Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
From the data I've seen, the percentage of households with total gross adjusted incomes of $250,000 is about 1.5%-2% of total households in the US.

The median income in the US is about $50,000 a year.

I forgot that most of the posters on City-Data are apparently millionaires who scoff at the idea of $250,000 a year being considered wealthy...
For some reason I have never heard Obama say anything about adjusted incomes. He always just talks about those who make that much money. Can you tell me if I have missed something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It doesn't make sense to charge any group twice the percentage in taxes compared to their share of the income. We've been losing jobs for years, haven't we? Might that have something to do with onerous tax obligations on a certain segment of society?

I notice you like to trot out Warren Buffett as an example of a rich person who claims high earners need to pay more taxes. Tell me, is he putting his money where his mouth is? Is he paying more than he is obligated to pay, as anyone is free to do? Or is Warren Buffett saying what you want to hear for PR purposes, while having absolutely no intention of actually following through on what he 'claims' to believe?

Do you feel you've been easily manipulated?
You should.
If you had read the info I linked to, you would have noticed that there are loopholes high income people use to pay at a lower tax rate than those that make less than them. This amounts to billions of lost revenue which further contributes to our national deficit which we constantly hear generations will have to pay for.

I would think fiscal conservatives and true American Patriots would gladly buckle their belts and forsake lavish luxuries in the name of nation and the future generations of Americans, OR is that mantra just a manipulation?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Again if they have need they'll hire more workers.
Not if a cost/benefit analysis of higher taxes + additional employees reveals a financial disincentive. Sorry, that's the way it is.

Quote:
In other industrialized countries around the world can work with much higher rates, there's no reason why the U.S. can't as well.
Have you looked at their unemployment stats, fiscal soundness, etc.?

Europe's Crisis Much Bigger Than Subprime Worse Than U.S.: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance
Zero Hedge: Moody's To Downgrade Banks With Eastern European Exposure
What the U.S. Can Learn from Japan's 'Lost Decade' : NPR

We could go on and on, but you get the idea. You seem to be suffering from the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But they haven't started paying the class warfare type of taxes. After they get to do that they will have to find a way to get their money outside the country.
Going back to the levels for the top two it was under Clinton is not class warfare

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
If you had read the info I linked to, you would have noticed that there are loopholes high income people use to pay at a lower tax rate than those that make less than them. This amounts to billions of lost revenue which further contributes to our national deficit which we constantly hear generations will have to pay for.
Warren Buffett has plenty of extra money, and 'supposedly' shares your beliefs. I wonder why he hasn't put his money where his mouth is and paid extra, as anyone is free to do. Hmmm...

Quote:
I would think fiscal conservatives and true American Patriots would gladly buckle their belts and forsake lavish luxuries in the name of nation and the future generations of Americans, OR is that mantra just a manipulation?
And Warren Buffett is doing so? Hmmm???
He sure has YOU bamboozled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe because the top 1% has as much income as the bottom 50%.
If the median income is $68,000 as someone said back there, that means that people who make $66,000 aren't paying much and those who make $40,000 get all their withholding back. Since my wife and I have managed to sit on that median line for so long I do take exception to having my money used to pay people a tax refund who never paid any taxes in the first place.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Hey roy, how you doing. Well if you think there has been class warfare going on, then that top 1.5% has been winning it.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

The median family income is 63K while the household is 52k.
I think that Obama and his buddies are trying to promote class warfare with that $250 k crap. Does that tell you anything about what I think Obama really is. Progressive might mean something but in case I think he is a bit further than that.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Yep.

And when our economy depends on small businesses for 70 % of economic growth and job creation........you see that the ones with ANY chance of possibly, affording to start up or expand their business, will surely, be stifled with such the high tax bracket they are liklier to fall into.

Throw in the lack of credit available for them now.....along with higher interest rates, huge foreign competition and huge corporate competition, govt. interference/manipulation and total UNCERTAINTY....and you see:

NO economic recovery in sight.

Just as it would almost appear to have been orchestrated.

Hellish times lie ahead, IMO.
I think you might as well say that the lack of recovery right now is entirely orchestrated and we know who the leader of that orchestra is.

I agree with what Rush said today. He said that few small businessmen want to borrow money to expand with as they have the wherewithal but they don't want to take a chance and have the whole thing go bust after they expand. That is why I don't think the leader wants to show any kind of recovery other than his lies.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Warren Buffett has plenty of extra money, and 'supposedly' shares your beliefs. I wonder why he hasn't put his money where his mouth is and paid extra, as anyone is free to do. Hmmm...

And Warren Buffett is doing so? Hmmm???
He sure has YOU bamboozled!
1st you refuse to directly answer my query by deflecting attention and personal responsibility to Warren Buffet and then you resort to a personal attack.

Now that you revealed your hypocracy and true face, there will be NO ONE BAMBOOZLED BY YOUR LIES AND PROPAGANDA.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you think handing a company $5K to hire someone is good ?
If a company cannot afford the salary..$5K means NOTHING, NOTHING.
The Fed gov is now outright bribing companies to hire people !
I am not allowed to say "Well said" in a rep so I will just put it out here. Why people can't see that going on is beyond me even the lefties should be able to see it.

Obama keeps talking about getting small businesses money to borrow and few, if any of them want to borrow money. They want to expand and hire more people but they are afraid to do so because things are so uncertain. Most of them would have expanded with their own money if they really thought we would recover.

I always remember the recession of 1957 and the tv commercial the government had going. It said that we must spend to recover but they never did offer to do the spending. Yes, we did spend our way out of that one but we didn't have Obama around trying to break the country so he could become the ruler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies