Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

It's January 27, 2010. During the state of the union address, President Obama ticks off the major economic indicators, unemployment is a record 3%, GDP has grown by 8 percentage points for the third consecutive quarter. How many Obama critics would be arguing that the economic prosperity was because of Bush's policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Who controls the purse string? The President or the Legislature?

Who controlled the purse strings from 2006-2010?

Four years of Legislative priorities buttressed by a Democratic majority and you all of a sudden want to absolve Democrats of economic responsibility?

Democrats could claim victory if your hypothetical were true. Conversely, there is no victory for Democrats because they've controlled the purse strings since 2006 and we see what kind of economic mess we're in.

Democrats are just as culpable, and I believe you know this.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Who controls the purse string? The President or the Legislature?

Who controlled the purse strings from 2006-2010?

Four years of Legislative priorities buttressed by Democratic support and you all of a sudden want to absolve Democrats of economic responsibility?

Democrats could claim victory if your hypothetical were true. Conversely, there is no victory for Democrats because they've controlled the purse strings since 2006 and we see what kind of economic mess we're in.

Democrats are just as culpable, and I believe you know this.
According to right wing conservative neocons unless you have a super majority you have no control over the congress. Hence the reason they could not pass Fannie and Freddie reform. Or are you claiming they are lying?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
According to right wing conservative neocons unless you have a super majority you have no control over the congress. Hence the reason they could not pass Fannie and Freddie reform. Or are you claiming they are lying?
I'm claiming that you have no understanding of the word bipartisanship. Democrats held the majority after 2006. If there was an intent to reform Freddie and Fannie, then Democrats should have come forth with a plan that everyone could agree on. Did they? Nope.

Furthermore, Fannie and Freddie are but one piece of the fractional pie that brought this economy to its knees. Why didn't your Democrats reign in the coming disaster, since they had 3 solid years to do so? The years 2006, 2007, 2008, and even 2009 we're merely abstracts to a Democratic-led Congress. Reality never meant a thing. Therefore, Democrats are just as culpable. Spin it as much as you want. We'll just keep laughing at you in the process.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's January 27, 2010. During the state of the union address, President Obama ticks off the major economic indicators, unemployment is a record 3%, GDP has grown by 8 percentage points for the third consecutive quarter. How many Obama critics would be arguing that the economic prosperity was because of Bush's policies?
Considering the fact that 2/3rds of the stimulus bill hasnt been spent, I'd find it very difficult to narrow down an Obama policy to credit for turning the economy around.. Can you list them?

It is sad to see that we have to play pretend Obama did something though...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
I dont blame obama for what we face today, just as I dont blame bush for what we face today

economics takes TIME, the failed policies of the PAST 30 years, is what has gotten us here.

I blame Carter/bush1/clinton/bush2 and NOW obama who is following the same path, and even making things worse

I said it before the election, I will say it again...Obama is Bush on steriods

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Was the purpose of this thread so I could post this?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The democrats would have promised even more tot hose who think of nothnign but themselfs. Like then it would be upto the independents;mpore likely would not want to gamble on what they how have. Incumbants always lose on some ieeusse but teh economy will predominate with most people. Wiuth a one teram presdient its takes results that people can see to get reelected in bad times. Reagan was the last president to do it. He took over a terrible econmy like now and people saw and felt that things were turneinbg around and not only in domestic policy. By the time he ran for his second term he even had democrats for Reagan.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I dont blame obama for what we face today, just as I dont blame bush for what we face today

economics takes TIME, the failed policies of the PAST 30 years, is what has gotten us here.

I blame Carter/bush1/clinton/bush2 and NOW obama who is following the same path, and even making things worse

Funny how you exempted Reagan, when he ran a deficit and drove up the national debt like crazy.

I'll argue that Reagan gave us the mentality of getting somethng without paying for it. There was no effort to take responsibility for his spending. Look at any graph showing the national debt. Reagan took us off of a plan of fiscal responsibility as a nation.

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll freely admit Obama isn't doing a great job, but he's dealing with the mess left by several administrations. He should be taxing everyone, especially the rich, and if they try to dodge the taxes, then he should seize their assets.

The incompetence and irresponsibility of the past 30 years has left a hefty bill and now everyone who benefitted from it should have to pay. Don't believe me that the rich have benefitted from the Reaganomics policies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_..._United_States

Go to the table thats a bit more than halfway down that says partial history of U.S. federal marginal income tax rates since 93. Compare the years to the table that shows which presidents decreased the national debt vs. those who increased it.

This doesn't even include those asinine Bush cuts on the dividends tax.

If anyone wants to be a deficit hawk, they should do 1 of 2 things.
1) Argue to increase taxes AND reduce spending.
2) Argue to reduce spending, cut taxes and then go stand on a crumbling bridge and let us know how long it can go without repair or rebuilding when they find out.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Although I agree with your post, I'd suggest the policies of the PAST 40 years are the problem and I am losing tract of time. All of the Congresses and all of the Administrations since Johnson's Great Society are at fault. Any president who signed a budget without attempting a veto is equally guilty.

ALL. OF. THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies