Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 38,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
'Good and decent' are relative terms. America's moral values are more like those of 14th Century Europe. Even more intense among the Right.
Do you think that those of us in the middle would probably agree on what constitutes good and decent? We'd at least come closer to agreeing than those on the fringes, and we would also be much less prone to becoming verbally abusive and/or violent about our opinions in places where we didn't quite agree.

I would like to know more about what you mean about our moral values being like 14th Century Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM

45 posts, read 30,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I'll give this one a shot. . . what they measure is relative intelligence in a homogenius population . . . . so, intelligence tests among 3rd graders in affluent Chicago suburbs, with similar schools will be accurate in that population. But. . . it you measure all Chicagoland 3rd graders, with the large differences in economic levels, nationalities, cultures, languages, etc., the results will mean very little.

IQ tests are the same no matter where you live or your background. Those issues could potentially affect results but in no way means the results mean little. Test scores are based on the population at large.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My mind reading skills are dulled this morning. Please expand.
We're Only Human...: Does Smart Equal Liberal?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
And of course yours is well above average.
Anything to actually say? Or do you just insult when you can't respond?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Why does God allow children to die of malnourishment or disease?
Why does he allow natural disasters to kill innocent people?

He sure does work in mysterious ways.
That is another misconception of God. He does not micro manage everything that happens in our life, our world. What happens is the result of sin being introduced into the world. If all you consider is this life, this time, it is easy to be confused, upset. It is eternity that in the end matters. I have always taught my children that it is not what God allows to happens in your life that matters most but how you accept it, deal with it and get on with life.

It has worked very well for my family and friends and we have and more trial and tribulations than most.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
I love this: 'I'm not religious, I'm spiritual'. You might as well say you don't believe in anything.

Why, because I believe there are forces in the universe understood by no mere mortal, including the ones with their hands out claiming they do? If nothing else I believe your thoughts here are totally without merit.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I find this comment very funny.......hard lefties find religion subject to all the flaws and weaknesses of man, yet hard lefties believe every word of Obama who IS A MAN, full of flaws and weaknesses.

Doesn't make sense.

What doesn't make sense is your post.

Religion is man, flaws and all, claiming to speak for God.

Just WHERE has anyone ever claimed Obama speaks for God except in your overactive imagination?

I don't find your post funny, just inane.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Poverty - Caring for the poor and vulnerable - is a religious issue
"Blessed are the poor." Jesus took care of the poor, blind, and ate with the sinful tax payers.

It's a human issue.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I bet it's simple arrogance. Some on the left view themselves as intelectually superior and can't accept the possibility of God or a higher power. In their mind, the world revolves around them. To each their own. It is a free country.

The topic concerns religion, not belief in a higher power. They're distinctly different things.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
To be religous you have to have a standard of morals. Many on the left have no morals.

To have a standard of morals you do not have to be religious.

Many on the right who claim to be religious have no morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies