Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Organized religions, of any type, are deeply flawed, and in my opinion, are in the service of special interest groups. Many left leaning people have recognized that the agenda of religious groups has less to do with true spirituality than it does with human greed and the desire to control others, and therefore reject it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that many on the left could be religious, they just keep their spiritual beliefs out of politics. So for instance, they could be christian and personally never ever consider having an abortion... however they do believe in the individual's personal right to choice in the matter. Liberals tend to be thinkers and will form their own opinions and not blindly follow the directives of their church leaders. Liberals believe strongly in the separation of church and state.

Now on the other hand, most black Americans are democrats, and most of them are church-going christians. And for blacks, abortion rights is not as much a concern for them, instead they care very much about their civil rights and having a better quality of life.
"Liberals are thinkers...". Don't flatter yourself. Liberals don't have a monopoly on thinking. Indeed if it is your assumption that being religious and being a thinker are incompatible then I have to question your own ability to think. Similarly with your stereotyping of Black Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
because they would Rather have faith in man developed from two gasses running into each other in a lava pool making a life out of nothing, then that a god created life. no matter which one you believe it takes blind faith. One prefers to believe and have faith a lava pool accidental creating life, one side believes and has faith that god created life.
Either way it takes faith

Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd describe myself as spiritual rather than religious. Religion is a creation of man, therefore subject to all the flaws and weaknesses of man.
I find this comment very funny.......hard lefties find religion subject to all the flaws and weaknesses of man, yet hard lefties believe every word of Obama who IS A MAN, full of flaws and weaknesses.

Doesn't make sense.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM

306 posts, read 476,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
Can't say. I'm a Catholic Pro-life God-loving Democrat myself.

I'm frightened when people talk like the only "moral" issues of politics are abortion and gay marriage. Sure, those issues are important. But think about all the ones that get neglected:

Poverty - Caring for the poor and vulnerable - is a religious issue
"Blessed are the poor." Jesus took care of the poor, blind, and ate with the sinful tax payers.

The Environment - Caring for God's earth - is a religious issue

War, and our call to bring peace - is a religious issue

Our treatment of humans and God's image in us - Is a religious issue

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
I love this: 'I'm not religious, I'm spiritual'. You might as well say you don't believe in anything.
I love this: You attack anyone who doesn't have the same religious belief as you. MY WAY IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
Because they are not full of hypocrisy.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM

I am not religious. I was raised Catholic and oh, what a load of crap I found it to be once I was old enough to realize what they were teaching me. I have no issues with people who are religious and don't force it on others.

Personally to me, I believe in being a good person and helping others, because I believe that's the way to live, not because if I don't, I'm going to hell.

Honestly, people say there is a man in the sky that tells you what's right and what's wrong. To me that's crazy, but to each their own.

Just don't expect everyone else to live by YOUR religion.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Because they are not full of hypocrisy.
Care to explain how being on the left and NOT being religious makes you a hypocrite?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I would disagree that leftist political positions include rejecting religion. . . a most obviously untrue statement from my experience. Many churchs are predominantly liberal in their philosophy. . . even many Catholic Churches. . . regardless of the Pope's opinion. Good people, smart people, make up their own minds about ethical issues, and are not dictated to by any organized religion. In fact, many organized religions are in the business of "brainwashing" their congregations into beliefs that are political in nature, rather than spiritual, and those who cannot see this are not looking very closely!
The idea that you can separate the spiritual from the public square is pure leftwing fallacy. Certainly the left doesn't abide by that dichotomy. How often have we heard from leftist politicians that we are our brother's keeper. That's a purely moral precept taken straight out of Genesis. I don't see that enshrined in the Constitution. But liberals sanctimioniously trot out this trope whenever they want to bludgeon the taxpayer with another tax or tax increase. Here's another one for you: "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone."

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
I would be very curious of the "religious" people on the right. Are they really religious or are they just putting in their time at church every Sunday? Do they wear religion as a empty label or do they live a truly religious life? I think of myself as spiritual, but I live a much more "religious" life than most of the Christians that I know (according to the Bible).

If you truly believe, you should not go to Church like you would traffic school. Just putting in your time for appearance sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies