Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
McCain also faked outrage at Al Franken for objecting to letting a Republican go over his alloted time. He said that in all his years in Congress he had never seen anybody do this before. One of the news stations dug up footage where McCain himself did the same thing to a democrat years ago.
LOLOL Figures.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdH1pDI9oa4&feature=fvw

Perhaps the years have caught up with the old coot. Memory a little faulty John boy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM

757 posts, read 802,837 times
LOL excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
How about growing up. It's the US Military - not middle school.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
If you've got a problem with McCain, make it clear and stop the usual banter.
The OP is absolutely clear:

1. In 2006 McCain said that the day the leadership of the military comes to him and says we should get rid of DADT he would support changing the policy.

2. Yesterday the leadership of the military (you understand who Adm. Mullen is, right? Chain of command and all that) testified in Congress that the policy should be changed.

3. Rather than support the position of the leadership of the military, as he said he would, McCain attacked the chairman of the Joint Chiefs for taking the position he took.

Are you still confused?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think he has forgotten what he used to stand for - it happens with old age.
I don't think Lieberman whispering in his ear all the time
helps matters much either
Did you see Dopey the Dwarf Loserman at the DADT Hearings, all those years in the Senate and he hasn't any idea how many votes a repeal takes

Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM

132 posts, read 225,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So how we gonna handle showers? Common showers will be an issue. I understand that leftists could care less about heterosexual male rights, but heterosexual males will not want to shower with the Villiage People after PT anymore than females would want males in their showers.

Go ahead lefties, hit me with the double standard you save for situations like female reporters in male locker rooms.
You handle showers under the presumption that grown men can clean themselves within reasonable distance to one another without the possibility of rape or erection.

Heterosexual males don't want to do a lot of things in life. Fortunately, in some respects, we live on Planet Earth, not Planet Heterosexual Male, where the expectation of sacrifice for the common good is beholden to us all.

I don't think that it's gay people that you dislike. I don't think that it's "lefties". I think what you seem to represent the fear of is the idea that you have somehow come this way thinking things that may be morally or psychologically wrong. We all have that experience, from left, right and center.

The argument here is that this creates a world in which we are led to believe that sexual-social roles have a spot in the work place. But the interesting thing about this, as we know from, you know, counting, is that the earth-majority is female, not male. So if we *actually* had it your way, if things worked from the preconceived notions and perceptions that we have formed about the sexual peril we put upon ourselves by integrating ourselves into positions with co-workers with separate sexual preferences, then not only would females and males be totally separated in the work force, they females would make up a majority! We'd be more often out of work than them!

Here is the problem with people that say: "But what about all of the situations in which sex may be an issue in the workplace, such as in common area showers or through sexual advances!"

These questions are, in their fundamental basis, prejudice. It doesn't make you prejudice. But the question is. Consider that you have already made a distinction between a gay person and a straight person.

In the work environment, a coworker is a coworker. They are a person. Neither gay nor straight.

So your presumption that someone would act inappropriately in a shower or in a closed environment because they are gay, and thus we need to ban all gays from being in that environment, presupposes that the act is a condition of their gayness, not their personality.

There are good personalities and bad personalities. There are not good people who are straight and bad people that are gay.

You may continue on now with your hypnotism over the idea that I must be shoving copies of the Communist Manifesto up my butt and driving you to a welfare state because I don't believe exactly what it is that you do about the specific perils of sexual preference in the work place. Or some other such thing. But I refuse to accept that because I disagree with you on something I have an assigned place on a plot map -- be it left, or right. And that, that assignment would say anything of substance.

Instead of trying to attack a packaged idea of beliefs (LIBRULS BAD = COMMUNISTS. CONSERVES BAD = FASCISTS), let's try to use some sort of reasonable method of logic to approach the question, instead of assuming you simply must look in an undesirable direction from your political position to be mine.

I repeat: The things that unite us are much more than the things that divide us. Let's work from that instead.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Did you see Dopey the Dwarf Loserman at the DADT Hearings, all those years in the Senate and he hasn't any idea how many votes a repeal takes
It was clear that he was playing on the Republican team with that line, saying, "We can't do anything in the Senate without 60 votes."

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFOG View Post
You handle showers under the presumption that grown men can clean themselves within reasonable distance to one another without the possibility of rape or erection.
The hilarious thing is that soldiers are already showering next to gays anyway.

It's just pure hatred.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The hilarious thing is that soldiers are already showering next to gays anyway.

It's just pure hatred.
Of course they are. In the numbers that can be counted in the thousands. Which is the tragedy of this, and the thing that seems hardest to communicate.

Those who seem to detract from military integration always presuppose negative qualities upon the minority. This is not the first time this has happened, and it certainly says nothing of smarts. Look: Woodrow Wilson, who in many other ways was a fine president, made many presuppositions about the role of African Americans in the military.

He presupposed that blacks had certain traits that would create uncomfortable and sub-standard quality for military units. He was wrong. The same is the case with homosexuals in regards to the military. There is a crater of presumption.

But it is what it is. This is the America we live in. This is our struggle of Civil Rights. People assign attributes to gay people that they should instead assign to mischievous or bad people.

People have not yet sufficiently accepted that gayness is not synonymous with evilness.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM

We should also consider that the whole shower thing has been tested over and over again, on college campuses, for decades. Sometimes in private stalls, more often in large public communes. Also, in recreation centers and gymnasiums.

And miraculously, a large majority, nearly a perfect majority (100%, almost, we're talking) of the butt holes exposed in those environments have remained without breach. Mine included. In the many instances in which I have utilized public and open shower facilities in my time in school and in gymnasiums and rec centers, certainly often within the thrusting distance of a homosexual, my butt hole has never once been exposed to storming attack of an unwanted weiner nor index finger.

Frankly, I'd never assumed I was in peril of the action.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Dopey the Dwarf Loserman - Perfect name
I hate to look at that guy - but I'll take a look if I must
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies