Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,310,511 times

Advertisements

of Indian food?

Some apartments are not renting to Middle Easterners and Africans because of the order from their food. I'm not sure which spices have the strong smell (curry maybe?) But the smell from their cooking permiates the halls and the other apartments.

Do you feel this policy is discriminatory?

Or are the property managers protecting the rights of other tenants who find the odor to be offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,205 times
The **** stinks. No doubt about it. I had to live with it for years in college. I dont' know about the stank ruining the apartment, BUT it could easily drive away other tenants which would be a valid reason to not rent to them. Its the main reason many landlords don't allow dogs; they bark and PO the other tenants.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,591,926 times
I don't see how they should be able to legally refuse rental to someone based on ethnicity or race, but if they are having problems with complaints of strong cooking smells, they can simply make a clause in their lease for all tenants stating that complaints about strong cooking odors will be taken seriously and can lead to eviction.

I would not want to deal with the odors. Plus it seeps into the walls, carpets, pretty much everything if it is used contantly.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,571,363 times
It's both discriminatory and an attempt to protect the interests and preferences of current tenants. It's also illegal. Rather than not renting to people based on their ethnicity, the apartment/condo buildings should just have a set of rules that describes the types of odors that aren't allowed. No farting in the hallways, for example.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,205 times
You can't have such a subjective clause in your lease saying "the food cannot smell bad". You could, but good luck in eviction court. The bottom line is you're going to have to put up with it if you rent to an Indian.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,372,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You can't have such a subjective clause in your lease saying "the food cannot smell bad". You could, but good luck in eviction court. The bottom line is you're going to have to put up with it if you rent to an Indian.

I am also not aware of such a clause. First they could get you for discrimination, and it would also be illegal. I know of no cooking clause in a rental lease agreement. Now they could have rules to follow, and if you break these rules, then there are consequences. I know of no clause in any reantal agreement that states, no bad cooking odors. You would also have a hard time evecting them, on a bad odor smell.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,259,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
of Indian food?

Some apartments are not renting to Middle Easterners and Africans because of the order from their food. I'm not sure which spices have the strong smell (curry maybe?) But the smell from their cooking permiates the halls and the other apartments.

Or are the property managers protecting the rights of other tenants who find the odor to be offensive?
Thai food is the stinkiest.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,189,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
of Indian food?

There's an Indian spice called Asafoetida that works well in meals, but I keep it outside. Curry just means mix, it's a mixture of spices.

I love Indian and Ethiopean and Thai and Mexican aromas.
Now they're going to tell us what to eat?
So much for brussels sprouts, cabbage, fried foods, meat smells, etc.

It's just something new, get used to it.
Each new group of immigrants brings their native foods and enrich our lives with culinary additions.

I see this as another thread in the tapestry of the US.

I believe this is discriminatory.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,142,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Thai food is the stinkiest.
What?? I live with a Thai and Thai food does not smell all that bad. Well that red curry can be a bit rough. I think the smell of boiling cabbage is pretty bad. Or how about sweatbreads? Now my dad used to cook those. We could smell them 2 houses away coming home from school.
I agree with Chiel though. This country is about freedom. We should be allowed to chow down even on stinky foods.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM

39,802 posts, read 26,292,352 times
If smoking can be banned in one's apartment because the smell offends others, why not cooking smells? Same situation. I suppose refried beans are out due to the obvious implications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies