U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM
 
2,229 posts, read 1,485,448 times
Reputation: 623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
...but the fact of the matter is that the majority of these people (700+ not even charged or released under Bush) were innocent & if anything we've grown terrorists by unlawful incarceration for YEARS...
Source
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,556,946 times
Reputation: 2810
Yeah, if we closed Gitmo, the flood of terrorists would cease. They can live with the missiles from the drones dropping into their villages, but Gitmo makes us look mean. Appearance versus substance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,895 posts, read 16,830,851 times
Reputation: 6456
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If they are innocent, why then is the Obama administration planning to hold many of them indefinitely without charging them (continuing the same policy that Bush held)?

Because he is no different then the president, they wish to forget, don't you know, haven't you heard, Obama, is all TALK! but no action.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
 
29,986 posts, read 39,429,634 times
Reputation: 12792
"The View" is not the place to find intellegent life, period.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:25 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 6,089,399 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If they are innocent, why then is the Obama administration planning to hold many of them indefinitely without charging them (continuing the same policy that Bush held)?
Re-read this a few times, and see if it makes any sense ... any valid point whatsoever?

The question should be if they are being held indefinitely, and are guilty of a crime ... why aren't they being charged and tried?

That they are being held without charge by Bush, and then by Obama doesn't prove they are guilty of something ... it just proves that two successive presidents are supporting and extending the same illegal policies in violation of international law, as well as all law this nation of ours claims to uphold.

Man ... just reading that statement and trying to process it is enough to give one a headache.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 36,870,090 times
Reputation: 8079
Elizabeth Hasselbeck is hardly a pundit. She's just one more in a long line of "purty girls" who can spew republican talking points and be taken seriously because they so gosh darn cute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 6,089,399 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Source
Ex-Bush official: Many at Gitmo are innocent - Guantanamo- msnbc.com

Judge Confirms Innocent Gitmo Detainee Tortured to Get False Confessions by Andy Worthington -- Antiwar.com



This one is especially troubling ... US may not release Gitmo detainees even if found innocent ... because they MIGHT return to the battlefield.

U.S. May Not Release Guantanamo Prisoners: Even If Found Innocent of Charges Against Them

Deny people of basic human rights, and it's only a matter of time before such things come full circle. Given the patriot Act and other legislation granting the president powers to label ANYONE an enemy combatant, this could become YOU one day ... Mr American Public.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 6,089,399 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Elizabeth Hasselbeck is hardly a pundit. She's just one more in a long line of "purty girls" who can spew republican talking points and be taken seriously because they so gosh darn cute.
She's an intolerable nitwit, which puts her in good company with the majority of talking heads in the mainstream media.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Land of debt and Corruption
7,544 posts, read 7,625,569 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Re-read this a few times, and see if it makes any sense ... any valid point whatsoever?

The question should be if they are being held indefinitely, and are guilty of a crime ... why aren't they being charged and tried?

That they are being held without charge by Bush, and then by Obama doesn't prove they are guilty of something ... it just proves that two successive presidents are supporting and extending the same illegal policies in violation of international law, as well as all law this nation of ours claims to uphold.

Man ... just reading that statement and trying to process it is enough to give one a headache.
What is your point? And less importantly, why would my simple question give you a headache? Trust me, my question really isn't headache-worthy unless you are prone to migraines without provocation.

I merely pointed out an inconsistency with regard to BOTH administrations. If they are indeed innocent, then they should be let go, no? The fact is, they haven't been released, nor have they been charged by either administration. I never claimed that they were indeed guilty simply because they have not been released, so please don't assume to know what I think unless I explicitly say state my beliefs. In my post, the one you quoted, I was asking a question, not making a statement.

I have my theories as to why they are being held indefinitely, but I never stated them in this thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
 
769 posts, read 826,623 times
Reputation: 608
I would sit through both her and Palin using their GED-level intellects to wax poetic about the nuances of international trade in the 21st century, or quantum physics for that matter, for days if they would only promise to make out passionately at the end.

Why are the hot ones always, always painfully stupid?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top