Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:10 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that after all that time living for free they still get presented the bill.

I don't want to be harsh but we have to pay our bills every month as well and are still doing it (and it isn't that we got everything for free, we just bought things when we could afford it)and I have seen people around me who stopped paying and buying new cars, buying other luxurious stuff, even had plastic surgery but didn't pay their mortgage and didn't pay their HOA either....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,285,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
This didn't happen to me...your "know" in quotes led me to believe you think it's me. Thankfully, it's not. That's not to say it might not be me one day. I hope not, but you never know. If it matters, it was my next door neighbor and best friend.

I really don't care if people thought I was bringing up an agenda. I wasn't. I was saying what I wanted to, to address the comments that seemed holier than thou. Like, too bad...you shouldn't have bought something you can't afford. Not everyone is lumped into one category. Stuff happens, yes, that is life. No, nothing is guaranteed...but yes, in circumstances like that, all many have is their home. To lose that on top of everything else is beyond cruel.

I GET that the mortgage gig is a business. Yes, they want their money, but sometimes they are willing to help, sometimes they're not. ALL I am saying is that you don't have to be irresponsible for the rug to be pulled out from under you.

I don't know how that fits into an agenda...but some people throw the political card out there no matter what. I meant what I said...I wanted to say the healthcare thing but hesitated because of EXACTLY the RIDICULOUS response it got.

The quotes were meant to question the validity of the statement. Honestly, I take such personal testimony with a grain of salt,...especially considering the other passages in bold.

No agenda?......give me a break!!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Are you so financially stable that NOTHING will EVER take away your financial security? I don't know many people like that, honestly. Maybe the Donald Trump's of the world....but most people scrimp and save, save and scrimp. Just because someone bought a house does not make them big spenders OR irresponsible!!!!!!!!! Last I checked it's CHEAPER and it makes MUCH more sense to BUY a home than to rent long term. Check your data. I can find some for you if you need it....Have you checked the price of RENTAL houses lately? LMAO!!!!!!! Try looking in any urban area of the US....the people that own the house would like to get their mortgage payment/taxes/insurance out of the rent, so, THAT is the price of a mortgage, but you do not own it! Throwing money away is what it is!!!!! You don't get to deduct anything from your taxes with a rental home either! That argument is just SILLY....and uninformed, out of touch with reality..whatever!

People that have never had to make due with hamburger helper for a week or choose between prescriptions and the light bill will never understand. It's too bad that our politicians are those fat cats that make the decisions for the rest of us average people. People that work for a living and do the best they can to do the right thing.

You seem SO far out of touch. I just don't get it. Read your last paragraph. You don't have to be poor to lose everything even if you made the most sound, just financial decisions possible! I don't CARE what we do with health care, it just needs to be fixed somehow so that people aren't placed in the position of losing their homes or losing their lives because they can't afford to pay for treatment.
Commenting to that in bold...why let your politicians make decisions for the "average people"? Why give them power over your healthcare decisions? Why not reclaim your liberty by demanding adherence to the Constitutional limits upon our government?

I did not turn this post into a personal attack upon anyone so who is out of touch with reality?

Perhaps the problem we have today is that people choose not to accept the reality of personal responsibilty and how our choices in one area affect outcomes in other areas (a.k.a. cause & effect).

I thought the topic was mortgages. However, if you insist on continuing to digress:

Hamburger Helper for a week is not a symbol of a tough life. I usually have $20 or less in my weekly food budget. You are talking $2/box plus the cost of meat for ingredients that cost significantly less when one can just buy a store brand bag of noodles and toss in some spice flavoring and cheap raw vegetables or two dozen eggs for the price of two pounds of burger. Cabbage is only $0.28 per head and will outlast a box of prepared hamburger helper.

Now, if you had read my previous posts you would have noticed that I said not all forclosures were because people were irresponsible.

Any unforseen circumstances can wipe any of us out financially, mentally, or physically without warning. I know this and it is because I readily accept such reality that I can write as I do.

I understand perfectly, and I do my best to plan, well in advance, for every possible such contingency. That is my choice in taking responsibility for my lot in life. By living significantly below my means yesterday and today I plan and pay for tomorrows needs today and should have the means to live and provide for myself and my family members through unforseen tragedies tomorrow. There but for the grace of God go any of us.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-03-2010 at 06:22 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,566,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't take pleasure in anyone's foreclosure. However, people made a financial commitment, in writing, to guarantee they would pay their debt to thier lender. If you cannot afford it, don't buy it. Borrowing money to purchase things you don't have means accepting the responsibility and risks that go along with that decision and that contract.
I agree , So Here in California the Governor who last year Borrowed millions from the school fund and sign for it should be made to pay it back???

Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
I agree , So Here in California the Governor who last year Borrowed millions from the school fund and sign for it should be made to pay it back???
The people of any state have the duty to hold their representatives legally accountable if they break the laws of the state during the course of governing. I do not know the exact situation of which you speak but have the citizens of the state filed complaints with the state attorney general's office? Has it been determined that the law was broken through such an act as you describe?

We should be holding our federal government accountable for the millions, if not billions, that have been stolen from the Social Security fund and used for their other pet projects instead.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM

446 posts, read 829,102 times
Quote:
Commenting to that in bold...why let your politicians make decisions for the "average people"? Why give them power over your healthcare decisions? Why not reclaim your liberty by demanding adherence to the Constitutional limits upon our government?

I did not turn this post into a personal attack upon anyone so who is out of touch with reality?

Perhaps the problem we have today is that people choose not to accept the reality of personal responsibilty and how our choices in one area affect outcomes in other areas (a.k.a. cause & effect).

I thought the topic was mortgages. However, if you insist on continuing to digress:

Hamburger Helper for a week is not a symbol of a tough life. I usually have $20 or less in my weekly food budget. You are talking $2/box plus the cost of meat for ingredients that cost significantly less when one can just buy a store brand bag of noodles and toss in some spice flavoring and cheap raw vegetables or two dozen eggs for the price of two pounds of burger. Cabbage is only $0.28 per head and will outlast a box of prepared hamburger helper.

Now, if you had read my previous posts you would have noticed that I said not all forclosures were because people were irresponsible.

Any unforseen circumstances can wipe any of us out financially, mentally, or physically without warning. I know this and it is because I readily accept such reality that I can write as I do.

I understand perfectly, and I do my best to plan, well in advance, for every possible such contingency. That is my choice in taking responsibility for my lot in life. By living significantly below my means yesterday and today I plan and pay for tomorrows needs today and should have the means to live and provide for myself and my family members through unforseen tragedies tomorrow. There but for the grace of God go any of us.
The subject IS mortgages....and my reply that sometimes crap happens...i.e. catastrophic illness. Clear now?

I vote...just because I vote for someone doesn't mean they always have my best interest at heart. They always say they do, of course. Just so you know, I have gone to D.C. to protest, more than once, in an attempt to "Reclaim my liberty". Politicians always do what they want, cater to whom they want, usually the ones that pave the way for their re-election. Sadly, I tend to vote for the one that I think will do the least damage...in rare cases, I actually vote for the one I believe will do the most good.

I understand, also perfectly, that you will never have anything horrible happen to you financially because you have planned for anything and everything...correct? You know that you have millions in the bank to carry you in case of illness? You have the money to pay your mortgage even if you have prescriptions that cost more than your car, even WITH insurance..because we ALL know insurance only covers what it deems necessary. Heaven forbid a DOCTOR orders a medication the insurance company doesn't cover. You've got it all planned out, right?

I hope, for your sake this is true. If you have it all taken care of, no matter what may come up....bully for you.

BTW, just in case you missed it...the hamburger helper analogy was an example. Maybe, to be clear, I should have said, oh, tuna sandwiches, minus the bread.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,906,609 times
Quote:
Does it, or does it come back to other factors such as behavior, choice, and priorities?

One could take the argument back wards and say that if people did not purchase homes but rented for much less then the money spent on principal and amortized interest could be saved and later spent on their health needs instead.

Health insurance costs and health care are two different things.

If people in the US were not so litigious then physicians and hospitals could pay less for malpractice insurance thus the cost of opening the doors to actual medical care every morning would be less.

If people took better care of themselves physically and would take more financial responsibility for their health care by enrolling in higher deductible plans and pay more per visit out of pocket health or pay entirely out of pocket for routine yearly exams, then insurance itself may not run as high.

So no, it does not all come back to "Universal health care" unless that is the way one chooses to frame his/her argument. I am never for taking the freedom of health care choices out of the hands of the patient and doctors and placing it into a government bureaucracy. However, with freedom comes responsibility and much of that responsibility includes financial responsibility whether it be for housing, for meeting medical needs, for advanced education, or a myriad of other "big ticket items" which comprise our lives.
Ask the Doctors , they will tell you who is to blame...or at the lest , that our health care system is broken and needs to be fixed...with Universal health care. To sum it all up , ...is health care a privilege or a right ? You know where I stand. . It is long past time , to fix it. The big evil Government who let this happen , now needs to be the one to end the problem , its the American way. The Insurance Companies have gone too far , they have taken control in a way that Big Government only wishes it could control its people. Its time to say , NO MORE. lets return to a time when health care costs ( not that long ago as I recall ) when the average person could survive with out Insurance. No one in my rural family ever had health care insurance, now I am at the end of the line, and , can't live with out it. Sad state we live in, a once proud Country, where folks could raze up, be successfully , with out big business interfering. Those days are over.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,906,609 times
Quote:
The people of any state have the duty to hold their representatives legally accountable if they break the laws of the state during the course of governing. I do not know the exact situation of which you speak but have the citizens of the state filed complaints with the state attorney general's office? Has it been determined that the law was broken through such an act as you describe?

We should be holding our federal government accountable for the millions, if not billions, that have been stolen from the Social Security fund and used for their other pet projects instead.
I must agree with your statement about Social Security.... another good example ( even better ) is what has happened to the fuel tax monies , which were to go to fixing our Highways , our infrastructure.......its all falling down , and the money went into General revenue....to get politicans relected...term limits, thats another fix long over due.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,943,245 times
Quote:
The subject IS mortgages....and my reply that sometimes crap happens...i.e. catastrophic illness. Clear now?

I vote...just because I vote for someone doesn't mean they always have my best interest at heart. They always say they do, of course. Just so you know, I have gone to D.C. to protest, more than once, in an attempt to "Reclaim my liberty". Politicians always do what they want, cater to whom they want, usually the ones that pave the way for their re-election. Sadly, I tend to vote for the one that I think will do the least damage...in rare cases, I actually vote for the one I believe will do the most good.

I understand, also perfectly, that you will never have anything horrible happen to you financially because you have planned for anything and everything...correct? You know that you have millions in the bank to carry you in case of illness? You have the money to pay your mortgage even if you have prescriptions that cost more than your car, even WITH insurance..because we ALL know insurance only covers what it deems necessary. Heaven forbid a DOCTOR orders a medication the insurance company doesn't cover. You've got it all planned out, right?

I hope, for your sake this is true. If you have it all taken care of, no matter what may come up....bully for you.

BTW, just in case you missed it...the hamburger helper analogy was an example. Maybe, to be clear, I should have said, oh, tuna sandwiches, minus the bread.
Dirt. You should have said dirt and dandelion greens. Tuna is luxury item. People should be preparing for future calamity and not purchasing unnecessary items at supermarkets.

Last edited by songgirl; 02-03-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I don't eat tuna. Prepared foods cost way too much compared to planting/harvesting from the backyard garden and hunting/fishing or raising my own meat.

No, I have none of the millions you assume me to have in your posts. What I do is forgo the little daily extravagances now so that it lessens the likelyhood of a financial crisis later. Before I was 40 I purchased a long-term health insurance policy from a reputable company to see me through a catostrophic accident or illness that might leave me unable to ever work again or hospitalized for the remainder of my life. This will insure I am never a financial burden on my family or on society due to medical expenses. Some people my age go on vacations, eat out every week, go out to movies, buy fancy cars or expensive homes; their choice. My choice is to prepare for that "rainy day" to last a decade or more.

I didn't purchase a house until I could put 50% down on it (to keep monthly payments very low) and then set in place a plan to pay off the remaining 15 yr. mortgage in 5 years. I accomplished my goal more than a decade ago and had no urge to "move up" as have so many who now find themselves upside-down in houses in which they have little or no equity.

I do not depend on insurance to cover any medications and pay for those out of pocket minus the discount for keeping a high deductible HSA insurance plan. Insurance is my "safety net" for catastrophies not to be used as the first line of payment for routine medical needs or minor injuries/illnesses. I put money aside all year in a special account to address my future health needs and do not draw from it for today's needs.

So, yes, even though Obama and Congress threaten to take my health insurance from me because I am "self-insured" until that time, I do believe I have planned well enough to cover both housing and health insurance needs in the future regardless of my employment or health status.

Living a life based on preparedness for the future is not exciting and it is not sexy but it beats being dependent upon the pockets and good will of others. Peace of mind through medical and financial pre-planning is worth the sacrifices made to accomplish such freedom. Instead of screaming for society to provide I still manage to save to donate to my local charities for those who cannot provide for their children's medical needs.

If I can do these things, anyone can. That they will not is no excuse for a taxpayer bail-out for failing to plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies