Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I was using The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language and the Collins English Dictionary. I'm sure they are wrong though. Silly me.
  • Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence
  • Strong or unshakable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
Do you have a link for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Thats the point no one can prove life came from the big bang via lava pools. I have repeatedly said there is no proof of that.
That is my point you Can not prove where life originates so your belief takes faith in science .
There is no proof man was created by god.
there simply is no proof either way.
So either way it takes faith.

Rather than understand that you personally attack me.

Just like the left does
It's funny that you assume I'm a lefty: wrong.

It doesn't take faith to go with the best evidence only good sense which is apparently something mysterious to you.

And you never answered my question, you simply ducked it because you knew that in trying to answer it you would only prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
It's funny that you assume I'm a lefty: wrong.

It doesn't take faith to go with the best evidence only good sense which is apparently something mysterious to you.

And you never answered my question, you simply ducked it because you knew that in trying to answer it you would only prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.
I have ducked nothing.
You asked for an example of life coming from a lava pool,
I have rapidly said there is no proof or an example of man coming from a lava pool. I keep answering you and you keep saying I have not and then turn to calling me ignorant.
Show me the proof that man started with the big bang, not evidence show me the proof.
I can point to the bible as evidence, i can point to the Koran as evidence or any religion which has an origin of man. I can call that evidence but it not proof, there is no proof either way. without proof you have to have faith in there evidence you choose.
You Choose one direction i choose another, both take faith.
I respect yoru right to have faith in what you want.
I will not call you names or insult you because i do not have the same faith

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I have ducked nothing.
You asked for an example of life coming from a lava pool,
I have rapidly said there is no proof or an example of man coming from a lava pool. I keep answering you and you keep saying I have not and then turn to calling me ignorant.
Show me the proof that man started with the big bang, not evidence show me the proof.
I can point to the bible as evidence, i can point to the Koran as evidence or any religion which has an origin of man. I can call that evidence but it not proof, there is no proof either way. without proof you have to have faith in there evidence you choose.
You Choose one direction i choose another, both take faith.
I respect yoru right to have faith in what you want.
I will not call you names or insult you because i do not have the same faith
Earlier in the thread you talked about evolution as a theory that proposes that life originated in lava pools. I immediately knew that you hadn't studied evolution the least little bit because anyone that had would not make such a statement. How can you choose one side over the other without giving serious study and contemplation to both arguments.

A wise man studies the evidence before making a decision. You cannot site a collection of stories and allegories (the bible) as evidence. The fact is that you have no evidence to back up your position. None at all.

And again, it does not take faith to go where the evidence leads you, only prudence.

You seem completely unable to understand simple logic or scientific thought so I'll leave you with the only language that you can relate to:

Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the wisdom of your words. Proverbs 23:9

Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Earlier in the thread you talked about evolution as a theory that proposes that life originated in lava pools. I immediately knew that you hadn't studied evolution the least little bit because anyone that had would not make such a statement. How can you choose one side over the other without giving serious study and contemplation to both arguments.

A wise man studies the evidence before making a decision. You cannot site a collection of stories and allegories (the bible) as evidence. The fact is that you have no evidence to back up your position. None at all.

And again, it does not take faith to go where the evidence leads you, only prudence.

You seem completely unable to understand simple logic or scientific thought so I'll leave you with the only language that you can relate to:

Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the wisdom of your words. Proverbs 23:9
Please quote me where i connected the theory of evolution to lava pools.
I did say that some believe life started as a one cell creature in a lava pool. i never said it was part of the theory of evolution.
The theory of evolution has no answer to the question if we evolved from a once cell being or not. Scientific theory would say that if we did evolve from a one cell organism it would be through mutation. Mutations of living cells have a 99% death rate That is the problem with the theory of evolution.
Of course it takes faith, you must have faith in the evidence you choose to follow. whether you wish to call it faith or belief is your choice.
But there is no proof of the origin of man, so no matter what you believe you have to have faith.
You are great at quoting the works of god but you do not believe in him.
So you use the words in gods book but you have no faith in him.
But I will not insult you

Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Please quote me where i connected the theory of evolution to lava pools.
I did say that some believe life started as a one cell creature in a lava pool. i never said it was part of the theory of evolution.
The theory of evolution has no answer to the question if we evolved from a once cell being or not. Scientific theory would say that if we did evolve from a one cell organism it would be through mutation. Mutations of living cells have a 99% death rate That is the problem with the theory of evolution.
Of course it takes faith, you must have faith in the evidence you choose to follow. whether you wish to call it faith or belief is your choice.
But there is no proof of the origin of man, so no matter what you believe you have to have faith.
You are great at quoting the works of god but you do not believe in him.
So you use the words in gods book but you have no faith in him.
But I will not insult you
Keep tap dancing. You're very good at it -that and semantic pseudo-arguments.

I quoted some scripture to prove that I am familiar with your world. You on the other hand know nothing about evolution.

And I don't care if you insult me or not. Do you think that taking the moral high ground makes your arguments stronger?

I'll say it again for the hard of thinking: It takes no faith to follow the evidence, only prudence. You can talk and talk an talk, but you cannot argue this truth away. You can only banish it by conviction; the essence of faith.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Keep tap dancing. You're very good at it -that and semantic pseudo-arguments.

I quoted some scripture to prove that I am familiar with your world. You on the other hand know nothing about evolution.

And I don't care if you insult me or not. Do you think that taking the moral high ground makes your arguments stronger?

I'll say it again for the hard of thinking: It takes no faith to follow the evidence, only prudence. You can talk and talk an talk, but you cannot argue this truth away. You can only banish it by conviction; the essence of faith.
you have no proof only faith in your evidence.
I keep a moral high ground because there is no reason not to respect what you wish to have faith in. I just do not feel any need to call you names because i see things different from you.
we are only arguing about semantics, to think you do not have to have faith to beleive in the evidence that can not be proven.
The problem with that is if you do not have faith in the evidence that You beleive in , then you are not able to make that evidence the truth.
both sides takes a leap of faith.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
you have no proof only faith in your evidence.
I keep a moral high ground because there is no reason not to respect what you wish to have faith in. I just do not feel any need to call you names because i see things different from you.
we are only arguing about semantics, to think you do not have to have faith to beleive in the evidence that can not be proven.
The problem with that is if you do not have faith in the evidence that You beleive in , then you are not able to make that evidence the truth.
both sides takes a leap of faith.
Wrong. Your argument is a semantic one.

My argument is a logical one. Very different.

It takes no faith to follow where evidence leads you.

To believe in something without evidence requires faith.

You can spin it any way you choose, but you can't change this fact without abandoning reason and logic altogether.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
An atom is provable. the origin of man is not. So you either have faith in the big bang or faith in a creattor. Since neither can be proved , they both take faith
My either/or black/white argument went right over your head, didn't it.

No, you don't have to believe either one. And there are a lot more theories/explanations of the origins than just those two.

I'm an agnostic. I don't know the origins of the universe and neither do you. I have faith in neither one of your choices. I am perfectly comfortable with not knowing.

If people were more willing to say "I don't know," there would be a lot more peace in this world.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Thats the point no one can prove life came from the big bang via lava pools. I have repeatedly said there is no proof of that.
That is my point you Can not prove where life originates so your belief takes faith in science .
There is no proof man was created by god.
there simply is no proof either way.
So either way it takes faith.

Rather than understand that you personally attack me.

Just like the left does

Are you a religious person? Because to me there is a distinct difference between believing there is a personal god/entity or natural governing force of some kind which has set the universe in motion and the rhetoric of our religious institutions.

You yourself said there is no proof man was created by god and you also said that you do not know where the concept of god began.

We already know the concept of god did not begin with the Abrahamic religions, so why should any of us believe the popular religions of today such as Christianity hold any more universal truth than the religions and gods that came before it.

It's all very archaic to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies