U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
 
971 posts, read 1,227,084 times
Reputation: 384

Advertisements

AT&T Denies Gay Employee Sick Leave to Care for Ailing Partner - Towleroad, More than gay news. More gay men

"Bryan Dickenson and Bill Sugg have been together for 30 years. Sugg suffered a stroke in September and Dickenson, who has worked for AT&T for the past 12 years, is using vacation time so he can visit Sugg for one afternoon a week at a rehabilitation facility because AT&T refuses to give Dickenson the 12 weeks of sick leave that would be offered to heterosexual spouses in the same circumstances. Dickerson is concerned that when time runs out he'll be fired for requesting additional time off to care for his longtime companion."

"...But AT&T has stood its ground, confirming in a statement to Dallas Voice this week that the company isn’t granting Dickenson leave under FMLA because neither federal nor state law recognizes Sugg as his domestic partner."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,877 posts, read 31,483,141 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
AT&T Denies Gay Employee Sick Leave to Care for Ailing Partner - Towleroad, More than gay news. More gay men

"Bryan Dickenson and Bill Sugg have been together for 30 years. Sugg suffered a stroke in September and Dickenson, who has worked for AT&T for the past 12 years, is using vacation time so he can visit Sugg for one afternoon a week at a rehabilitation facility because AT&T refuses to give Dickenson the 12 weeks of sick leave that would be offered to heterosexual spouses in the same circumstances. Dickerson is concerned that when time runs out he'll be fired for requesting additional time off to care for his longtime companion."

"...But AT&T has stood its ground, confirming in a statement to Dallas Voice this week that the company isn’t granting Dickenson leave under FMLA because neither federal nor state law recognizes Sugg as his domestic partner."
Well yeah and Obama wants the military to back off on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" too. Did you get to see the faces of the generals and admirals at the SOTU when he talked about that subject and the Democrats went wild in applause?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
 
971 posts, read 1,227,084 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Well yeah and Obama wants the military to back off on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" too. Did you get to see the faces of the generals and admirals at the SOTU when he talked about that subject and the Democrats went wild in applause?
DODT is a disgusting slap in the face to everyone in the armed forces and everyone who has served his or her country.

There are many core, fundamental principles underlying our armed forces and the American heroes who form them - dedication, loyalty, selflessness, sacrifice. Two of the most important, I feel, are honesty and integrity.

A law that makes lying and deceit the policy of the US military does nothing short of undermine everything the institution stands for and the men and women who serve within it.

Bring back honesty and integrity to this issue. The debate should be: should we let gays openly serve, or would it be a detriment to readiness and therefore gays should be banned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,869 posts, read 23,178,359 times
Reputation: 8660
Well its their company, and they can do what they want.

I should say, that T-mobile allows for Domestic Partners, and all of the rights of a married partner with my company.

But I wouldn't be trying to make a gay friendly plug for those who have AT&T service
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
 
971 posts, read 1,227,084 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well its their company, and they can do what they want.
I agree with this.

I just find it funny (not good funny) that had this committed gay couple of 30 years lives in a state that recognized domestic partnerships (California, Oregon, Colorado, New Jersey, etc) then AT&T would have extended Dickerson the sick leave.

Gay AT&T employees in California are given this benefit, but gay employees in Texas are not. Straight AT&T employees, no matter where they live, are given this benefit. Funny how some things work out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:31 PM
 
26,666 posts, read 27,300,936 times
Reputation: 7934
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Gay AT&T employees in California are given this benefit, but gay employees in Texas are not. Straight AT&T employees, no matter where they live, are given this benefit. Funny how some things work out.
The benefits aren't dependent on sexual orientation. They're dependent on whether or not the employee is in a relationship that is recognized by the state or by the company. I agree that it's unfortunate, but an unmarried heterosexual couple would be in the same predicament.

This is why it seems cruel for states to ban not only same-sex marriage, but also civil unions. I can understand being against same-sex marriage, but civil unions too? I can only construe being against civil unions as mean-spirited.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-31-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
 
971 posts, read 1,227,084 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The benefits aren't dependent on sexual orientation. They're dependent on whether or not the employee is in a relationship that is recognized by the state or by the company. I agree that it's unfortunate, but an unmarried heterosexual couple would be in the same predicament.
I understand. That's my the second part of my threat title is "Why Gays Need Civil Marriage Recognition"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Moving around west virginia looking for home
536 posts, read 375,847 times
Reputation: 107
Oh well. It is for married couples only. They ain't married then deal with it. It would be the same for a Heterosexual couple if they were not married as well so stop trying to take a simple situation and inflame it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
 
971 posts, read 1,227,084 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
Oh well. It is for married couples only. They ain't married then deal with it. It would be the same for a Heterosexual couple if they were not married as well so stop trying to take a simple situation and inflame it.
A committed gay couple of 30 years most certainly would be a married couple if gays were entitled to have their marriages civilly recognized (in Texas where this couple lives it'd be common law even if they hadn't actually had a ceremony).

That's the point I'm making in this thread. I don't see the fact that gays are denied equal access under the law and equal civil rights as "tak(ing) a simple situation and inflam(ing) it".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,242 posts, read 23,311,235 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
AT&T Denies Gay Employee Sick Leave to Care for Ailing Partner - Towleroad, More than gay news. More gay men

"Bryan Dickenson and Bill Sugg have been together for 30 years. Sugg suffered a stroke in September and Dickenson, who has worked for AT&T for the past 12 years, is using vacation time so he can visit Sugg for one afternoon a week at a rehabilitation facility because AT&T refuses to give Dickenson the 12 weeks of sick leave that would be offered to heterosexual spouses in the same circumstances. Dickerson is concerned that when time runs out he'll be fired for requesting additional time off to care for his longtime companion."

"...But AT&T has stood its ground, confirming in a statement to Dallas Voice this week that the company isn’t granting Dickenson leave under FMLA because neither federal nor state law recognizes Sugg as his domestic partner."
I don't know about this case but in general AT&T is quite gay friendly. I have worked there for many years and they offer the same benefits to gays as they do to regular employees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top