Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Tebow's family paid property taxes, which, in most cases, covers publicly funded education and it's sports programs. Therefore, he was able to play in his local school district's team by virtue of his family paying into the system.
The key word being "local" school district. He and his mom moved into another more football-friendly district to further his football career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The key word being "local" school district. He and his mom moved into another more football-friendly district to further his football career.
The liberals squeal about homeschooled children not having enough "socialization" opportunities,....then squeal when they participate in organized sports that give them same.

One can get dizzy watching the liberals chasing their tails.....

Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
True, but parents move to help their children all the time. If I had a kid and I found out the next school district over had a much better educational program I would seriously consider moving there so my child gets a better education. Is there anything wrong with that?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
The liberals squeal about homeschooled children not having enough "socialization" opportunities,....then squeal when they participate in organized sports that give them same.

One can get dizzy watching the liberals chasing their tails.....
I have no problem with homeschooled children participating in high school sports, and I have said so repeatedly. I have a problem with parents, particlulary these supposedly morally superior parents, trying to game the system so little Timmy can play for a "better" football team. I also have no problem with home schooling - for other people.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
yes, they moved into another district, but the 'local' taxes (county tax) they paid was in the same COUNTY...so they did pay

Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
True, but parents move to help their children all the time. If I had a kid and I found out the next school district over had a much better educational program I would seriously consider moving there so my child gets a better education. Is there anything wrong with that?
There is something wrong with that when you rent a cheap apartment as a secondary residence or use a relative's address and maintain your family home in another district. People here in Georgia go to JAIL for that. If you actually MOVE there and break ties with your primary residence- either by selling it or renting it to another family, that is fine. Anything less than that is fraud.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It has to do with the FACT that when opportunities present themselves to help schools of all economic levels better themselves - to give kids a better education - Unions fight it tooth and nail. They do not want to do anything that will show the world how inept they are,
My original response was to the poster who asserted that home schooled children "wipe the floor" with public school students when it comes to SATs and other standardized tests.

If you want to discuss teacher unions and their effect on academic achievement, start another thread.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
more ineffectual whineing from the God hater that is the OP ...SO what are you going to do about it? Just like everything else people on CD cry about not a friggin thing.......Just have to suck it up .....
P.S. Don't worry God will be there when you cry out for him, and your still on my prayer list......
God is always there whether or not you cry out for him. He sees every evil thing the "Christians" and Republicans do. He sees all of it all the time. And He gets especially pissed when you do it in His name.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Mr. Obama wants to revamp healthcare and education. It's time for school vouchers, and open the door of public education to the private sector. Let competition rein. Let those who produce the best results be rewarded for their efforts. If that means more homeschooling, more private schools, or more for-profit schools then that's what needs to be done. Vouchers would allow equal access for everyone seeking a better education.

The public school system has had a monopoly long enough. It taxes at will, and then spends those taxes as it sees fit,....all in the name of the "children",...playing on the emotions of all parents. I've seen tax dollars at work all my life,...multi-million dollar stadiums/schools named for the ones who go the bonds passed, and the taxes levied. I've lived in the districts where a family had no choice where their children went to school because they couldn't pay the property taxes AND the cost of private schools.

I support vouchers, and giving the parents the ability to CHOOSE where their children are educated. The state measures the success of its public schools, so the yard stick is already in place. It's time to let the private sector compete with the public school system, and return our education system to the priority of educating our youth.
I don't know about other states, but here in Florida, private and home schooled students are not required to take the Florida Academic Assessment test, so they are almost never measured by the same yard stick as are public schooled students.

So, what would you do with your voucher? Send your child to private school? What makes a private school "better" than a public school?

Are the teachers better qualified? No. Except for the very prestigious private schools that match public school salaries (and would most likely NOT take voucher students), most private school teachers are no better qualified than public school teachers and, in fact, often do not possess the same credentials as public school teachers.

Are the students smarter? Sometimes, but not always. Once again, the more prestigious private schools do have entrance exams and they only accept the better students. Other private schools - those that would most likely take voucher students - accept students of all ability levels.

Are the school facilities better? This is almost a categorical no, with the exception, once again, of the more prestigious (and expensive) private schools.

Are the parents better? This is almost a categorical yes. Private school parents are almost always invested in their children's educations. They are concerned enough to expend the time, energy, and money to place their child in what they believe is a better educational environment. They have a vested interest in keeping their child in the private school, which often has stringent attendance, homework, grade average, etc requirements, and they pay attention to what their child is doing in that school.

And, for those of you who truly believe that it is the teaching staff that makes the difference in student learning, I propose an experiment. Take the staff of the best high school in your city/district and swap it with the worst high school for 3 years. Monitor the test scores of the students. I would put money on the fact that the students at the worst high school still score at the bottom and those at the best still score at the top.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
and so they paid property taxes right???? If that's the case, then there's no reason to whine. Now I can see if they rented in the district just so he can play football for the local good team ... but again, if nobody blew a stink about it, or reported it to the state level athletics organization ... well, even this liberal says ... shut up haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies