Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 05:10 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

Norbert Rillieux1, 1806 – 1894
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/norbertrillieux-tm.jpg?w=184&h=300 (broken link)
Invented: Sugar refining machinery
Norbert Rillieux was born on March 17, 1806 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Norbert was born a free man, although his mother was a slave. His father was a wealthy White engineer involved in the cotton industry. Rillieux patented the multiple-effect vacuum pan evaporator. This device heated sugar cane juice in a partial vacuum, reducing its boiling point, allowing much greater fuel efficiency. This innovation, adopted in sugar refining, escalated production, reduced the price, and was responsible for transforming sugar into a household item. Similar technology was subsequently developed for the production of soap, gelatin, and glue. Some have called Rillieux’s evaporator the greatest invention in the history of American chemical engineering.
Top 10 African American Inventors - Listverse

__________________________________________________ __________

Benjamin Bradley
(1830?-?)A slave, Bradley was employed at a printing office and later at the Annapolis Naval Academy, where he helped set up scientific experiments. In the 1840s he developed a steam engine for a war ship. Unable to patent his work, he sold it and with the proceeds purchased his freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Can never have a nice thread like this without people coming to ruin it.
I know.....just ignore it.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Faith Ringgold, contemporary artist and author of children's books.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Reginald Lewis

John H Johnson

Bob Johnson

Earl graves

AG Gaston

Don H. Barden

R. Donahue Peebles

Last edited by Ron.; 02-24-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Do we have a "white history month"?
White is a very broad term that includes North Africans and Middle Easterners. Most Whites' culture comes from their ancestors' nation of origin. Technically, there is no unified White American culture. Even the term "White America" is somewhat inaccurate because it is usually just used to mean people of Western European descent. It almost never covers Eastern Europeans, North Africans, and Middle Easterners. I grew up in a majority Hungarian neighborhood. They didn't fit the mold of the stereotypical White American (as portrayed in movies, sitcoms, etc).

On the other hand, Black people weren't allowed to bring their culture with them. So they had to create new customs here. That is why our culture is much more unified. It's mostly of American origin.
Quote:
Why not? How about a "Jewish history month"? Jews have also contributed a lot to America.
May.
Quote:
And why don't we have an American Indian month? My wife has Cherokee blood. I think her ancestors should be recognized.
November
Quote:
Sorry. Your post just soured me. I knew I wouldn't have to read far before I would find some rather dubious characters being lauded.
Calling W.E.B. Dubois dubious is a surefire way to destroy any credibility you do have.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
White is a very broad term that includes North Africans and Middle Easterners. Most Whites' culture comes from their ancestors' nation of origin. Technically, there is no unified White American culture. Even the term "White America" is somewhat inaccurate because it is usually just used to mean people of Western European descent. It almost never covers Eastern Europeans, North Africans, and Middle Easterners. I grew up in a majority Hungarian neighborhood. They didn't fit the mold of the stereotypical White American (as portrayed in movies, sitcoms, etc).

On the other hand, Black people weren't allowed to bring their culture with them. So they had to create new customs here. That is why our culture is much more unified. It's mostly of American origin.

May.

November

Calling W.E.B. Dubois dubious is a surefire way to destroy any credibility you do have.
Nice post but...

It seems that there are many on CD that have no social etiquette and feel they have the right to be insulting and voice their opinion regardless...

They are not going to be changed. They're here to share their views and they don't care who it offends.

That's what the ignore feature is for.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Sorry you picked this man, a self avowed communist! Were you not aware of that fact?

He deserves no recognition in America, "black history month or not", unless we are now embracing communism? Maybe we are. We elected Barack H. Obama, who pals around with the likes of Van Jones, and other communists, and he has said that these are the people he sought out while in college.

Do we have a "white history month"? Why not? How about a "Jewish history month"? Jews have also contributed a lot to America.

And why don't we have an American Indian month? My wife has Cherokee blood. I think her ancestors should be recognized.

Sorry. Your post just soured me. I knew I wouldn't have to read far before I would find some rather dubious characters being lauded.
So what if you believe he was a communist, he was open to any legitimate method that may attempt to eradicate the presence of apartheid racism that manifested itself into every aspect of the black man life in this country.

Slavery did not stop it just re-invented itself under a different set of norms.

Racial exclusion, intimidation. No right to vote, separate but equal, no access to higher education or decent jobs, no respect as citizens or humans, and this is after the so-called ending of slavery.

Before you attempt to slur a great man ans a great American, do a little research!!

W. E. B. Du Bois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"..William Edward Burghardt Du Bois (pronounced /duːˈbɔɪs/ doo-BOYSS[1]) (February 23, 1868 – August 27, 1963) was an American civil rights activist, Pan-Africanist, sociologist, historian, author, and editor. Historian David Levering Lewis wrote, "In the course of his long, turbulent career, W. E. B. Du Bois attempted virtually every possible solution to the problem of twentieth-century racism— scholarship, propaganda, integration, national self-determination, human rights, cultural and economic separatism, politics, international communism, expatriation, third world solidarity."

Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Atlanta GA Black History Pt 7.............................

Atlanta GA Black History Pt 7.............................

The National Register of Historic Places lists many properties significant for African American History. We take the opportunity of African American History Month to highlight just some of the properties that exemplify the contributions of African American culture and achievement

National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Default Atlanta GA Black History Pt 8.............................

Atlanta GA Black History Pt 8.............................
Spelman College Atlanta GA

http://www.spelman.edu/

Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Atlanta GA Black History Pt 8.............................

Atlanta GA Black History Pt. 9......................

Quality education for African Americans particularly in the area of mathematics and science, continues to be an unresolved issue.

An Analysis of the( (MS)²) Program from Early African American Scholars' Perspectives: One Program Aimed at Improving African American Students' Achievement in Mathematics and Science Related Fields (http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/3/0/5/4/1/p305412_index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies