Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
It's kind of silly isn't it? One of the major cable networks interviewed a professor from some middle eastern university, and the professor thought it was funny we would do this. He said this type of accommodation is almost unheard of in Muslim countries, and you would never see it at airports for cab drivers.
I read this on another forum regarding the same topic:

"We want a foot washing station....

(reposting)
We want a prayer room.

We want our own Muslim prayer room.

We want our own Muslim prayer room that faces Mecca.

We want our own Muslim prayer room that faces Mecca with separate facilities for men and women.

We want our own Muslim prayer room that faces Mecca with separate facilities for men and women with Muslim only bathrooms adjacent for ceremonial washing.

We want our own Muslim prayer room that faces Mecca with separate facilities for men and women with Muslim only bathrooms adjacent for ceremonial washing with long-term storage lockers so we don't have to transport our prayer rugs.

We want our own Muslim prayer room that faces Mecca with separate facilities for men and women with Muslim only bathrooms adjacent for ceremonial washing with long-term storage lockers so we don't have to transport our prayer rugs with a halal food court with Muslim only employees.

We want our own Muslim prayer room that faces Mecca with separate facilities for men and women with Muslim only bathrooms adjacent for ceremonial washing with long-term storage lockers so we don't have to transport our prayer rugs with a halal food court with Muslim only employees and a separate entrance with Muslim only screeners...

... and no video or audio surveillance."

I don't know who wrote it, but I thought it was an interesting (and somewhat funny) post. Kinda makes you wonder where/when/how it will end.

What's next? Crucifixes over urinals and prayer books in stalls? Holy water stations at plane doorways? Torahs and Bibles in seat backs? Yarmulkes, malas, or rosaries passed out by flight attendants with the peanuts?

Yikes...what a mess. In my opinion, it's best to leave the religious props and accomodations to people's personal homes or religious facilities/designated places of worship.

Last edited by AOYAS; 05-28-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:26 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
They installed four footwashes with benches. Plus there is an area for their prayer runs to be stored. They're catering to Muslims so they can wash their feet before they pray. If they are going to do this then they should install a chapel so Christians can appropriately pray. Otherwise let them wash their feet in the toilet or urinal in the men's room.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:28 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Default In more temperate times!

Evlevo,

“PS, use the ‘Quote Button’ next time... it'll save you some typing”

I wish I could figure out HOW! This forum didn’t come with much of an instruction booklet (or I’m too IT-challenged to find it). I also haven’t been able to figure out how to rate someone’s post and make a comment next to it. I wrote an e-mail to City-Data about it but haven’t yet received a reply.

Anyway . . .

“. . . one would assume takes up about as much space as a ‘smoker's corner’. . .”

Maybe. I can’t make that assumption. If you’re right and the people in KC are against this in significant numbers, then it must be larger in dimensions and/or visibility; there just isn’t enough detail.

“That shouldn't ruffle too many feathers.”

You’re right, it shouldn’t—in more temperate times. These days it seems that feathers are ruffled even at the hint that a breath of air MIGHT be coming, especially when it comes to religious issues irrespective of the religion. These things should be weighed carefully in such sensitive times. After all, we ARE trying to be less divided, are we not? Whoever came up with the idea of this footbath thing certainly needs some guidance in divisive avoidance while developing ideas for a more user-friendly airport.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

124 posts, read 91,820 times
I don't know the numbers. I know many people are against it. What I am against is encouraging displays o' the feet. I could care less about prayers to Mecca. I don't want to see dirty feet! I am sure there are some other anti-foot people with me on this, right?]

BTW, someone quoted cigarette butt stations. Yeah, there everywhere...and they are pretty disgusting too, but I guess I wouldn't be against those. I do admit that being against the foot washing stations is PURELY gut reation and a "peculiarity"...if it were up to me I would outlaw sandals.

I abhor referencing WorldNetDaily as a source, but here goes:

WorldNetDaily: Airport adds foot basins for Muslim cabbies

Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
I don't know the numbers. I know many people are against it. What I am against is encouraging displays o' the feet. I could care less about prayers to Mecca. I don't want to see dirty feet! I am sure there are some other anti-foot people with me on this, right?]

BTW, someone quoted cigarette butt stations. Yeah, there everywhere...and they are pretty disgusting too, but I guess I wouldn't be against those. I do admit that being against the foot washing stations is PURELY gut reation and a "peculiarity"...if it were up to me I would outlaw sandals.
Oh, you would hate me then! I live in my flip-flops...you can wear em year-long out here in Phoenix.

I agree with you about the foot baths, but for different reasons. Although some people's feet are gross, I don't necessarily have an aversion to feet, in general. I have an aversion to the establishment catering to certain religions in public places (like airports), since it will almost surely cause problems for some (if not many) people who don't share the same religious beliefs or customs. In my opinion, this type of religious accommodation is just asking for trouble...and controversy.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Default I'm not quick enough with my posts!

“What's next? Crucifixes over urinals and prayer books in stalls? Holy water stations at plane doorways? Torahs and Bibles in seat backs? Yarmulkes, malas, or rosaries passed out by the flight attendants with the peanuts?” ~ AOYAS

“They're catering to Muslims so they can wash their feet before they pray. If they are going to do this then they should install a chapel so Christians can appropriately pray.” ~ Hawkeye48

I thought I’d be flamed when I suggested that religion is a personal thing and belongs in the home and congregations (and many other gathering places I did not mention in which like-minded people can practice their beliefs). Reasonable people will not impose themselves on others; unreasonable people don’t care. I believe that forcing establishments and the people who frequent them to deal with religious issues is not reasonable.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:45 PM

124 posts, read 91,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Oh, you would hate me then! I live in my flip-flops...you can wear em year-long out here in Phoenix.

I agree with you about the foot baths, but for different reasons. Although some people's feet are gross, I don't necessarily have an aversion to feet, in general. I have an aversion to the establishment catering to certain religions in public places (like airports), since it will almost surely cause problems for some (if not many) people who don't share the same religious beliefs or customs. In my opinion, this type of religious accommodation is just asking for trouble...and controversy.
I wouldn't hate you, AOYAS. I'd just get all Adrian Monk around you...

Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I am fairly ignorant about the Muslim way of life so bare with me...

Why are their feet so dirty...are they wearing sandals and therefore feel the need to wash their feet part way through the day?? Or is there some kind of special religious obsession with having clean feet??

I know that public places such as airports and hospitals have chapels for everyone to use but do other religions have things they demand beyond a chapel??

Do Catholics demand a place at the airport to take communion? I haven't heard Jewish people demanding the kosher handling of food sold at the airport.

Other then a place to pray, why should any religion have more demands met then that??

I personally am affraid the more we yeild to what I consider to be an extreme religion, the more we will be held hostage by those beliefs...I for one will NEVER be covering my face or avoiding a place of worship, or STOP wearing shorts and revealing tops just because it makes Muslims uncomfortable...just the same way I have often worn jewelry with crosses on it as a nod to my Irish heritage even though it deeply offends the religion I was brought up in.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am fairly ignorant about the Muslim way of life so bare with me...

Why are their feet so dirty...are they wearing sandals and therefore feel the need to wash their feet part way through the day?? Or is there some kind of special religious obsession with having clean feet??

I know that public places such as airports and hospitals have chapels for everyone to use but do other religions have things they demand beyond a chapel??

Do Catholics demand a place at the airport to take communion? I haven't heard Jewish people demanding the kosher handling of food sold at the airport.

Other then a place to pray, why should any religion have more demands met then that??

I personally am affraid the more we yeild to what I consider to be an extreme religion, the more we will be held hostage by those beliefs...I for one will NEVER be covering my face or avoiding a place of worship, or STOP wearing shorts and revealing tops just because it makes Muslims uncomfortable...just the same way I have often worn jewelry with crosses on it as a nod to my Irish heritage even though it deeply offends the religion I was brought up in.
Muslims are required to pray multiple times throughout the day, and a rule of their religion is that they wash their feet prior to conducting these prayer sessions.

I think that's right...someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Default A complete lack of reason!

“Other major airports also are dealing with increased demands from Muslim cabdrivers [emphasis mine].” ~ WorldNet Daily

Demands? Demands? Demands?!

Now this is about as unreasonable as it gets. To acquiesce to these demands should require a very large majority of the people. To acquiesce to these demands is far, far worse that an idea that can only get approval of half the people in our usual method of self-sovereignty. That they are even considered is beyond ludicrous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies