donations, ostensibly in their own names, over a period of a few days, some under maximum donation allowances, but others are aggregating in excess of the maximums when all added up.”
The contributions had come from over 50 specifically named countries and major cities.
Obviously bogus contributor names that a 7 year-old would have known to be fictitious, including “Hbkjb, jkbkj,” “Doodad Pro,” and “Good Will,” were frequent.
“Thousands of Obama’s foreign donations ended in cents.” U.S. contributors very rarely contribute in anything other than whole dollar amounts, so the reason why contributions would end with anything other than “.00″ would almost always involve foreign currency

Al Franken Fights To Keep Foreign Interests Out Of American ElectionsAct of 2010-obamadonationpg1uppersaddam_2.jpg

Al Franken Fights To Keep Foreign Interests Out Of American ElectionsAct of 2010-obamadonationpg1upperosama_3.jpg

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...contributions/

Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post

Please read post #47.

Now, hers wasn't the only rape....mainly because employees now know that it is OK to rape and seriously wound their fellow employees.

Corporations , no matter where they are , should NOT MAKE LAW.

Or do you and other Republicans still want the country run by corporations, your gods?

You may get your wish.

Then if you , your wife, sister, son, daughter are brutally raped by fellow employees....just bow your head and take it....like a good little employee....

And you think THAT's right???

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,617 times
I despise Al Franken but I agree with his stance. And thats not easy for me to say because I also think he is a loon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies