Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,759,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Gads! Someone did a book on just what I was talking about. The subtitle of the book is "Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy" and it sure fits the bill. Truth is, about 75% of welfare stopped in the mid 1990's between Newt Gingrich's "Contract With America" and Clinton co-opting the effort for his own glory. But the images of welfare and "the lazy poor" still linger in people's minds, and it's now poisoned the health care debate.
Too bad these fools don't realize how little job security they have and that ONE costly medical emergency can bankrupt a family.
There are plenty of people working full time jobs that don't offer health insurance.
The number of people covered by employer-provided health insurance goes down every year. Less companies are offering health insurance and many of the ones that do offer it plan to shift more of the higher costs to their employees.
As far as a rise in wages...ha. Even if they did give their employees a raise, it's quickly eaten up by a rise in their premium or their deductible.

I doubt many of them have read Nickle and Dimed or Bait and Switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 AM

139 posts, read 254,310 times
Why do poor conservatives vote against social policies that would benefit them?
Because they're willing to work for what they need.
Conservatives don't have that sense of self-entitlement that left-wingers do.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 AM

26,154 posts, read 48,854,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Too bad these fools don't realize how little job security they have and that ONE costly medical emergency can bankrupt a family. There are plenty of people working full time jobs that don't offer health insurance. The number of people covered by employer-provided health insurance goes down every year. Less companies are offering health insurance and many of the ones that do offer it plan to shift more of the higher costs to their employees. As far as a rise in wages...ha. Even if they did give their employees a raise, it's quickly eaten up by a rise in their premium or their deductible. I doubt many of them have read Nickle and Dimed or Bait and Switch.
This reminds me of a DM sent to me about 18 months ago by a Moderator in a southern state; words to the effect of not understanding the thinking of local neighbors and how those locals could feel they were doing just fine making $9 or $10 an hour with no benefits and being AGAINST anything that could improve their lot in life, i.e., health care, unions, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,555,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I call BS.

There was a proposal to implement a non-profit system of PRIVATE COMPANIES WHO THE GOVERNMENT HELPS START UP. NOTHING MORE. Sh*t you people who spew the same garbage as your idiot conservative radio talk show hosts must not have brains. Go read a book.,
Key words here are "Government helps start up." I said you would not understand and you certainly do not. Health care should be a personal thing and the government should have nothing to do with it. I have read many books. I worked in the library for 28 years. Maybe you need to read some and make better choices on what you read if that is all you know.

Guess you must not be old enough to remember Russia and its communism taking over many nations. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. Just don't take my grandchildren into communism with you. I will fight it with all my being as long as I live and anyone who knows anything about communism will do the same. It is an evil thing.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 AM

30,001 posts, read 18,571,468 times
Quote:
I believe the BBC is on to something here:

BBC News - Why do people often vote against their own interests?

It's not just "they're stupid", many disenfranchised people of all stripes simply do not trust the government to do anything right, and thus any attempt at health care reform will be shot down.

I personally find it hilarious that people who would benefit from this greatly are by and large against a bill which would provide health care insurance. Oh well. I don't care anymore. Be poorer and in worse health. You dug your own grave. And the more well-off social conservatives dug it too.
I guess some people value thier freedom and personal liberty more than a handout.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,174,322 times
Because the white people in American don't want to pay for blacks and hispanics. If we had the ethnic make-up of scandinavia, we'd have scandinavian social welfare here. Notice now that those of "foreign" cultures are moving into Europe, they're beginning to get rid of their social welfare programs. It's all about ethnicity.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,814,789 times
Class envy.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,640,793 times
Look at the Gumbies on the old Monty Python Show, that's it

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,704,886 times
Quote:
I believe the BBC is on to something here:

BBC News - Why do people often vote against their own interests?

It's not just "they're stupid", many disenfranchised people of all stripes simply do not trust the government to do anything right, and thus any attempt at health care reform will be shot down.

I personally find it hilarious that people who would benefit from this greatly are by and large against a bill which would provide health care insurance. Oh well. I don't care anymore. Be poorer and in worse health. You dug your own grave. And the more well-off social conservatives dug it too.
Because in past the government has pretty much fugged up everything it touched. But it CAN do things when it wants to do things. After all it had won every war it ever started. Another reason is that they think it will benefit blacks and Mexicans and they don't like blacks and Mexicans.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,167,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Because the white people in American don't want to pay for blacks and hispanics. If we had the ethnic make-up of scandinavia, we'd have scandinavian social welfare here. Notice now that those of "foreign" cultures are moving into Europe, they're beginning to get rid of their social welfare programs. It's all about ethnicity.
And who says America is no longer racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies