Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you can not prove the origin of man by the eveolutionary theory
If you mean the origin of life, that's been said repeatedly. What's your point?

It's a million times more feasible than creationism (in terms of how flora/fauna came to be), as it is backed by volumes and volumes of observable evidence.

Last edited by Art123; 02-25-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
So you can not prove the origin of man by the eveolutionary theory
Oh to the contrary. The Theory of Evolution is conclusive regarding the origins of modern man. Besides the paleontological record, genetics has shut the door on non-evolutionary theory.

Human evolutionary genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
My daughter attended a Lutheran college and majored in biology. One of her required courses was a course on evolution. She had a professor there who did not believe in evolution and he said he was told he could not be the head of the bio dept for that reason. A lot of these beliefs come down to personal choice of the individual, not the church's edict.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here are the postitions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America on choice, stem-cell research, separation of church and state, and gay marriage. These are church-wide positions. Of course, individual members may have their own opinions. The gays in the ministry position has been somewhat divisive since it was adopted last summer. Some have left the church, but the church stands by its position.

Abortion - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

This church recognizes that there can be sound reasons for ending a pregnancy through induced abortion.

Ask a Scientist - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

See #6

Church and State A Series of Statements of the United Lutheran Church in America - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

A hisorical perspective of separation of church and state

Policies and Procedures - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Current postition:

Work with civil authorities in areas of mutual endeavor, maintaining institutional separation of church and state in a relation of functional interaction (ELCA 4.03.n.).

ELCA Assembly Opens Ministry to Partnered Gay and Lesbian Lutherans - News Releases - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

In matters of separation of church and state, most protestant denominations are firmly in favor of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
See #5 re: evolution.

Ask a Scientist - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Except among the most fundamentalist Christians, belief in evolution is a non-issue. Even in that group, I'm sure there are some who believe in it.
Wow, thanks for the links. Very interesting reading.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,326 times
Quote:
Please prove to me then that the evolutionary theory proves as a fact the origin of man
You might as well ask someone to prove that you can write a symphony. The fact is that you can write a symphony and I can prove it.

But first you'll have to learn to read and write music. Then you'll have to learn music theory. Then you'll have to study other symphonic works and then finally you can write your own symphony albeit a very poor one most likely.

The point is that it's complicated and takes a long time to learn and understand. It's the same way with evolution. That's why I say that you need an education. And you really do. I'm not trying to be a d*ck here, but face up to the fact: You have a mind like a child's -completely devoid of rational thought process. In scientific circles there is no debate whatsoever on the validity of evolutionary theory. But somehow you are smarter than all these educated people who have devoted a lifetime of study to the subject.

That's some ego you have there wjtwet.

I give up. You can't reason with the unreasonable.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
If you mean the origin of life, that's been said repeatedly. What's your point?

It's a million times more feasible than creationism (in terms of how flora/fauna came to be), as it is backed by volumes and volumes of observable evidence.
the point is what I have said all along . There is no way to prove if man was created by god, or if you do not believe in god, you also can not prove how man got on earth.
So either side must uses faith to back their contention.

Faith is the belief is something that can not be proved

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
You might as well ask someone to prove that you can write a symphony. The fact is that you can write a symphony and I can prove it.

But first you'll have to learn to read and write music. Then you'll have to learn music theory. Then you'll have to study other symphonic works and then finally you can write your own symphony albeit a very poor one most likely.

The point is that it's complicated and takes a long time to learn and understand. It's the same way with evolution. That's why I say that you need an education. And you really do. I'm not trying to be a d*ck here, but face up to the fact: You have a mind like a child's -completely devoid of rational thought process. In scientific circles there is no debate whatsoever on the validity of evolutionary theory. But somehow you are smarter than all these educated people who have devoted a lifetime of study to the subject.

That's some ego you have there wjtwet.

I give up. You can't reason with the unreasonable.

Have a nice day.
there is no ego involved.
you must have faith to believe man was created by god
You must have faith that man was not created by god.
neither can be proved so you have to have faith in what you you choose to believe in.
I truly do not see why you can argue that simple statement.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times
Quote:
the point is what I have said all along . There is no way to prove if man was created by god, or if you do not believe in god, you also can not prove how man got on earth.
So either side must uses faith to back their contention.

Faith is the belief is something that can not be proved
Evolution is based on volumes and volumes of observable facts and data. The weakness in Evolution Theory is origins of life, not the origins of man. You are trying to exploit that weakness in ways that do not hold water. Observable facts show that plants and animals change over time - they evolve. The data is undeniable. The reason Evolution is believable is observable evidence.

Creationism is based on a fable. There is no evidence, except for one fictional book, to support it. The only way to believe in Creationism is faith.

If you want to equate the two like you have, your faith has completely trumped your ability to reason, and reasonable discussion with such a person is futile.

Believe what you want.

I'll observe the facts and base what I know on that, but I thoroughly respect your capacity to believe as I point out your inability to reason.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Evolution is based on volumes and volumes of observable facts and data. The weakness in Evolution Theory is origins of life, not the origins of man. You are trying to exploit that weakness in ways that do not hold water. Observable facts show that plants and animals change over time - they evolve. The data is undeniable. The reason Evolution is believable is observable evidence.

Creationism is based on a fable. There is no evidence, except for one fictional book, to support it. The only way to believe in Creationism is faith.

If you want to equate the two like you have, your faith has completely trumped your ability to reason, and reasonable discussion with such a person is futile.

Believe what you want.

I'll observe the facts and base what I know on that, but I thoroughly respect your capacity to believe as I point out your inability to reason.
there are no facts that prove the evolutionary theory proves the origin of life . In fact the evolutionary theory does nto even discuss the origin of life.
And you can beleive what you want and have faith in science

Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Congratulations. You posted examples of places other than the United States... Now, if it's "too easy" show an example from the United States.

Because I could post at least 100 links of faith-believers using their faith in government. ((Albeit in about 7 hours when I wake up.))
In your post you stated :
Quote:
I don't see atheist politicians enacting laws and repealing laws because their faith (or lack thereof) guides them to.
I can't think of any example in America were avowed Atheist politicans have held the levers of political power. Therefore, We have to look at other countries for examples of how atheists treat believer when the atheists are in power.

The closest thing we have to a community run with purely secular or aethistic values in america is college campuses. And there we get this:

Quote:
Christians, from conservative to liberal, say that on a college campus they not infrequently experience overt disrespect - and sometimes even discrimination
Campus Christians: not always at ease / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

...And that's from the more even-handed CSM, I'll spare you the dozens of links to more strident Christain sites on the topic of anti-Christian & anti-religous discrimination in Academia.

So please, don't act like atheists in power treat the faithful well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies