Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm not sure atheism is more common on the left, although I wouldn't doubt it.

My first impression is that because both choosing to take leftist political positions, like rejecting religion, involves rejecting what you've been told by the authority figures that run our society. Someone who is willing to simply accept what is being dished out, and not question what they're told, is more likely to follow the establishment line on both politics and religion.
I would disagree that leftist political positions include rejecting religion. . . a most obviously untrue statement from my experience. Many churchs are predominantly liberal in their philosophy. . . even many Catholic Churches. . . regardless of the Pope's opinion. Good people, smart people, make up their own minds about ethical issues, and are not dictated to by any organized religion. In fact, many organized religions are in the business of "brainwashing" their congregations into beliefs that are political in nature, rather than spiritual, and those who cannot see this are not looking very closely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that many on the left could be religious, they just keep their spiritual beliefs out of politics. So for instance, they could be christian and personally never ever consider having an abortion... however they do believe in the individual's personal right to choice in the matter. Liberals tend to be thinkers and will form their own opinions and not blindly follow the directives of their church leaders. Liberals believe strongly in the separation of church and state.
My thoughts, exactly.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
Part of the left has no beleif in god

Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd describe myself as spiritual rather than religious. Religion is a creation of man, therefore subject to all the flaws and weaknesses of man.
I love this: 'I'm not religious, I'm spiritual'. You might as well say you don't believe in anything.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
Why are you tag teaming to turn Republican and Democrat into religions???

Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Because the social darwinists, who would starve children to get tax cuts, band together with the bible thumpers and kill my faith.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
I love this: 'I'm not religious, I'm spiritual'. You might as well say you don't believe in anything.
You couldn't be farther from the truth. What do you think it is that connects you to GOD (I'm assuming you to be religious).

I'm a very spiritual person but not a religious person. My parents follow the Christian religion but are non-denominational.

There's a lot more to this whole thing than you'd like to realize.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I think you'd have to define religious for a start because there are a lot of people who attend church, pay the tithe, and call themselves "religious" or "Christians" that don't exactly talk the talk or walk the walk.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Organized religions, of any type, are deeply flawed, and in my opinion, are in the service of special interest groups. Many left leaning people have recognized that the agenda of religious groups has less to do with true spirituality than it does with human greed and the desire to control others, and therefore reject it.
I guess the same could be said about political parties. Do you belong to a political party?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I guess the same could be said about political parties. Do you belong to a political party?
good point. yes, I do belong to a political party, but I vote independently. the choice of belonging to a party is to have a vote in primary elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies