Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people have to pass a drug test to recieve welfair benefits?
yes 91 77.12%
no 27 22.88%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:53 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
More so than the average business person who fudges his taxes or doesn't follow the rules? Doesn't just about everyone play the system in one way or the other?
I don't know who he is; thus I am a lowly health care worker and my experience has been with the poor.
Are you referring to the people who are paying the majority of the taxes in this country? I get to have >37% my check seized by the government and 70% of that goes to programs like welfare; I don't make that much (and I don't get it back at the end of the year either).
I was taking it for granted the OP meant adult welfare people.

Oh, BTW - keep posting buddy, it was your first post and we alllllll make mistakes. Look at what you generated.

Welfare = entitlement program that hasn't "been paid into" by the families whom receive it (in most cases). The adult should be, and I do say should, be modeling correct behaviour for their children. There are many who do need it and are very good parents. But the ones I know teach their kids to take advantige of it. It's a reality that people do not want to face.
I'm not for drug testing in any situation. Why can't I go out on the weekend; shoot a few dozen speed balls and smoke a pound of weed? What happened to faith and good will? Ohhhhhh please; I can already hear the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
This has to be facetious.

1. While it's called a "tax" because it is, for most people, a mandatory deduction, Social Security is a pension program available only to people who work and their families. It isn't based on need. It's isn't a handout.
2. Both alcohol and cigarettes are legal.
3. Most people on Social Security have other income.

You really love big government, don't you?
Social Security is subsidized in that most people who live long enough to collect it usually collect everything they put into it within a few years. Past that time they are living off the earnings of others who are working now or have died before they could collect. It is my view that any money sent by the government to people should not be used for alcohol, cigarettes, gambling or drugs. It should be used to pay for food, shelter, utilities and other expenses of life.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Every single person on welfare should not only have a drug test but they should have a complete physical exam.

If they are physically able to work then they need to EARN their welfare by volunteering within the city. Doing jobs like cleaning up the streets, parks, picking up trash along the roads, cutting grass etc.

Each city has to pay city workers to do all of this, when the people on welfare can do it for free in exchange for them receiving free food and housing.

No healthy person should be just sitting on their butts if they are on welfare.

It is stealing.

If you are healthy then you should be forced to do something to EARN your keep.

Give them a trash bag and make them walk along the roads to pick up trash or something.
I agree. The Devil dreams of an idle horse. But their kids have to be looked after while they work.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Again, most people get welfare for their kids. Are you willing to throw kids in the street without food or put them in foster care merely because their parent failed a drug test? Remember, not all drug users are non-functioning addicts. The children of non-functioning addicts should already be in the care of someone else.

The idea that able-bodied adults without children get "welfare" is wrong. It is virtually impossible.

Unemployment is an insurance, again, not need based. I never took a drug test to work, why should I be required to take one to collect unemployment insurance for which I paid and my employer paid?

Disability? How are you going to sort out the false positives from all the medications people take from the true positives for recreational drugs? Good luck with that.
I know an older woman, from Mexico, who does not qualify for Medicare. She has state Medicaid. She is constantly soliciting me and others for money for a charity she "runs" in Mexico. She is over 65 years old.

You are wrong. There are able bodied people, in my state, with no children who have welfare benefits. From what I understand there is a way to "game" any states welfare system.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 02-06-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
follicle drug tests, run over 60 dollars per test. Do you really want to spend that much for every person on welfare?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
follicle drug tests, run over 60 dollars per test. Do you really want to spend that much for every person on welfare?
So many would be disqualified that you would more than recover the cost of drug testing. Yes, I want to spend that money.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I don't know who he is; thus I am a lowly health care worker and my experience has been with the poor.
Are you referring to the people who are paying the majority of the taxes in this country? I get to have >37% my check seized by the government and 70% of that goes to programs like welfare; I don't make that much (and I don't get it back at the end of the year either).
I was taking it for granted the OP meant adult welfare people.

Oh, BTW - keep posting buddy, it was your first post and we alllllll make mistakes. Look at what you generated.

Welfare = entitlement program that hasn't "been paid into" by the families whom receive it (in most cases). The adult should be, and I do say should, be modeling correct behaviour for their children. There are many who do need it and are very good parents. But the ones I know teach their kids to take advantige of it. It's a reality that people do not want to face.
I'm not for drug testing in any situation. Why can't I go out on the weekend; shoot a few dozen speed balls and smoke a pound of weed? What happened to faith and good will? Ohhhhhh please; I can already hear the responses.
70% of your tax dollars do not go to welfare. Majority goes to defense/interest on debt.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Social Security is subsidized in that most people who live long enough to collect it usually collect everything they put into it within a few years. Past that time they are living off the earnings of others who are working now or have died before they could collect. It is my view that any money sent by the government to people should not be used for alcohol, cigarettes, gambling or drugs. It should be used to pay for food, shelter, utilities and other expenses of life.
Interesting KevK - One question though - how would YOU suggest your proposal be monitored? In other words - how would you REGULATE that the money only be spent as you suggest?

Honestly Kev - with people like you around, I am even happier I got out of Social Security!! Not only am I going to get more (a lot more) per month - I won't have the Government looking over my shoulder

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM

240 posts, read 537,464 times
Quote:
Don't forget that most of the people on welfare are either caring for small children or disabled in some way. If you force mothers to work, you have to make sure there is child care for the children. Of course, welfare recipients could work at providing child care for other welfare recipients.

Many disabled people who want to work can't. I'm not sure how you force some disabled people to work....people actively schizophrenic, people with limited mobility, people with dementia.....

Where did you get the uninformed idea that "most people on welfare are either caring for children or disabled?"

Welfare includes the following "freebies": Food stamps; ADC; Medicaid; Section 8 Housing; public housing; free or greatly discounted, telephone, electric, and cable service.

Most abusing the system are not disabled, and have out-of-wedlock children. Most can physically work, but refuse to due to their belief they are owed a free ride.

Most all federal employees, including our military, are subject to random drug testing. I support drug testing for welfare recipients 100 %. Costs for urine testing would be around $10.00 per test, a very nominal fee.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
The vast majority of people on welfare are the elderly and disabled. Drug testing would be a waste of tax payer money. Test the ones where a case worker feels there is a need and skip the across the board stupid testing rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies