Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Homosexuals are freaks of nature
Strongly agree 20 11.76%
Agree 19 11.18%
Neither agree nor disagree 16 9.41%
Disagree 19 11.18%
Strongly disagree 96 56.47%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times

Advertisements

Do you agree or disagree that homosexuals are freaks of nature? If you agree, why? If you don't agree, why not?

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-31-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Well, they are perfectly natural. Homosexual behavior has been observed in several other species.

What role they play in nature, I'm unsure of, but their sexual behavior is perfectly natural.

It is not normal, based on our religious morals, but thats a different matter completely.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well, they are perfectly natural. Homosexual behavior has been observed in several other species.

What role they play in nature, I'm unsure of, but their sexual behavior is perfectly natural.
Yes, but lots of things are "natural". How do we distinguish between something that is unusual but still considered natural and normal, and something that is unusual but considered abnormal, bizarre, or freakish?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do you agree or disagree that homosexuals are freaks of nature? If you agree, why? If you don't agree, why not?
That depends on your definition of "freak of nature". That terminology makes it sound very derogatory. However, if you mean freak of nature in that the rate of occurrence and preponderance of homosexuality among society is comparatively speaking "low" (it's what 10% or so?), then yes I would agree, it doesn't occur with great frequency.

My personal view definition of a freak of nature would be someone whose abilities are > 99.9% of the rest of the population's (ie., artistical, mathematical genius/savant), or say someone like Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, or Michael Jordan whose athletic ability is unmatched.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, but lots of things are "natural". How do we distinguish between something that is unusual but still considered natural and normal, and something that is unusual but considered abnormal, bizarre, or freakish?
Reason

Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
That depends on your definition of "freak of nature". That terminology makes it sound very derogatory. However, if you mean freak of nature in that the rate of occurrence and preponderance of homosexuality among society is comparatively speaking "low" (it's what 10% or so?), then yes I would agree, it doesn't occur with great frequency.

My personal view definition of a freak of nature would be someone whose abilities are > 99.9% of the rest of the population's (ie., artistical, mathematical genius/savant), or say someone like Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, or Michael Jordan whose athletic ability is unmatched.
Yes, I think "freak of nature" is a relative term.

The American Community Survey (taken by the Census Bureau) showed 4.1% of Americans aged 18-45 admit to being gay, lesbian, or bisexual. Whether 4.1% is low enough to be considered "freakish" is probably debatable.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/samesexcouplesandglbpopacs.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Reason
But reason can vary greatly from person to person, place to place, and time to time.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

It is not normal, based on our religious morals, but thats a different matter completely.

Observed in nature? So are mutations, such as albinism, and behavioral abnormailites, such as cannibalism. They are observed in nature, but are not the norm, therefore, by defnition, they are not "normal". If homosexuality was the "norm", each and every species that practiced it would become extinct, with the exception of those who procreate asexually.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
I think they are, but not in a negative way. Reproduction is one of the highest goals of living creatures. For a creature of nature to have absolutely no attraction to the opposite sex is unusual. But hey, me and my wife have no intentions of reproducing, and we're heterosexuals, so I guess we are freaks of nature as well. People are usually baffled when we mention we aren't planning on having kids. We don't bring it up, but are often questioned since we have been married 5 years and do not have any kids.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Observed in nature? So are mutations, such as albinism, and behavioral abnormailites, such as cannibalism. They are observed in nature, but are not the norm, therefore, by defnition, they are not "normal".
Good points, but then should left-handed people also not be considered "normal"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies