Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its funny to see Republicans, who are big about tax breaks, try and spin this.
I didnt see any Republicans trying to spin anything. the link is to TIME magazine..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Oh goody, Papa Obama is giving me some of my money back.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt see any Republicans trying to spin anything. the link is to TIME magazine..
You obviously haven't read the rest of the posts on this thread.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sorry, I got lost on the rant on Fox news.. Just to recap.. You dont think the money has been wasted?

I dont need to document that the money was wasted, americans think the money was wasted because the stimulus FAILED...Just because $275B went back to the taxpayers doesnt meant $500 Billion wasnt wasted.. Thats FIVE HUNDRED BILLION.

If the money was spent on "shovel ready" projects which was going to be funded anyways, by definition it wasnt a stimulus.. It was JUST funding of projects which would have been funded anyways..
Why do you base your argument about whether the funds have been wasted or not on popular opinion polls? Most people are ignorant of what is happening with the money and simply regurgitate what they were told to say by commentators.

If you would like to present a case for why every dollar has been wasted, I'd be happy to see it. Simply using a passing public opinion poll as your evidence is not sufficient.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I gave 10 cans of beans to the Salvation Army today! Hunger and homeless problem solved!

Well, the same analogy could be used to describe the Stimulus Tax Cut. Can anyone really tell they have extra money in their pockets?

No, because scope and scale actually means something to everyone other than Barack Obama.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
When you actually look at what the stimulus has done - saved state and local governments from collapsing, fixed infrastructure, funded teachers and police to keep communities stable, provided MASSIVE tax breaks, etc, etc..., it's impossible to argue that it hasn't helped or that it's some blind liberal grab-all.

The general consensus amongst non-ideological economists is that the stimulus has kept us from going up to 12-13% unemployment.

Unfortunately, most people are rather ignorant and get their view of the world through biased commentators who are on 24 hours a day. It's tough for an administration to control the message when there are so many lies in the media determined to distract people from the truth.
Are you calling me a liar for saying that my wife didn't get any of that money that was supposed go have saved her job? Are you calling me a liar for saying that so little of that stimulus money found its way into Kansas to help schools at all? If so maybe you are doing that because you think that I got all my knowledge from old Glenn Beck or some of the others there on Fox.

I am not lying when I say that and I know too many teachers who say Pelosi when he talks about saving teachers' jobs. It may be him and his people who are doing the lying and you can't see what is going on.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
People seem to forget that Obama instituted the LARGEST TAX CUT IN THE HISTORY OF THE US.
What in the hell tax cut are you talking about, Denver? I see that you are willing to take his word for things like this but just don't know who all those people are. I guess that if you failed to vote for him you just don't get that tax "cut" you mentioned.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Why do you base your argument about whether the funds have been wasted or not on popular opinion polls? Most people are ignorant of what is happening with the money and simply regurgitate what they were told to say by commentators.

If you would like to present a case for why every dollar has been wasted, I'd be happy to see it. Simply using a passing public opinion poll as your evidence is not sufficient.
How about common sense?

Here, let me explain..
If the government is planning to spend $25,000,000 to build a bridge, and this bridge isnt planned to be built until 2012, and instead of building it in 2012, I build it in 2009, I havent stimulated ANYTHING... All I did was move 2012 spending to 2009, and in 2012 those that would have been employed will not be...

That is the definition of "shovel ready" jobs.. jobs that were planned to be done sometime down the road, which was just moved forward..

What happens to the unemployment numbers later when those that would have had jobs, dont?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
The stimulus included 288 billion in tax cuts over 2 years (2009 and 2010). The second largest tax cut in US history was the Bush tax cut. The most it cut taxes over 2 years was 231 billion in 2004, 2005.

The Washington Monthly

FOXNews.com - Obama Eyes $300 Billion Tax Cut

Obama Eyes $300 Billion Tax Cut - WSJ.com

Is Obama Stimulus Plan Also the Biggest Tax Cut Ever? - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)
All of your links are one year old and talk about what might happen, not what has happened. One of them mentions that not one Republican in the House voted for the first abortion of the Obama days and then goes on talking only about that being a first.

The two that were written early January just were talking about what may happen. My problem is that I just don't know anybody who got any cut in 2009. Why is this? They talk about those cuts for 2009 and 2010 and nobody got a cut in 2009!! Where in hell is all that money? Did they spend it on shovel ready infrastructure projects? Do you not know that no more than 1/3 of the money has been spent up to now and that would amoung to about all the tax cut we hear so much about.

You are just spouting Obama rhetoric with no proof of any of it up to now. When will you manage to prove any part of it? Best you look at the way the wool has been pulled over your eyes and sewed shut.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Okay, so then without the stimulus the "real" unemployment rate would be over 20%. Pick whatever calculation you want.

The fact is that the economists, not the media, believe it has had and continues to have a very positive impact.
What are you talking about, 20% unemployed. Obama promised us that if he didn't get that stimulus bill enemployment would go over 8%. Why in hell is it nearing 11% by his government's counting and he got the bill? Why are they talking about another one when they haven't spent more than 1/3 of what was appropriated by the first bill? How about the slush fund that has been created by the bank aid bill?

Why do I see all that crap here and not one Obama supporter talks about all that money that the banks paid back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies