Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You say it will not happen here but Obama has at least one Czar in his shadow cabinet who support Sharia law in the US: Dalia Mogahed.
"Czar in his shadow cabinet," I take it that's how Glenn or something like him translated "one of 25 advisors on the Faith-Based partnership board" for you. I'd just ask, is it wiser to exclude information -- that is, to stay ignorant -- or to include it?

Quote:
Citibank is developing Islamic financial systems to accomodate Sharia law.
That's not out of sentiment, it's to be able to take middle eastern money.

Islamic banking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
And, the government is being held less and less accountable to uphold the Constitution as is their duty and sworn oath.
link?

Quote:
So, don't look to the Constitution to protect American women from an acceptance of Sharia law as happened in England in late 2008.
do you mean Sharia courts? Why do you think the US would allow them? (serious answer please)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
So you are not using it as a derogatory term? Do you also enjoy tea bagging others? I know that's a popular one around here as well and not just for the gay guys...
but yeah, MOgal is a very well informed gun owner and isn't a cheerleader for obama, so she must be one of them damn right wingers. those bastids

but like I said, it's all good. It's like a secret code for some of us. We get it and we appreciate it
Thanks for agreeing that she's a rightwinger, I'll take that as an apology for your weird earlier post.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
knock knock
who's there?
a muslim that isn't from the middle east
you mean those exist?
yes, there's actually over a billion of them..

Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is more global "human rights" than first-world, western "feminism."

Still, how refreshing to see a right winger giving the thumbs up to anything regarding human rights.
Uh ... many right wingers support basic human rights which is why many of us are pro-life.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
The Daily Cardinal - Controversial feminist speaks as part of DLS

Hirsi Ali said she uses her personal experiences as a former Muslim to form her views on the treatment of Muslim women. Originally from Somalia, she fled to the Netherlands to escape an arranged marriage, and began to question much of what she had been taught.

She issued a call to action for all Americans to fight against what she views as a human rights violation, stating the issue is more significant than most people realize.

“We must use intelligence and reason to confront what I see as one of the world’s greatest inequalities: the treatment of Muslim women. This inequality is not only a moral tragedy, but is a threat to global peace.â€
For every diatribe like Hirsi Ali, you can find another Muslim woman who states just the opposite. Why do we give Ali's point of view more weight and validity than a Muslim woman who loves her life, her country and her culture?

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Uh ... many right wingers support basic human rights which is why many of us are pro-life.
I hope you see the comedy in that statement, Chatteress.

And I would add... "many" and "basic" just arent enough.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I hope you see the comedy in that statement, Chatteress.

And I would add... "many" and "basic" just arent enough.
Where's the comedy, other than in your posts?

Left wing liberals will protest rats being used to further science but are happy to let human babies in the smallest form be used to further science.

What is your idea of "basic" human rights? Free health care? Free food? Free ride through life? Does personal responsibility ever come in to play in your "basics just aren't enough"?

Last edited by JerseyG; 02-06-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For every diatribe like Hirsi Ali, you can find another Muslim woman who states just the opposite. Why do we give Ali's point of view more weight and validity than a Muslim woman who loves her life, her country and her culture?

20yrsinBranson
Countries that are Muslim tend to have tons of human rights violations. For every woman that fought for woman's rights in the US, there were many woman that were content with the status quo. Should the women rights activists be given less credibility if their opinions were in the minority? Maybe the women who are content might be unaware of the fact that they are being mistreated and could be brain-washed by the cultural norms of their societies. It's not like these women have much options in escaping the oppression as punishment is often severe.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Countries that are Muslim tend to have tons of human rights violations. For every woman that fought for woman's rights in the US, there were many woman that were content with the status quo. Should the women rights activists be given less credibility if their opinions were in the minority? Maybe the women who are content might be unaware of the fact that they are being mistreated and could be brain-washed by the cultural norms of their societies. It's not like these women have much options in escaping the oppression as punishment is often severe.
Not to mention, many girls in muslim countries are not allowed the same educational access as their male counterparts. Perhaps it is also a lack of education that leads to their acceptance of the status quo of being treated like property.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
ha ha ha ha I love that statement. "Unaware that they are being mistreated". You have really got to be kidding me. Mistreatment does not exist unawares. It is the subjective interpretation of the victim that determines whether or not mistreatment exists.

That is the most bizarre thing that I have ever read in my entire life.

OMG PEOPLE ARE HAPPY BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AWARE THEY ARE BEING MISTREATED. Can you even BEGIN to see the insanity in that concept?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies