Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,156,651 times

Advertisements

An irate Staten Island mom blasted a grade school principal Wednesday for treating her son like a pint-sized Plaxico Burress after he brought a 2-inch-long toy gun to school.

"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable," said Laura Timoney, 44, after her teary fourth-grader was nearly suspended for playing with the tiny toy at lunch.

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,049,155 times
"[The other] boy's Lego man was toting a tiny ax, which the principal deemed less threatening."

Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,818,791 times
Yeah we have freedoms in this country

Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,810,694 times
Zero tolerance means zero common sense.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,156,651 times

Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,547,179 times
The principal should be fired for an obvious lack of sense and judgement.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,268,162 times
My kid got suspended for bringig a figernail clipper to school. No common sense, period.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,131,629 times
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here.... ((And probably gonna get scorned for even remotely defending the school, but I don't care))

On one hand, it's a two-inch plastic thing that resembles a gun. On the other hand, schools don't play around at all when it comes to anything that resembles a gun.

Heck, I remember the day I had to visit the school psychologist and principal for a drawing I did that *gasp* had a gun. I found it hilarious, up until the point where they took my drawing and trashed it. ((After that, I stuck with spears and swords.))

One could say that the school went overboard.. but a simple google search for the term "2-inch gun" lead to this: Lethal 2-Inch Gun is World's Smallest - dated March 2008. Take a close look at that gun and tell me it looks deadly. Cause, that monster looks about as harmless as this kid's toy.

The school followed protocol. Bring him to the principal for a talk, call the parents - and inform everyone involved that nothing that resembles a gun is allowed on the premise. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance. No exceptions.

Instead of turning the incident into a cash cow, the mom should discuss with her child that a mistake was made (in him bringing it) and that it shouldn't happen again. Something to the effect of: "You made a mistake and there were consequences. Now you know for next time to not bring it." And that really should be the end of it.

Now, if they interrogated him, locked him in a room, cuffed him, etc, etc - that would be going too far.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,271,675 times
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,810,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here.... ((And probably gonna get scorned for even remotely thinking this way, but I don't care))

On one hand, it's a two-inch plastic thing that resembles a gun. On the other hand, schools don't play around at all when it comes to anything that resembles a gun.

Heck, I remember the day I had to visit the school psychologist and principal for a drawing I did that *gasp* had a gun. I found it hilarious, up until the point where they took my drawing and trashed it. ((After that, I stuck with spears and swords.))

One could say that the school went overboard.. but a simple google search for the term "2-inch gun" lead to this: Lethal 2-Inch Gun is World's Smallest - dated March 2008. Take a close look at that gun and tell me it looks deadly. Cause, that monster looks about as harmless as this kid's toy.

The school followed protocol. Bring him to the principal for a talk, call the parents - and inform everyone involved that nothing that resembles a gun is allowed on the premise. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance. No exceptions.

Instead of turning the incident into a cash cow, the mom should discuss with her child that a mistake was made (in him bringing it) and that it shouldn't happen again. Something to the effect of: "You made a mistake and there were consequences. Now you know for next time to not bring it." And that really should be the end of it.

Now, if they interrogated him, locked him in a room, cuffed him, etc, etc - that would be going too far.
But therin lies the problem. Zero tolerance was not zero tolerance for all weapons, only one resembling an ERB. In real life, an ax is just as much of a threat and an ERB is just as much as a tool.

If one is going to have a zero-tolerance policy on GUNS (OMG...shudder) then have a zero tolerance on ALL WEAPONS. The zero tolerance against GUNS only is a political agenda. Zero tolerance against ALL WEAPONS sends a message about no depiction of tools for violence without cherry picking for political purposes. It is just common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies