Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So what happened in all the States when the Repubs lower taxes and hence recieved less revenue causing less to be given to the States? The States raised their taxes. Face it people, taxes were going to go up even if Obama had done nothing, we were deep in debt and no matter how you cut it we had to pay the piper sooner or later. FYI, my taxes have not gone up at all, I wonder how some of us here somehow got a tax increase and others did not, maybe only Repubs got a tax increase, way to go Obama. Just kidding, especially since the right will be rounded up and put in camps in the near future, meaning we cannot count on their taxes, at least that what some righties hint at on occasion.
Casper
So, you think it is ok for 40% of the nation not to pay any income taxes and to be supported by the rest? That this bottom 40% should even get tax "refunds" from a system they have not paid into??

How long do you think a nation can sustain such levels of over-taxation (combined federal, state & local exceeding 50% of all income earned) of that population that creates wealth, technologies and jobs without becoming a mediocrity on the world stage?

Is that what you want for this nation, just another vast mediocrity? Because, that is exactly what is being created by government waste, a too large central government, and the welfare entitlement state we are becoming.

Our government has become a malignat tumor on the prosperity of our nation and it threatens its very survival. This is exactly what Obama meant when he was going to "fundamentally change" America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I don't understand how Democrats do not agree that a flat tax is fair. Hell, I'd ever compromise. Flat tax of 15% under 100k, 25% between 100k-500k, and 35% over 500k. There a progressive flat tax.
Few people making under 100K pay that much tax. Remember, our tax rates apply to "taxable income" -- income after deductions, exemptions and adjustments. At your rates, most of the middle class will see a tax increase.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Paying taxes should earn you the right to vote.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So, you think it is ok for 40% of the nation not to pay any income taxes and to be supported by the rest? That this bottom 40% should even get tax "refunds" from a system they have not paid into??

How long do you think a nation can sustain such taxation of that population that creates wealth, technologies and jobs without becoming a mediocrity on the world stage?

Is that what you want for this nation, just another vast mediocrity?
But don't you see, that is what Obama wants. He is moving all the pieces around to get us there. That's what "fundamental transformation" means. People didn't wonder when they were getting goose bumps over him during the campaign. Now, hopefully, they may be beginning to realize.

You are right that no nation can sustain that kind of taxation and still fare well.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 PM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Few people making under 100K pay that much tax. Remember, our tax rates apply to "taxable income" -- income after deductions, exemptions and adjustments. At your rates, most of the middle class will see a tax increase.

That was intentional. I preceive "fair" as everyone paying (close) to an equal share of taxes. Many people are just for lower and lower taxes because they want more money. I recognize the need to government revenue but think it should be obtained more proportionately.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Paying taxes should earn you the right to vote.
well then, the democrats would lose half of their votes....welfare collecters dont pay taxes

Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Improving the whole by bringing down the top has never worked. Ever. I understand why it's a popular idea, though. So much easier to break down than to build up.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
That was intentional. I preceive "fair" as everyone paying (close) to an equal share of taxes. Many people are just for lower and lower taxes because they want more money. I recognize the need to government revenue but think it should be obtained more proportionately.
simple the fair tax....a 23% constumption tax (sales tax) on everything new, with a poverty line 'rebate'

fairtax.org

Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
All I'm going to say about this is...
A tax increase on anyone is bad, rich and or poor etc.
I also dont like that we have this system based on how much you make which implies the more you make the more you owe the government.
In fact I think we should all pay 10% that is it and let the government figure out the bills if they can't pay the bills they get no money from us. They get 10% that is it no deductions no child credit BS which puts us a postion of people and no group of any sort gets any benefits.
It gets put in the constitution and administrations and congress can;t change the 10% number year to year its a flat tax rate.
everyone pays the same percent of there money DEAL WITH IT! If you get a raise from year to year and bonus the government can't screw anyone. Its 10% no more no less. Tell the Obamas and Bushes to stick it.
12 trillion in debt... think about it really seriously they cant be trusted with our money and any budget because they assume based on IRS taxes and other ways they tax us to do whatever they want. They have to jobs defend OUR NATION and protect INDIVIDUALS where needed.

That is it anyone else reading this thread who says anything about police, fire, schools needs to WAKE UP. That is your local tax idiot and nothing to do with those in washington.

This business of taxing the wealthy. 250K plus..
Idiots when you look at your paycheck who in the hell cuts the check to you. Its not like Obama is going to give you more money in this plan and last time I checked if my boss has less money he is going to cut some costs which will mean he might cut your job and or the services he has in his lifestyle. He might not give you a raise next year, or a bonus which you might have been better if he had the extra cash. It also might mean you will lose your job. You want people who are working to have the most of there paycheck they can so they can pay their F-ing Bills and support their employees. The government isnt 12trillion in debt because of any Bush tax cuts, I might be bush and congress and Obama spending but nothing to do with people and how much taxes they are paying. Less money in anyone's paycheck means more debt and more bills of which mean they wont spend. If OBAMA and dems say we have to spend our way out of this.. GIVE ME ALL MY MONEY and let people spend their money via our own paychecks. Suspend all taxes for 1 year see what that does for the economy.

Washington is full of people who think they run the world and your money.
How they doing?

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 02-02-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Much easier to tax than take to task CUTTING PROGRAMS.
Tax while continue spending. At this rate they will never cut any programs, continue to add new programs and all the while Americans will be told that we have to "tighten our belts" and send them more money. Meanwhile over on the private side..corporations are cutting 401K matches, cutting hours, cutting bonus/raises and even cutting salaries.

American workers are getting it from both ends. How much longer do you think it can go on like this ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies