Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Hmm. Cheated and lied to qualify for Section 8. does that include landlords who force their tenants to make illegal side payments? What about landlords who get checks for renting out substandard units?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I know of 5 people in my city.
And if you do know of any, why haven't you contacted the appropriate authorities?

I searched google and quickly found these sites:

Searching food stamp fraud:
FSSA: Fraud Hotline

Searching welfare fraud:
Reporting Welfare Fraud (each state has their own site)

Searching mecdicare fraud:
Medicare.gov - How to Report Medicare Fraud

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
And if you do know of any, why haven't you contacted the appropriate authorities?

I searched google and quickly found these sites:

Searching food stamp fraud:
FSSA: Fraud Hotline

Searching welfare fraud:
Reporting Welfare Fraud (each state has their own site)

Searching mecdicare fraud:
Medicare.gov - How to Report Medicare Fraud
Oh, I'm sure the christian OP would make these people's lives more of a hell if she could....

Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
How can any woman NOT know who fathered her children? I suspect that these types of women are in the minority of welfare recipients.
Many years ago, when I worked in Kansas (70's), we were doing a story on welfare and those on it, and we had a lady who at 25, had 8 children, all different ages and under 12. Between the 9 of them, they had 6 different last names. (we didn't ask, as the story was on the process, not who/why someone was on it).

Always wondered if she guessed who the fathers were to assign the names, was married many times for really short periods or what. (none were adopted)

And just to reply before someone makes a minority comment......the lady and all the kids were white.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I'm for reform as much as the next guy but the generalizations really make us look ignorant.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
Again, this is another issue that usually gets tossed in when people bring up the issue of welfare fraud. However, it is not an example of fraud, as someone who has 8 children and no job would easily qualify for government assistance. Now, if we want to question her motives for having so many children, that is an entirely different issue - but it doesn't constitute welfare fraud.

Honestly, I just think people see certain individuals and assume that they are on welfare or that they are cheating the system.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Many years ago, when I worked in Kansas (70's), we were doing a story on welfare and those on it, and we had a lady who at 25, had 8 children, all different ages and under 12. Between the 9 of them, they had 6 different last names. (we didn't ask, as the story was on the process, not who/why someone was on it).

Always wondered if she guessed who the fathers were to assign the names, was married many times for really short periods or what. (none were adopted)

And just to reply before someone makes a minority comment......the lady and all the kids were white.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
How can any woman NOT know who fathered her children? I suspect that these types of women are in the minority of welfare recipients.

If that were only true. Do you have any idea of the number of pregnant girls in junior and senior high school who cannot be certain of who fathered their child(ren)? It is truly shocking.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Are you sure? Maybe you should change your name to doctordave.

And then review all your neighbor's medical records, evaluate them in comparison to the Social Security disability regulations, the definition of substantial gainful activity, and prove the existence of jobs your neighbor is able to do on a sustained basis that exist in substantial numbers in the national economy.
She comes over regularly to chat with my wife. She was the one who told my wife and I about her job cleaning offices. I personally saw her using a shovel to lift concrete blocks out of the soil and then lift them into her van. She then drove her van back to her home and unloaded the blocks in her yard. These blocks were one foot square and 4 inches thick. One day she came over to ask me to help her move her mom's hospital bed into the shed. The bed was in the yard on it's side. She was able to lift her end of the bed and walk across the yard to put it in the shed.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Hmm. Cheated and lied to qualify for Section 8. does that include landlords who force their tenants to make illegal side payments? What about landlords who get checks for renting out substandard units?

Section 8 units have to go through an inspection by the local housing authority that manages Section 8. They are many times more stringent than the local jurisdiction as to livability.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-07-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 12:09 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
I worked in goverment housing for a few years. Icould fill a book on cheats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies