Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Toyota's recall issue has been exploited by the media?
Yes I do, they still make excellent cars and this issue will be resolved by Toyota in due time 60 63.83%
No I do not. I think they deserve it. They have fallen and are doomed to fail. 27 28.72%
Not sure 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Every major car manufacturer has recalls. Overall, I still think that Toyota puts out a better vehicle than any domestic manufacturer. I currently have a '99 Toyota Sienna that up until one week ago never had anything go wrong with it. Wednesday morning, the original (yes, 11 year old) battery gave out and I had to replace it. I've owned Jeeps, Saturns, Volkswagens, and this Toyota. By far, the Toyota was superior in every way. I will replace it with another Toyota.

Yeah I don't know what Toyota uses for their batteries but wow... they do last insanely long! lol

I think I had mine go about 8 or so years on my old 95 4runner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I voted no, because the current issue isn't being blown out of proportion. Now, I don't think they are "doomed to failure" though.

They made a mistake. Truthfully, they don't even know 100% for sure what the problem is.

However, there is a large amount of evidence that their cars are accelerating for no reason. Its killed some people, and hurt others.

This is destroying their "reliable" image they had before. But it won't be the end of Toyota. It'll hit them hard for a while. I think you'll see them drop as the top automaker in the world. This was a gift wrapped present for Detroit, thats for sure. But they will be back, sooner or later.
You know I agree with you it may hit them slightly for a little while but Toyota has too much momentum to let this permanently kill their quality image. The issue with the accelerator is a very isolated one and im sure they have a good team of engineers on it right now trying to figure it out. I'm also sure they won't let something like this happen again (knowing how Japanese companies tend to operate).

However, I also think that if Toyota has another foul up similar to this one it could easily tarnish their image indefinitely. I think people are generally resilient to random flukes like this so long as they are managed and do not return.

Toyota will come back I think, but they are on a probationary period right now with the public.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
Love my 96 Camry and my 86 Camry before it was totaled!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:27 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Do you feel that Toyota's accelerator problems are being exploited by the media? It just seems like the news is stuck on this issue and have come up with some pretty nasty headlines regarding the quality of their vehicles as a whole.

I put this in the political section because something just smells fishy about all of it... I mean Toyota for decades now has been constantly beating out domestic brands and even many import brand car makers for their high quality vehicles. Domestic car brands have tried endlessly to no avail to steal back the market share, but unfortunately the stigma attached to domestic cars appeared permanent. I guess just the timing of all of this, and the trivial nature of the accusations against Toyota as a company seem weird to me. Toyota does make excellent cars and even to this day they are many times better than domestic vehicles in terms of quality and reliability. And yes I've driven domestic cars and yes they have gotten much better over the past decade, however they still fall behind in terms of substance and quality.

What is your feeling about the issue? I'd like to hear what others think about this and whether or not they feel Toyota is being pushed off a cliff intentionally for the benefit of GM and other domestic brands.

No, the media isn't making too much of the problem with Toyota's. There are a lot of them on the road and people who own them need to hear about the problem. It's not just those owners that have to worry either. The rest of us on the road have a right to know we're sharing the road with cars that could endanger us as well. I do not in any way consider this a trivial matter. This isn't the first time there has been a major, life-threatening recall and they were treated the same way by the media. Seventeen people have died in the U.S. because of the gas pedals and the recall is world-wide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This one's for you. Apparently you've never heard of the Ford Pinto.

You're also yet another poster who doesn't know how to write unbiased poll questions.
I agree. I couldn't vote in the poll because of the way it was written. Toyota will move past this problem. They aren't "doomed to fail" but they also deserve the media attention.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-30-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
They tried to hide the real problem by saying it was the owners improperly restraining their floor mat.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,956 times
I have recall statistics for the last 30 years, should I compile and post them?

Recalling the Pinto, Corvair and others, the American automakers (and UAW) have ALWAYS offered excuses for their "issues". Most Toyota recalls, what recalls there have been, have been voluntary, can GM, Ford or Chrysler make any such claim?

Newsweek said in an article on Chrysler, 'bout 2 years ago, and certainly pertains to the other 2, that the big three had trouble moving their vehicles off the lot at a heavy discount (rebates) while Toyota and Honda couldn't keep their vehicles on the lot at full price. There's a clue there.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
dangerous issue for sure , i drive a toyota and love it , mine is not being recalled ,
i do love how the president of toyota officially apologized for the mistake.
think we would get that from ford?

our son drives a ford and the problems with that car, serial problems , try googling
window failure on fords ----
no recall there.

Toyota will rebound ,i would buy another toyota , seems like the part was made here in the usa?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
dangerous issue for sure , i drive a toyota and love it , mine is not being recalled ,
i do love how the president of toyota officially apologized for the mistake.
think we would get that from ford?

our son drives a ford and the problems with that car, serial problems , try googling
no recall there.

Toyota will rebound ,i would buy another toyota , seems like the part was made here in the usa?
part made in china

Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
no recall there.
Here's one for 'ya!

Did you know you can find out how to break into a Ford Ranger by searching on YouTube? Had a guy I work with lock his keys in his Ranger. Got an idea to look on YouTube and vola! Blip, got his keys back.

P.S. Is this political?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times
It's all about Government Motors taking over the industry!!!
Sheesh!
i thought *everybody* knew that!!
:rollseyes:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies