Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about Tim Tebow. He is a great football player and I hope he does well in the NFL. Lord knows they need some excitement there. But he is also a religious nutcase.
I was shocked when I found out that he played high school football for a school that he never attended for even one class! It seems like the state of Florida allows the "home schooled" to play sports for any school they want without attending school there. No only that but they may go there for a variety of activity including the free lunch program if they wish.
And unlike most athletes who must play for the school they attend- usually the one in their neighbourhood, the home schooled religious nutcases can actually CHOOSE the school they want to play for.
In my view if the school is not good nuff for your kids to attend, they should not be going there for other things. If they home schoolers want to have athletics they ought to have their OWN league- maybe "Jesus League" or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
I kind of agree with this.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
I agree with the basis of your argument, however... all the religious nutcase/anti-religion mumbo jumbo really has no merit in this discussion. Home schooled children should not be allowed to play for any school they want. They should not be allowed to play on any state funded team in my honest opinion. They should have to start their own team. And then they can schedule games against schools/each other.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Why? Their taxes pay for public schools just like yours do. You do also know that not all home-schoolers are religious right?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
The realtor who I worked with last is one of these "spiritual" non Christian types, and also homeschools.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
In some areas the public schools are doing a pretty good job of working with homeschooling families. Plenty of home schooled students take one or two classes at their local public school; I think it's a positive trend. And somehow I doubt that too many religious nutcases choose to play sports for schools that are terribly far from their homes.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
I've never lived in Florida but don't home-schooled folks pay public school taxes?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:18 PM

146 posts, read 112,484 times
agnostics and their children that don't pay for their public education independent of their tax dollars should be banned from high schools sports as well

Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why? Their taxes pay for public schools just like yours do. You do also know that not all home-schoolers are religious right?
Well my tax money pays for lots of things. It pays for the gym in the White House but do I get to go there and use it? It pays for the day care center in the federal building downtown here but I cannot put my kids into it. It pays for lots and lots of things I do not get to use. If you are going to use the facilities and programs of a public school then enroll there. Otherwise stay home.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've never lived in Florida but don't home-schooled folks pay public school taxes?
Don't know about Florida, but here the parents of homeschooled children pay school property taxes just like those who send their children to public schools. They should be able to let their children partake of classes/extracurricular activities the same as other children.

As for the religious rant,....the OP really needs to get a life. Because he/she finds religious people distasteful is no reason to punish their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies