Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,294,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I'm fighting back laughter, but what exactly do librarians learn that requires a degree LOL. Please be specific.
It's actually quite a bit more complicated than you would first think, and a common misconception that librarians' educational requirements are too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I appreciate what you are saying, however, happy texan specifically targeted librarians and library science as a wasteful program, which it's not. Library school classes are practical classes. In library school, we actually put to practical use, the classes and information that was taught. You can't say that about MBA school or law school for the most part (as a former legal resarch professor, legal research and writing are the only practical classes in law school). The only practical aspects of most masters programs are the internships.

You are going broad, which, in essence, I say YES, but when a poster targets one specific masters program and that program happens to be mine ... well ... I "gots" to defend.
It's a common, albeit false, assumption that library sciences do not need the educational background that the field requires.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what the undergraduate requirements for your field are, but like so many other degrees, we are all forced to take classes that having nothing to do with our major of choice. In my graduate program, all of the classes and practical experiences were targeted directly to my field, but my undergraduate studies required a ton of classes that were 100% unnecessary for my field. Our educational system should be more vocationally focused, instead of having a broad base of knowledge. We need well a trained/well educated workforce, not a workforce that has a little bit of knowledge in a lot of different subjects. JMO and probably pretty off topic for this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 AM

58,422 posts, read 26,752,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
There's a student loan lender that lends money to students. They charge interest on interest. The student makes payments monthly, yearly, but the principal never goes down, even after 10 years, and the amount they borrowed and now owe dramatically increases. When the student can no longer make payments due to illness, unemployment, the lender puts the student into default. If the student loan is government insured the lender will get paid by the government if it is in default. But this company holds onto these loans,
sometimes several years, harassing the borrower even though they can not pay. THEN, this lender gives it to the Federal Government who now pays lender all principal and compounded interest. Not uncommon for the government to pay this lender two or three times what the student originally borrowed. Now the government has the loan, and the process starts all over again with the student loan borrower. Student loans can not be discharged in bankruptcy court like any other consumer loan.

What's the name of this company: Sallie Mae. What is this company worth today: 127 Billion dollars, with a majority of their loans federal insured by the US government. They have ripped off students, the federal government, and tax payers since the 1970's.

Check out StudentLoanJustice.Org and click on a state of your choosing and read the students testimonials or read Sallie Mae's Success Too Costly? - 60 Minutes - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/05/60minutes/main1591583.shtml - broken link). I think you will agree student loan forgiveness and reform is warranted - It has been a long time coming

I have not taken out one of these loans, but I know many folks who have and it's quite sad - the way they are treated and financially abused. Our young people, who want to be educated and need an education simply to work and compete in the world we live, deserve better
If you are smart enough to go to college it is assumed you are smart enough to read loan details. or their parents should be. If you don't like the terms, don't sign.

Aot of government programs aren't good. That's why most people stay away from them.

Again, it is not my responsibility to pay for someone else to go to college.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,980,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you are smart enough to go to college it is assumed you are smart enough to read loan details. or their parents should be. If you don't like the terms, don't sign.

Aot of government programs aren't good. That's why most people stay away from them.

Again, it is not my responsibility to pay for someone else to go to college.
It's not my responsibility to pay for wars
of choice or welfare - but I am

I guess you didn't know: student loans were exempt from truth in lending regulations and requirements since early 1990's, during Bush Senior Administration.

Actually, The Government Direct Student Loan Program is
better than alternative student loans. Unfortunately college costs are rising higher than the ceiling limits on these types of loans allow.

You do know students do go on to work, and pay taxes just like you and I. The fact is most students end up paying twice, three times or more what they originally borrowed.

Did you know:

Student loan companies were exempted from adherence to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act since 1996.

Statue of limitations on student loans was removed in 1999.

State usury (interest) laws do not apply to federally guaranteed student loans.

Government insured student loans are exempt from Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act (allowing lenders to charge over 6 percent on student loans)

There are no bankruptcy protections for student loans, including private student loans - they can not be discharged in a bankruptcy court.

A student can only refinance (consolidate) their student loans Once in a life time, even if present day interest rates are more favorable.

The student loan industry receives tax dollars from the federal government and a lot of it. It's not the students making out like bandits. It's companies like Sallie Mae No One should get unjustifiably rich off the backs of our students. It is all of our responsibility to make sure students are given a fair shake.

I'm for as much student loan reform as our country will muster

Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,370,070 times
Personal responsibilty out the window.

You spend it, you pay it back. Not me nor my grandchildren.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Personal responsibilty out the window.

You spend it, you pay it back. Not me nor my grandchildren.
What about AIG, the banks, auto companies etc....
What about corporate responsibility and Corporate Greed

Don't get me wrong - I also believe in paying one's own way.
My son's undergraduate education is already paid for - he will not have to take out any loans. But others are not so fortunate. I know MANY students that are not asking for a free ride - Just A FAIR ONE

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
What about AIG, the banks, auto companies etc....
What about corporate responsibility and Corporate Greed

Don't get me wrong - I also believe in paying one's own way.
My son's undergraduate education is already paid for - he will not have to take out any loans. But others are not so fortunate. I know MANY students that are not asking for a free ride - Just A FAIR ONE

So making YOU pay for their education is fair for whom??

Just saying.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't know why I missed that part...I probably was getting ready to go to bed and was already in disbelieve on what the president said during the State of the Union...

He wants to forgive a student loan if the student takes a job in the public office..
Loan forgiveness for Public SERVICE, not public office - 10 percent for every year of public service up to 10 years. That includes service in the MILITARY.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Just saying.
No one is asking you to pay for their education. As stated most students pay two, three times what they borrow because of compounded interest, and their principal balance is still there after 10 years.
I'm for fair student loans, not free ones

Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
No one is asking you to pay for their education. As stated
most students pay two three times what they borrow, and
their principal balance is still there after 10 years.
I'm for fair student loans, not free ones

The loans will be forgiven after 10 years (no matter the balance) if you go into public service and after 20(no matter the balance) if you going into the to public sector..

Who pays for the BALANCE?? Yes,the tax payer.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,124,400 times
Quote:

Just saying.
I haven't read this entire thread but do wonder since nobody seems to talk about it if many people really understand what Obama wants to do. He wants to give all those loans and then have the students work for the government for up to 10 years. Now what can a pre-med student do for the government when most of the jobs he proposes are some form of community organizing jobss?

I see him as trying to create his army of civilian employees with these smarter people. I just wonder how much money will have to be expended to pay these people enough that they can afford to live during that time.

Obama did talk about that civilian army that needs to be as well equipped, supplied and disciplined as the military. Could it be that this is his way of organizing that army? I think it is just that and I do wonder what those people will be doing after they have worked off their loans. Maybe continue in their "government jobs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies