Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am 21 and know that when I get to the age where I go over the hill and about to die, there will no social security even though I paid THOUSANDS in it.

Pathetic.
I don't think that will be true, unless, of course, the GOP has its way in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't think that will be true, unless, of course, the GOP has its way in the future.
Really? You think so? How do you come to this conclusion?

I mean, SS is failing as far as I can see right now. Esp with foreign immigrants who have never worked a DAY in their lives getting pension. Utterly pathetic.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I mean, SS is failing as far as I can see right now. Esp with foreign immigrants who have never worked a DAY in their lives getting pension. Utterly pathetic.
The whole area of entitlements will have to be addressed. There has long been need of reform in that. This Country has established a commitment to certain social responsibilities, that isn't going away. It is actually part of what makes this Country great. It is the youth of today that will shape it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM

377 posts, read 326,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When I withdrew - I merely had to tell them - "I'm withdrawing", signing forms agreeing to never seek any benefits ever (including the death benefit), they gave me a check for what I had contributed to that point - and that was it.

They have made it harder today - but, there are many who still are opting out.
You're either a minister, a longtime government worker or living in TX. I think those are the classes eligible for opting out.

What I'm driving at is that the program is mandatory for the bulk of US workers.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:

FL Bob is right. He's supported by the findings of the SS Actuaries.

The question is, how do you get to your conclusion of no benefits for you?

If foreign immigrants never worked a day in their life, they will not get a SS retirement benefit.

To participate in the SS retirement program, you have to earn it.

How do you qualify for retirement benefits?

When you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn “credits†toward Social Security benefits.

The number of credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on when you were born. If you were born in 1929 or later, you need 40 credits (10 years of work).

If you stop working before you have enough credits to qualify for benefits, the credits will remain on your Social Security record. If you return to work later on, you can add more credits so that you qualify. No retirement benefits can be paid until you have the required number of credits.
Source: SS website

Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
You're either a minister, a longtime government worker or living in TX. I think those are the classes eligible for opting out..
None of the above. As I said, when I opted out (some 40 years ago), there were no such requirements. You simply opted out.

I'm fairly sure the "rules" ended up being changed because MILLIONS of Americans opted out - and the Government probable got a little scared

No - I simply said I Opt out - and I got my money back. But again, this was 4 decades ago

I can never get Social Security, Medicare, SSI etc - NOTHING associated with the program. I am completely responsible for my retirement monies and for my own health care. No Medicare in my future

BTW - the religious exemption currently in place is actually not that hard to comply with -

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
If foreign immigrants never worked a day in their life, they will not get a SS retirement benefit.

To participate in the SS retirement program, you have to earn it.
Not exactly true. We work with immigrants, torture victims actually, coming from war torn countries; Iraq, Iran, South Africa etc

And under a program for these types of immigrants (who are here lawfully btw), they qualify for certain benefits that are administered by SSA. This includes Disability benefits / payments and various Social Security payments as well.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I am 21 and know that when I get to the age where I go over the hill and about to die, there will no social security even though I paid THOUSANDS in it.

Pathetic.
I would say further, don't take what I or anybody on this board says about what needs to be done, as the answer. You, have a much more vested interest in the direction this Country takes. Do the work, look into the issues and evaluate for yourself, what best accommodates your future needs and hopes.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I would say further, don't take what I or anybody on this board says about what needs to be done, as the answer. You, have a much more vested interest in the direction this Country takes. Do the work, look into the issues and evaluate for yourself, what best accommodates your future needs and hopes.
Excellent advice

Kudos to you

Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
None of the above. As I said, when I opted out (some 40 years ago), there were no such requirements. You simply opted out.

I'm fairly sure the "rules" ended up being changed because MILLIONS of Americans opted out - and the Government probable got a little scared

No - I simply said I Opt out - and I got my money back. But again, this was 4 decades ago

I can never get Social Security, Medicare, SSI etc - NOTHING associated with the program. I am completely responsible for my retirement monies and for my own health care. No Medicare in my future

BTW - the religious exemption currently in place is actually not that hard to comply with -
I had no idea I was talking with a man...of your mileage. Good for you sir.

Then you must be a state or local worker covered by a separate state/municipal plan prior to the change of law.

It's a shame that the good things done by social security scares 'MILLIONS' of people. I would think one would be honored to participate in such a noble program where aiding the elderly in their golden years means more than the rhetoric of self reliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies