Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

530 posts, read 780,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
The common cold is caused by 1000's of variations of rhinoviruses, coronaviruses, adenoviruses, enteroviruses etc, etc, etc.
Yes I understand that but what I am saying is viruses basically work the same way just some "run a course" What I learned in micro and such is as the virus enters the cell it incases itself in the material of that cell, once inside the cell undetected it uses the cells resources to "build itself" it ultimately lyses the cell moving on to the next infecting several others, but most "common cold" viruses run a natural course and are finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
AIDs, in most every instance can be avoided by not engaging in gay sex or shared needles.

Cancer, heart disease and others are more important.
I only agree with half your statement in the first line. What you should have said was it can be avoided by using condoms and left out the part about engaging in gay sex.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
AIDs, in most every instance can be avoided by not engaging in gay sex or shared needles.

Not true at all. The VAST majority of people with HIV/AIDS are heterosexual non needle drug users.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Not true at all. The VAST majority of people with HIV/AIDS are heterosexual non needle drug users.
Thanks for point that fact out here, ya beat me to it.
Casper

Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

Dear God, I hope you are reading this post.

I hope so, so when any individual who believes that someone should DIE for being a homosexual or sharing needles, comes before St. Peter, then you can send them on the fast track straight to whatever type of hell you deem fit.

I have the feeling, that if Jesus were real, and alive today, he wouldn't think twice about healing someone who is homosexual, and has AIDS. But I have higher expectations for my deity.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I only agree with half your statement in the first line. What you should have said was it can be avoided by using condoms and left out the part about engaging in gay sex.

Have you ever seen the statistics for the percentage of gays with AIDS? Check the CDC. According to them the hghest risk for AIDS is gay sex and next drug use (sharing needles) It's not my stats, it's theirs.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:

How do you decide which diseases are "more important"? Is it by the sheer numbers of people affected, or is there a moral judgment involved?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:59 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I would think that scientists would be working on a cure for the common cold if that really were the case.
The cold is not fatal. Hundreds of millions of people spend countless hundreds of millions every single year for various cold treatments. Exactly what financial incentive would there be in curing such a cash cow?

When it comes to fast and highly contagious killers like Polio, measles, various pox, etc....(i.e. any disease that could very quickly eliminate a viable customer base) cures or at least viable inoculations readily become reality. I realize that connecting the two is a logical flaw but the coinkydink is more than a bit interesting.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Have you ever seen the statistics for the percentage of gays with AIDS? Check the CDC. According to them the hghest risk for AIDS is gay sex and next drug use (sharing needles) It's not my stats, it's theirs.
If you're only talking about the United States then you're half correct. I didn't realized this conversation was limited to HIV/AIDS in the US.

Worldwide, since 1981, there have been about 60-70 million people who have had (both died from and currently living with) HIV/AIDS (~28 deaths, ~40 million living with). A total of about 1 million have been in the US (.5 died, .5 have). The VAST, VAST, VAST majority of these 70 million people are heterosexual, non needle drug users.

Historically in the US most people have gotten AIDS from male-male sex and drug needle use. However, that is changing, and in terms of needle use, already has. In 2007 (most recent statistics), 36,000 Americans became infected with HIV. 46% from male-male sex, 31% from male-female sex, and 17% from needle drug use. Within a few years most new cases of HIV infection in the US will be from heterosexual sex (gay sex still being more risky do to homosexual/heterosexual demographics).

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Davos, Switzerland (CNN) -- Bill and Melinda Gates announced plans Friday to invest $10 billion in the fight against a number of illnesses including AIDS and said the record donation could save nearly nine million lives.
Quote:
Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, they said the 10-year program will focus on vaccines for AIDS, tuberculosis, rota virus and pneumonia

Gates: $10B vaccine program could save 8.7M lives - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies