Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There were 4 links, bother reading anything except for the one sentence blurb I pulled from the article?

They can, especially if they're xian.

It surprises me that people can't put themselves in the position of the other person, be it these families, the children (don't forge the american child fetishists), an Iraqi mother, etc.

Well Dear, apparently your reading prowess is far superior to mine because you're certainly reading in a lot that I don't see. You must live in a very colorful world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
It looks to me that some entrepreneurs were taking advantage of a business opportunity. What ever could be wrong with that? They were only following the prime dictate of the God of Greed, "Money is where you make it and more is always better and how is irrelevant."

sarcasm

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They've shown nothing else.
It doesn't matter what the motivation is, they committed crimes and kidnapped kids.

If you don't know the laws, you don't do what you feel like doing.
If nothing else, they're as stupid as the day is long.
You can't tell me that they didn't have a brain among them?
I for one agree with you 100% and also add that groups like this that swoop in to "help" create more chaos for the professional organizations that do this type of work all the time
From what I've read this is the first time any of them have been to Haiti

Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
this story aggravates me more and more. according the various news sites:

-at least 10 of the 33 are NOT orphans. a couple were crying for their parents and some even knew their home telephone numbers and wanted to call home. one girl was told she was going to a summer camp/boarding school

-the 10 Americans had little/no experience w/ Haiti, international charity work, or international adoption regulations

I still don't understand what the hell they were thinking, if they were thinking at all, which doesn't seem to be the case. regardless of their intentions, what they did was reprehensible. it will now be a lot harder for legit groups w/ good intentions to go in there and help b/c this group did so much wrong.
Sure she was.. a beach front "indoctrination" camp of Southern Baptist beliefs in the Dominican Republic

I agree they absolutely caused more harm then good, taking away from people actually doing some good

Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Tonight on the news they interviewed a lot of the parents whose children were on that bus. Every single one of them said they had signed permission for the missionairies to take their children because they wanted to get their children out of Haiti and have a chance at a better life. So much for the children being "stolen."
So where are the letters,,hmmmm
that alone does not give permission to move a child across an international border

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
So where are the letters,,hmmmm
that alone does not give permission to move a child across an international border
No to mention the Haitian people are in the midst of a crisis. Offering to take these children away from their families to a "better life" with "promises of schooling, soccer fields and even a swimming pool" is emotionally manipulative in the extreme. If people really wanted to help these kids then help provide temporary housing, food, clothing, schooling, logistical assistance, and perhaps at a later stage get involved in adoptions for children that have been left orphaned.

For Haitian parents, giving kids to U.S. group backfires painfully - CNN.com

Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 AM

301 posts, read 282,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Let's face it. You feel contempt for almost everyone. But, that aside, I think these people meant well and thought they were saving the kids. A lot of parents in Haiti are begging Americans to take their kids out of the nightmare and, sad as that is, it does show a parent's love of putting their child's well being ahead of their own.
If you turn your children over to total strangers, to take to god knows where, no paperwork, no hint of documentation, is that really putting the well being of the child first?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No to mention the Haitian people are in the midst of a crisis. Offering to take these children away from their families to a "better life" with "promises of schooling, soccer fields and even a swimming pool" is emotionally manipulative in the extreme. If people really wanted to help these kids then help provide temporary housing, food, clothing, schooling, logistical assistance, and perhaps at a later stage get involved in adoptions for children that have been left orphaned.

For Haitian parents, giving kids to U.S. group backfires painfully - CNN.com
Absolutely logical, reasonable, and prudent way to handle the situation. What were those adults from that church THINKING by sending a handful of adults into Haiti to grab children?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM

I personally have no sympathy for them. If they languish in a Hatian jail for a few weeks maybe they won't be so hasty next time. It's clear they didn't have a clue at real relief work & aid and are now themselves a burden to those who are trying to give real aid & relief.

There just isn't any excuse for their stupidity

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
My knee-jerk reaction to this story was child trafficking. Fact is, we don't know the intentions of these missionaries yet, and to demonize them before knowing all the details is wrong. Missionaries the world over do a lot of good... things that most of us would rather leave "to someone else", and they do this out of the goodness of their hearts. The overwhelming majority of missionaries are good, honest people.

They will be investigated and, if appropriate, charges will be filed. My hope is that this isn't a case of child trafficking.
So we don't knkow the intentions of these *missionaries* yet (would you think the same way regarding anyone else who certainly appeared to be breaking teh law?) and to demonize them before knowing all the details is wrong.Probably correct about demonizing the accused before knowing all the details; however, there may be a bias in such a situation because there surely seem to be many extremely zealot people out there who call themselves *Christians* these days. Why should someone be given more benefit of the doubt simply because they call themselves *Christians*? The behavior of those peopole was very suspect and that seems to be the reason they are in jail at this point. They were possibly very stupid or over zealous or up to something they thought they knew better how to handle than the many other people and aid agencies working in Haiti. That sound arrogant or ignorant or unsavory to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies