Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Those on the left beleive that thier ultimate salvation lies in the government, not God. To believe in God and have faith would be "heresy" to them.

No, those on the left are capable of comprehending the simple concept of separating church and state. Many on the right apparently aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:46 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
That is another misconception of God. He does not micro manage everything that happens in our life, our world. What happens is the result of sin being introduced into the world. If all you consider is this life, this time, it is easy to be confused, upset. It is eternity that in the end matters. I have always taught my children that it is not what God allows to happens in your life that matters most but how you accept it, deal with it and get on with life.

It has worked very well for my family and friends and we have and more trial and tribulations than most.
That sounds like a nice snow job, but whatever works for you.

I guess I can understand with your trials and tribulations hoping for something a little better after you die can help you get through your day.

If God was not such a micromanager he would never have the time to bring little miracles to the world on a daily basis, now would he.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
i'm a catholic and i'm on the far left.
most ppl i know that are on the left are religious. i just think that the right has successfully labeled liberals and the left as godless. the left should fight back but most of us won't because we lack a backbone.

*shrugs*

Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgal22 View Post
Anything to actually say? Or do you just insult when you can't respond?
You brought the IQ subject to the table and I didn't insult you.

But I do have something to add: I was born and raised in Massachusetts. I was educated in the public school system and graduated from a private university in Boston (Northeastern Univ.).
Never in all those years was an IQ test administered institutionally to anyone at any time, yet I can Google IQ tests and politics and get plenty of hits, including specific data of my own state's IQ test results.
How does one get the results of tests which never occurred?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-09-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
They don't have to worry really.....When they get in a car wreck, or thier kid/wife gets cancer and they face that helpless black nothingness. Then the small voice inside will call out "Oh God" and guess what...He'll be there.............

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

But I do have something to add: I was born and raised in Massachusetts. I was educated in the public school system and graduated from a private university in Boston (Northeastern Univ.).
Never in all those years was an IQ test administered institutionally to anyone at any time, yet I can Google IQ tests and politics and get plenty of hits, including specific data of my own state's IQ test results.
The study to which that post linked was performed by a researcher at the University of Edinburgh...in Scotland...in the UK.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

I do think that at some point, I.Q tests were dropped from public ed systems. I must be older than you are, as we were tested in elementary school. I voluntarily did another test in college.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I grew up in Ohio in the '70s, and I definitely took an IQ test. My results, along with my brother's, are somewhere in a file cabinet in my parents' house. God only knows why they felt the need to keep them!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
They don't have to worry really.....When they get in a car wreck, or thier kid/wife gets cancer and they face that helpless black nothingness. Then the small voice inside will call out "Oh God" and guess what...He'll be there.............
Or you die and that's it.

Why did God make their kid get cancer anyway?

Why must you think everyone must believe in the same God and afterlife as you?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac

I initially thought this thread was a slam thread, and was pleasantly surprised to find it is not.

I'm a Christian, and a left-leaner in my political thinking. As for myself, I found the churches I went to became too politicized.

When I walk thrugh a church door I want to enter a place of worship, not Senator/Rep./President (insert name here)'s campaign headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies