U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 01:57 PM

34,990 posts, read 35,930,364 times

Advertisements

The House hearing opened with several politicians waxing poetic about how the merger is great for America. While nobody in the room cracked a smile, their enthusiasm is laughable. The only people who could believe that the largest media merger in a generation is good for the public are either: 1) on the receiving end of the massive campaign contributions from said media companies; 2) bending to the phalanx of industry lobbyists swarming Capitol Hill; or 3) hoodwinked believers in the "all regulation is bad" approach that brought us Enron and the financial meltdown.

Not everyone is swallowing the snake oil Comcast is peddling to grease its takeover of NBC. None shone brighter yesterday than Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), who aggressively interrogated Comcast CEO Brian Roberts and NBC Universal President Jeff Zucker -- all but accusing them of lying to his face.
Josh Silver: Senator Franken Rips Into Comcast CEO Brian Roberts

with video.

"Comcast is the largest cable TV and residential high-speed Internet company in the nation. NBC is one of the largest content providers."

Hope all you Frankenhaters are seeing the error of your ways... he continues to try to protect you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 02:03 PM

27,574 posts, read 15,494,362 times
I agree with franken on this one

but I still think he is a butthole

Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 PM

34,990 posts, read 35,930,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I agree with franken on this one

but I still think he is a butthole
why?

You wouldnt want him to pose for Playgirl, but he's honestly working in our best interest and he doesnt take sh*t from anyone. Which is more valuable?

I think we really lucked out with him.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM

16,683 posts, read 16,315,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
why? You wouldnt want him to pose for Playgirl,... .
Not sure what that has to do with the Comcast/NBC deal but I can't think of any women I know that would want him to.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM

857 posts, read 1,853,110 times
just another BIG GOVERNMENT pinko sticking his nose in the private sector, right neocons?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM

27,574 posts, read 15,494,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
just another BIG GOVERNMENT pinko sticking his nose in the private sector, right neocons?
UHM,

has nothing to do with big government....has to do with MONOPOLIES, and antitrust laws

Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,907,152 times
We need more Senators like Al Franken. Politians that look out for the people's best interests instead of caving to big business.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,986,074 times
Considering the fact that Franklen is largely a media creation himself, whose notoriety stemmed from his stints as a mediocre comedian on SNL and any other outlet he could find, and who used that public identification to somehow get elected to the Senate, his criticism of the proposed merger as an example of media manipulation is is more than a little hypocritical.

Add to this Franken's miserable failure to create the late and unlamented Air America as a viable media institution, and you have sour grapes from a first-year trough-feeder already highly skilled at emitting verbal flatulence.

If anyone has "lucked out", it is those of us fortunate enough not to live in Minnesota, a state which seems addicted to electing clowns and buffoons...

Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM

43,473 posts, read 18,674,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The House hearing opened with several politicians waxing poetic about how the merger is great for America. While nobody in the room cracked a smile, their enthusiasm is laughable. The only people who could believe that the largest media merger in a generation is good for the public are either: 1) on the receiving end of the massive campaign contributions from said media companies; 2) bending to the phalanx of industry lobbyists swarming Capitol Hill; or 3) hoodwinked believers in the "all regulation is bad" approach that brought us Enron and the financial meltdown.

Not everyone is swallowing the snake oil Comcast is peddling to grease its takeover of NBC. None shone brighter yesterday than Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), who aggressively interrogated Comcast CEO Brian Roberts and NBC Universal President Jeff Zucker -- all but accusing them of lying to his face.
Josh Silver: Senator Franken Rips Into Comcast CEO Brian Roberts

with video.

"Comcast is the largest cable TV and residential high-speed Internet company in the nation. NBC is one of the largest content providers."

Hope all you Frankenhaters are seeing the error of your ways... he continues to try to protect you.
I'm confused, eays to do. " The House hearing opened". Franken is a senator. Was he speaking at a House hearing?

By the way, I am not against the merger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or