Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
George Augustus Polgreen Bridgetower (1780-1860)
Black Violinist Accompanied by Beethoven
Bridgetower Sonata Was Renamed for Kreutzer

John Blanke, Black Trumpeter

It appears that John Blanke, a Black trumpeter, was a regular musician at the courts of both Henry VII and Henry VIII. Musicians' payments were noted in the accounts of the Treasurer of the Chamber, who was responsible for paying the wages. There are several payments recorded to a 'John Blanke, the blacke trumpeter'. This trumpeter was paid 8d a day, first by Henry VII and then from 1509 by Henry VIII.

I thought this was Prince!

Man...I am learning so much!! Keep thes great posts coming....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So can anyone tell me why THIS thread has to be in the Political and Other Controversies Forum??? Why hasn't it been moved to the Education or the History Forum??? My biggest beef is that this thread doesn't belong in this C-D sub forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

A thread simply listing black figures in American history or statistics relating to the American black community has no place in this forum. How is this controversial?

Why is this black love fest in this forum????

How is this thread even politically controversial? Do the black members of C-D have to have their self esteem boost thread in here?? Where is the debate (except for my posts)??

So should all the other special theme holidays and months have threads in this forum also???

BTW you black posters forgot to make an MLK day appreciation thread in here...
I wondered why this was here, too. But now I guess your reaction perfectly illustrates why...it is still a subject of controversy to promote positive, even lofty, images of African-Americans to a generally uninformed, bigoted audience. I applaud all the posters that provided numerous entries to expand my mind and confirm my beleif that thousands of heroes go unsung every day.

Garrett Morgan - Gas Mask and Traffic Signalfile:///Users/tcrackly/Desktop/morgan.gif (broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
The official black history month thread:-morgan.gif  

Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM

http://www.sweetauburncurbmarket.com/art/recipe_chitlins.jpg (broken link)
Soul Food

The term soul food became popular in the 1960s. The origins of soul food, however, are much older and can be traced back to Africa. Foods such as rice, sorghum (known by Europeans as "guinea corn"), and okra — all common elements in West African cuisine — were introduced to the Americas as a result of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and became dietary staples among enslaved Africans. They also comprise an important part of American southern cooking. Many culinary historians believe that in the beginning of the 14th century, around the time of early African exploration, European explorers brought their own food supplies and introduced them into the African diet. Foods such as corn and cassava from the Americas, turnips from Morocco and cabbage from Portugal would play an important part in the history of African American cuisine.

When the European slave trade began in the early 1400s, the diet of newly enslaved Africans changed on the long journeys from their homeland. It was during this time that some of the indigenous crops of Africa began showing up in the Americas.

Enslavers fed their captives as cheaply as possible, often with throwaway foods from the plantation, forcing slaves to make do with the ingredients at hand. In slave households, vegetables were the tops of turnips and beets and dandelions. Soon, slaves were cooking with new types of greens: collards, kale, cress, mustard, and pokeweed.

They also developed recipes which used lard; cornmeal; and offal, discarded cuts of meat such as pigs' feet, oxtail, ham hocks, chitterlings (pig small intestines), pig ears, hog jowls, tripe and skin.

Cooks added onions, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf to enhance the flavors. Some slaves supplemented their meager diets by maintaining small plots made available to them to grow their own vegetables, and many engaged in subsistence fishing and hunting, which yielded wild game for the table. Foods such as raccoon, squirrel, opossum, turtle, and rabbit were, until the 1950s, very common fare among the still predominantly rural and southern African American population.

Soul food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Soul Food

The term soul food became popular in the 1960s. The origins of soul food, however, are much older and can be traced back to Africa. Foods such as rice, sorghum (known by Europeans as "guinea corn"), and okra — all common elements in West African cuisine — were introduced to the Americas as a result of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and became dietary staples among enslaved Africans. They also comprise an important part of American southern cooking. Many culinary historians believe that in the beginning of the 14th century, around the time of early African exploration, European explorers brought their own food supplies and introduced them into the African diet. Foods such as corn and cassava from the Americas, turnips from Morocco and cabbage from Portugal would play an important part in the history of African American cuisine.

When the European slave trade began in the early 1400s, the diet of newly enslaved Africans changed on the long journeys from their homeland. It was during this time that some of the indigenous crops of Africa began showing up in the Americas.

Enslavers fed their captives as cheaply as possible, often with throwaway foods from the plantation, forcing slaves to make do with the ingredients at hand. In slave households, vegetables were the tops of turnips and beets and dandelions. Soon, slaves were cooking with new types of greens: collards, kale, cress, mustard, and pokeweed.

They also developed recipes which used lard; cornmeal; and offal, discarded cuts of meat such as pigs' feet, oxtail, ham hocks, chitterlings (pig small intestines), pig ears, hog jowls, tripe and skin.

Cooks added onions, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf to enhance the flavors. Some slaves supplemented their meager diets by maintaining small plots made available to them to grow their own vegetables, and many engaged in subsistence fishing and hunting, which yielded wild game for the table. Foods such as raccoon, squirrel, opossum, turtle, and rabbit were, until the 1950s, very common fare among the still predominantly rural and southern African American population.

Soul food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Speaking of.....is it crawfish season yet?!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Interesting article about "black dispatches", black servants during the Civil War who provided critical intelligence gathering to Union leaders by eavesdropping on unsuspecting Confederate leaders while in the normal course of their duties as slaves to these leaders.

A portion below from cia.gov

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...hes/index.html:

Quote:
Black Dispatches resulted from frontline tactical debriefings of slaves--either runaways or those having just come under Union control. Black Americans also contributed, however, to tactical and strategic Union intelligence through behind-the-lines missions and agent-in-place operations. Two such Union agents functioned as long-term penetrations of Confederate President Jefferson Davis's "White House" staff in Richmond, Virginia. Even such a prominent woman as Harriet Tubman, best known for her activities involving the "underground railroad," played an important role in Union intelligence activities.

The value of the information that could be obtained, both passively and actively, by black Americans behind Confederate lines was clearly understood by most Union generals early in the war. Popular recognition of this was also apparent through a stream of articles and stories in the Northern press during the war. Gen. Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, was equally aware, and in May 1863 he said, "The chief source of information to the enemy is through our Negroes." 2 Because of the culture of slavery in the South, Negroes involved in menial activities could move about without suspicion. Also, officials and officers tended to ignore their presence as personal servants when discussing war-related matters.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,327,477 times
A Philip Randolph and the members of the BSCP understood the power of collective work and community involvement. They improved the quality of life for themselves and made sure their efforts improved the lives of those who were to follow.They worked together to fight many battles and won many victories for African American people.They demonstrated and personified the meaning of the word brotherhood. These African American men were American heroes. A Philip Randolph first planned a march on Washington in 1941 to protest against governmental hiring practices that excluded African Americans from federal employement and federal contracts. Randolph understood that this type of racial discrimination was the reason for the economic disparities between whites and blacks in this country.Randolph proposed that African Americans march on Washington to demand jobs and freedom. Because of this President Roosevelt signed excutive order 8802 which banned, discrimination in the federal government and defense industries in june 1941.
The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters was the very first African American labor union to sign a collective bargaining agreement with a major U S corporation. A Philip Randolph was the determined dedicated, and articulate President of this union.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 AM

258 posts, read 448,248 times
Default Who Was Henrietta Lacks???

Who was Henrietta Lacks?
She was a black tobacco farmer from southern Virginia who got cervical cancer when she was 30. A doctor at Johns Hopkins took a piece of her tumor without telling her and sent it down the hall to scientists there who had been trying to grow tissues in culture for decades without success. No one knows why, but her cells never died.
Why are her cells so important?
Henrietta’s cells were the first immortal human cells ever grown in culture. They were essential to developing the polio vaccine. They went up in the first space missions to see what would happen to cells in zero gravity. Many scientific landmarks since then have used her cells, including cloning, gene mapping and in vitro fertilization.

[LEFT]
Read more: Henrietta Lacks’ ‘Immortal’ Cells | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine
[/LEFT]

Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 AM

http://www.edexcellence.net/flypaper/images/20080910harriettubman.jpg (broken link)
Harriet Tubman

Born: c. 1820, Dorchester County, Maryland
Died: March 10, 1913, Auburn, New York
Harriet Tubman was a runaway slave from Maryland who became known as the "Moses of her people." Over the course of 10 years, and at great personal risk, she led hundreds of slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad, a secret network of safe houses where runaway slaves could stay on their journey north to freedom. She later became a leader in the abolitionist movement, and during the Civil War she was a spy for the federal forces in South Carolina as well as a nurse.

As a child in Dorchester County, Maryland, Tubman was beaten and whipped by her various masters to whom she had been hired out. Early in her life, she suffered a traumatic head wound when she was hit by a heavy metal weight thrown by an irate overseer, intending to hit another slave. The injury caused disabling seizures, headaches, powerful visionary and dream activity, and spells of hypersomnia which occurred throughout her entire life. A devout Christian, she ascribed her visions and vivid dreams to premonitions from God.

In 1849, Tubman escaped to Philadelphia, then immediately returned to Maryland to rescue her family. Slowly, one group at a time, she brought relatives with her out of the state, and eventually guided dozens of other slaves to freedom. Traveling by night and in extreme secrecy, Tubman (or "Moses", as she was called) "never lost a passenger," as she later put it at women's suffrage meetings. Large rewards were offered for the capture and return of many of the people she helped escape, but no one ever knew it was Harriet Tubman who was helping them. When the far-reaching United States Fugitive Slave Law was passed in 1850, she helped guide fugitives farther north into Canada, and helped newly freed slaves find work.

When the American Civil War began, Tubman worked for the Union Army, first as a cook and nurse, and then as an armed scout and spy. The first woman to lead an armed expedition in the war, she guided the raid on the Combahee River, which liberated more than seven hundred slaves. After the war, she retired to the family home in Auburn, New York, where she cared for her aging parents. She was active in the women's suffrage movement until illness overtook her and she had to be admitted to a home for elderly African-Americans she had helped open years earlier.

Harriet Tubman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 AM

924 posts, read 1,644,101 times
I'm all for equality among races. Yes, I feel terrible that certain individuals had to endure what they did for ridiculous reasons. However, I think Black History Month is dumb. By trying to make up for things in the past, society has almost become reverse racism.

So because people with the same skin color as me committed horrific acts, I have to feel indebted to black people just because I share skin color with some sick individuals? Sounds racist to me. And really, that's what society has taught me. I'm white, male, and from the U.S. (the very definition of the supposed 'oppressor'), so I must be a bully to foreign countries, a wife beater, and a bigot apparently.

When are we going to get our White History Month? Or the WET Channel? How about a historically white college? Nah, that's racist apparently...

The real racism is naming these great contributors to our society as "Great African American Contributors". If racism truly no longer existed, we wouldn't feel the need to assign race at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM

530 posts, read 779,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I'm all for equality among races. Yes, I feel terrible that certain individuals had to endure what they did for ridiculous reasons. However, I think Black History Month is dumb. By trying to make up for things in the past, society has almost become reverse racism.

So because people with the same skin color as me committed horrific acts, I have to feel indebted to black people just because I share skin color with some sick individuals? Sounds racist to me. And really, that's what society has taught me. I'm white, male, and from the U.S. (the very definition of the supposed 'oppressor'), so I must be a bully to foreign countries, a wife beater, and a bigot apparently.

When are we going to get our White History Month? Or the WET Channel? How about a historically white college? Nah, that's racist apparently...

The real racism is naming these great contributors to our society as "Great African American Contributors". If racism truly no longer existed, we wouldn't feel the need to assign race at all.
I am not sure if people are "trying to make up for the past" exactly with black history month. I have learned so much from this thread that I may not have otherwise, very valuable people to this country and to ALL of it's people not just those that are black. What is the problem with learning a little something about other people anyway? I saw in another post a few pages back that a certain someone (we all know who) said something to the effect of Black History month being offensive to non-black people... To that I call BS I am a white female, in fact my black friends like to poke fun at me telling me I should not even be allowed to claim white b/c I am dam* near clear! lol This thread and Black History month is the complete opposite of offensive, some of the people posted about on this thread I may have never heard of if not for this thread and it makes me have an even greater appreciation for his month of learning and celebration. I am appreciative of this thread and most of the people who have posted here! P.S. You all with the food pics...yumm I am starving now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies