Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I have bought nothing BUT Toyotas and I will never buy anything BUT Toyotas. For the money, they are the best cars on the planet.
Same here. I drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser and plan to drive it till the wheels fall off, which will be quite a long time if the other Toyotas i've owned are any measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
I have bought nothing BUT Toyotas and I will never buy anything BUT Toyotas. For the money, they are the best cars on the planet.
On the new car market, maybe the prices are decent. But I've yet to see a used toyota selling for what I'd consider reasonable. Try as I might, I cannot see paying over 2 grand for ANY car with over 200k on the odometer. Yet this is what people ask for a Corolla here. It's ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
On the new car market, maybe the prices are decent. But I've yet to see a used toyota selling for what I'd consider reasonable. Try as I might, I cannot see paying over 2 grand for ANY car with over 200k on the odometer. Yet this is what people ask for a Corolla here. It's ridiculous.
EEK! That is too much for a car with over 200K. I had a Camry with over 300K that was still running fantastic but the only reason I sold it was because the AC went out (finally). I sold it for 700 dollars 3 years ago; it's probably still running today because at the time it had never leaked oil, never had any problems, all of the electric (sunroof, windows, etc) worked perfect, and it drove like a dream. Plus I loved the way it looked and I still love the way an '89 Camry looks!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Shifting into neutral works if the engine is running at <5,000 rpm. At 5,000+ rpm, there's a neutral lockout and you won't be able to shift the car into neutral. Complicating the issue further, some cars have a keyless ignition; they start by pushing a button when a proximity sensor keyfob is within range. Many people don't know this, but if the runaway car is already at 5,000+ rpm (easily reached with a wide-open throttle), the only action that can be taken is to turn the key, or depress the ignition button for 3-5 seconds, to shut off the engine.
Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com - View Single Post - Thank You Toyota

Forewarned is forearmed. Please drive carefully!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I would never buy foreign cars. I only stick with GM, Chrysler or Ford.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:20 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Is it too much to ask for the 911 operator to give direction instead of asking ridiculous questions, like where are you?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I know very little about this issue, I had just guessed that the computer program designed to hold the throttle constant during my cruise operation that instead told it to constantly accelerate seems to be a similar lapse in programing that the new cars experience.

More realistically though, I would guess electrionic failure in my control stick, instead of telling it to hold constant the "ACC" switch signal is being sent.

That should throw a code with an ETC equipped vehicle since there would be a logic conflict between the requested throttle position and the TPS feedback signal. Since I found nothing about stored DTCs in the stories I have read about vehicles that have had this problem, a non-monitored function/circuit appears to be involved. This could originate in the engine controller as a software issue.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Is it too much to ask for the 911 operator to give direction instead of asking ridiculous questions, like where are you?
At least they didn't get the typical 911 operator "calm down" lecture. My hope is that as many people as possible will see the video instructing them how to stop a runaway vehicle since I have little confidence that Toyota really knows what is causing this problem.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
EEK! That is too much for a car with over 200K. I had a Camry with over 300K that was still running fantastic but the only reason I sold it was because the AC went out (finally). I sold it for 700 dollars 3 years ago; it's probably still running today because at the time it had never leaked oil, never had any problems, all of the electric (sunroof, windows, etc) worked perfect, and it drove like a dream. Plus I loved the way it looked and I still love the way an '89 Camry looks!

I just had to laugh at this one. You loved your Camry so much you forgot what it looked like. The car you posted is not even a Camry, it is a Cressida.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I'm sure it varies by make and model of vehicle. But my '94 Diesel Chevy truck, with OBD I computer system uses fly by wire. If a Chevy truck had it that early, I'm sure many cars did as well.

Yachtcare has spoken.......
BMW introduced drive by wire back in the late 80's on the 750i.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies