Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,815,942 times

Advertisements

Insurance Company Must Pay $10 Million For Revoking Policy Of Teen With HIV

Quote:
The South Carolina Supreme Court has ordered an insurance company to pay $10 million for wrongly revoking the insurance policy of a 17-year-old college student after he tested positive for HIV. The court called the 2002 decision by the insurance company "reprehensible."
That appears to be the most an insurance company has ever been ordered to pay in a case involving the practice known as rescission, in which insurance companies retroactively cancel coverage for policyholders based on alleged misstatements - sometimes right after diagnoses of life-threatening diseases.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,084,274 times
Those damn lawyers are at it again. Helping the weak get justice. Time for some more tort reform. We can't have this.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,953,749 times
Wait a minute. You're not alking about ACORN? You mean there is corruption in other organizations? Why isn't FOX news seriously focusing on this story? Has Hannity gotten a hold of it? I'll bet his whole show today will be devoted to this outrage!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,185,020 times
$10,000,000.00? Yeah, I agree that the insurance company should be penalized and forced to cover this person's care, but $10M? That's just a bit excessive.

I do find it ironic - although not surprising - that the people who cheer decisions like this one are the very same people who complain the loudest about the cost of health insurance.

Are they all really just that stupid? Or is it something else?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,815,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
$10,000,000.00? Yeah, I agree that the insurance company should be penalized and forced to cover this person's care, but $10M? That's just a bit excessive.

I do find it ironic - although not surprising - that the people who cheer decisions like this one are the very same people who complain the loudest about the cost of health insurance.

I agree 10 M is excessive. They should have to pay about $750,000 and then pay for all the medicines he had to pay for out of pocket and such.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

No they know that malpractice costs are an insignificant component of health care costs. We aren't the stupid ones. The stupid ones are the sheeple who believe the rant that suing an insurance company for bad faith or a doctor for negligence is the problem. It's the underlying bad faith and negligence that is a problem.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,343,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I agree 10 M is excessive. They should have to pay about $750,000 and then pay for all the medicines he had to pay for out of pocket and such.
Punitive damages aren't about anything but punishment. If the amount isn't big enough to hurt then they won't learn their lesson.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,929,497 times
problem is.. insurance companies do not learn any lessons.. they just pay it out and jack up everyone's rates to pay for it.. they don't lose anything in this deal...
I feel bad for this guy for being denied coverage.. but 10 million dollars? you could provide basic medical services to a small african country for that much...

Problem when everything is in the hands of independent private entities.. everyone has a right to file a lawsuit and it is up to the individual courts to determine who wins and who loses and what is appropriate for a pay out...
That is just too much a a variance to make private healthcare anything other than expensive for everyone...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
problem is.. insurance companies do not learn any lessons.. they just pay it out and jack up everyone's rates to pay for it.. they don't lose anything in this deal...
I feel bad for this guy for being denied coverage.. but 10 million dollars? you could provide basic medical services to a small african country for that much...

Problem when everything is in the hands of independent private entities.. everyone has a right to file a lawsuit and it is up to the individual courts to determine who wins and who loses and what is appropriate for a pay out...
That is just too much a a variance to make private healthcare anything other than expensive for everyone...
I agree the fine should be assess personally against the CEO. That will get his attention.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 912 times
http://www.youtube.com/laylafanucci2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies