Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:48 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
wow I'm young so i don't remember any of these ads but WOW people were sexist back then. that ad with the husband with his foot on his wifes head and the wife is a rug is just..... wow
And to think some people-even on this forum- think they are cute or funny. I feel so SORRY for their wives and daughters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Hey, that's funny, say some posters her!. Beating your wife and treating her like dirt is HI-LARIOUS!

We're just too "sensitive" and "PC".
Oh you bet. We are just ******* now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Don't think the Aunt Jemima ones were so funny ... Neither the ones where the wife's head was stepped on by the husband nor the lysol feminine ad. Glad folks attitudes have changed to where these ads make us cringe.
I tried to rep you. But could not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is the point. These ads, that we clearly recognize now as appallingly racist and sexist, were at one time absolutely acceptable. We have come a long way civilly since those ads!
Hence why I say it proudly-I AM GLAD we dont live back then. Agh. I am so proud of our country and where it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Women are the targeted audience because they are more likely to purchase these products and can relate more to the women in the ads. Now if we were to feature a gorgeous guy using the product, that may also grab a gals attention.
Which was the theory behind having some hunk on a brand of paper towels.

Quote:
I don't know about you but I see just as many men shopping for groceries as I do women - and I mean carrying the cart around and piling stuff not just getting a few things. So why is it taboo for men to be seen cleaning on advertisements for products that they will buy?
In my neighborhood of mostly married couples, it's mainly women doing the shopping, at least say 2/3 women to 1/3 men. I don't think men generally buy cleaning products, just food, unless they live alone.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
I know, I was just posing the question. But you're right, and I think women need to put their foot down. Everything should be equal in any relationship, otherwise one person is bound to be unhappy.
I agree about household chores being equal especially if they both work. The only exception is when the woman decides to be a stay at home wife, then the responsibility of housecleaning, etc falls upon her.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
40 years from now young folks will be shocked....shocked by today's advertisements and by societal attitudes that shock no one now. And those who are now young will be talking about how much better things were "back then."

Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Women are the targeted audience because they are more likely to purchase these products and can relate more to the women in the ads. Now if we were to feature a gorgeous guy using the product, that may also grab a gals attention.

It's still sexist and an insult to women..maybe things would equal out if children saw ads with The Royal Male doing the cleaning instead of black housekeepers, butlers and women?????

Maybe if they inserted a male into the ad it would grab boy's and men's attention

Quote:
I don't know about you but I see just as many men shopping for groceries as I do women - and I mean carrying the cart around and piling stuff not just getting a few things. So why is it taboo for men to be seen cleaning on advertisements for products that they will buy?
Yes, if the poor things can learn how to push a grocery cart maybe they could graduate to cleaning???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
True, perhaps in the future our children will look at the advertisements used today and shake their heads in disbelief.
NOW is the time to make them shake their heads over this...

Quote:
I did not say it was taboo but in many married households, the woman still does a bulk of the cleaning.

And this the 21st century...isn't it time for human equality....isn't it time to stop the circle and inject a Royal Male into a cleaning commercial and maybe it would help attitudes change???

Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And this the 21st century...isn't it time for human equality....isn't it time to stop the circle and inject a Royal Male into a cleaning commercial and maybe it would help attitudes change???
Why don't you write companies like P&G and convince them they should spend their advertising dollars on trying to change who does the majority of the housework.

(I'd guess they are more interested in targeting the ones using and buying their competitors products)

Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 PM

324 posts, read 573,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I wonder how these ads would go over today???

Bad Ads From The Good Ol' Days
Greatday, also I want to thank you (and a few others) for posting those old ads. It was fun to go through!
Yeah, some of them are little excentric, and all of them politically incorrect for nowdays, but they brought back the great atmosphere of the good old days.
I haven't lived in The US until mid 80's (when the good time was about ending), but still had a pretty close idea about life in The US back in the old days through some magazines and american movies. It was a great country back then, booming economy, social standards were making more sense, less rules and regulations, way less (if any) security concerns, much better music... I would imagine, also less tight and less depressed people. True dream for potential immigrants from all over the world.
It would be very nice, if we had the option to choose the time period in which we want to live. In a heartbeat, I would choose the old days.

Hello, to all of you - the old time lovers, you're my friends!

Last edited by paulpan; 02-07-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,510 times
Wouldn't mind seeing that Tipalet ad again.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Greatday, also I want to thank you (and a few others) for posting those old ads. It was fun to go through!
Yeah, some of them are little excentric, and all of them politically incorrect for nowdays, but they brought back the great atmosphere of the good old days.
I haven't lived in The US until mid 80's (when the good time was about ending), but still had a pretty close idea about life in The US back in the old days through some magazines and american movies. It was a great country back then, booming economy, social standards were making more sense, less rules and regulations, way less (if any) security concerns, much better music... I would imagine, also less tight and less depressed people. True dream for potential immigrants from all over the world.
It would be very nice, if we had the option to choose the time period in which we want to live. In a heartbeat, I would choose the old days.

Hello, to all of you - the old time lovers, you're my friends!
Let me guess...you are a white male?

I grew up in the 50s, came of age in the 60s, started having children in the 70s. I remember the time when I could not get a MasterCard in my name unless my husband signed for me (1974) - and I did all the financial planning in our house (still do)! I would never wish for the days when my daughter was considered less a person than my son. No, thank you - I'll take the present day - for many, many reasons.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 AM

324 posts, read 573,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Let me guess...you are a white male?

I grew up in the 50s, came of age in the 60s, started having children in the 70s. I remember the time when I could not get a MasterCard in my name unless my husband signed for me (1974) - and I did all the financial planning in our house (still do)! I would never wish for the days when my daughter was considered less a person than my son. No, thank you - I'll take the present day - for many, many reasons.
ray, I understand where you are comming from, and I'm not going to address that. That would be another whole topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies