Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Then what's the difference between liking Green Day's music and the right-wing's reactions to Madonna, Bruce, etc.?
Punk rock fans generally are rebelling against the establishment. Such an album resonated with punk rock fans and people who already hated Bush. Dixie Chicks are country music and their fans tend to be more loving of God and Country.

And if you want shocking, try Alice Cooper's "I Love The Dead". It's a nice loving poem.
I love the dead before they're cold
their bluing flesh for me to hold
cadaver eyes upon me see
nothing
I love the dead before they rise
no farewell no good-byes
I never even knew you're now rotting faces
I have ever so many uses for you darling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Then what's the difference between liking Green Day's music and the right-wing's reactions to Madonna, Bruce, etc.?
When I pay to go see an artist perform, I pay to hear their music. What I DON'T pay for is to hear their personal political views spewed to the crowd.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When I pay to go see an artist perform, I pay to hear their music. What I DON'T pay for is to hear their personal political views spewed to the crowd.
Sort of like if we went to a political rally for a politician and he decides to start trying to sing songs.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yep!

Last artist I saw in concert was Billy Joel. Only appeal he made to the masses was apologizing and explaining that this particular concert was NOT the "last play at Shea" as it was supposed to be.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 PM

With the old Alice Cooper, you pay to see a performance. The album is just the soundtrack for the show.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Never heard of it or him.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
I agree with the comments: just like that one lady in New York in 1972 wondered how Nixon won the election when "nobody I know voted for him", a lot of people in Middle America simply never heard of Green Day or never heard the album, or didn't understand the lyrics.

As for myself: I love Green Day, loved the album, loved the political sentiments on the album, but most of the songs were personal, not political; the theme was alienation. It was the Quadrophenia or the Wall of my age group (29 in 2004) and down from there, to about mid-teens, and among us it was a hit.

There were certainly scattered attacks on Bush and the Iraq war, mostly pretty oblique.

I was indeed disappointed in not seeing more scowls of outrage from the right after they performed the title song at the Grammys, but I can't have everything.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 PM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
You may not be hearing too many objections because some of American Idiot's lyrics seem to be disparaging liberals' Obama hysteria and what has turned out to be the Obama scam...

"Don't want to be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new media
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind f**k America."

That describes nearly perfectly the MSM's gushing, slobbering love affair with Obama.

"Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alien nation.
Where everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue."

Those lyrics describe many who are dissatisfied with Obama's poor leadership and blatant corruption (closed-door deals with the unions, etc.).

Green Day hit the Obama scam squarely on the head without even realizing it.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I agree with the comments: just like that one lady in New York in 1972 wondered how Nixon won the election when "nobody I know voted for him", a lot of people in Middle America simply never heard of Green Day or never heard the album, or didn't understand the lyrics.

As for myself: I love Green Day, loved the album, loved the political sentiments on the album, but most of the songs were personal, not political; the theme was alienation. It was the Quadrophenia or the Wall of my age group (29 in 2004) and down from there, to about mid-teens, and among us it was a hit.

There were certainly scattered attacks on Bush and the Iraq war, mostly pretty oblique.

I was indeed disappointed in not seeing more scowls of outrage from the right after they performed the title song at the Grammys, but I can't have everything.
That does not stop them from hating hip-hop and hip-hop artist.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Doesn't anyone beside me listen to music simply because it sounds good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies