Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 AM

45,464 posts, read 60,692,988 times

Advertisements

"Why Are Liberals So Condescending?":

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,108,225 times
Nothing like a broad generalization to create more partisan bickering.

I notice plenty of condescending conservatives/libertarians on here. Why are they so condescending?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
For some reason, a lot of them view themselves as intellectuals. However, they're on the same level as mac users and volvo drivers. Many feel the mac is superior, but in reality, it's just like any other PC, but less of a target because few people actually use them. A lot of ignorant people also feel that volvo's are "safer" cars, but they're actually just driven by more people that are looking for a safe car and drive more cautiously.
The beauty of this is it's easy to mess with their heads. They generally are incapable of thinking for themselves, are easily manipulated, and gullible as hell.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 AM

45,464 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Nothing like a broad generalization to create more partisan bickering.

I notice plenty of condescending conservatives/libertarians on here. Why are they so condescending?
Like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/12789466-post3.html

or this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/12791445-post41.html

or this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/12792974-post48.html

and this gem:

//www.city-data.com/forum/12793468-post51.html

Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,578,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
"Why Are Liberals So Condescending?":

washingtonpost.com
Gerard Alexander is a conservative political academic (great oxymoron there), a very rare breed, and he obviously feels persecuted. An academic lashing out in an opinion piece, wow, must be true.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,108,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
For some reason, a lot of them view themselves as intellectuals. However, they're on the same level as mac users and volvo drivers. Many feel the mac is superior, but in reality, it's just like any other PC, but less of a target because few people actually use them. A lot of ignorant people also feel that volvo's are "safer" cars, but they're actually just driven by more people that are looking for a safe car and drive more cautiously.
The beauty of this is it's easy to mess with their heads. They generally are incapable of thinking for themselves, are easily manipulated, and gullible as hell.
Thats most Americans' view of those with opposing views.

Most people can't view themselves as being sheeple, their ego won't allow it. So they think that their side of the spectrum can think for themselves and come to logical reasoning and the other side must be brainwashed. Its evident in this forum with posters on both sides of the spectrum.

I lean to the left because I've seen corporate America screw blue collar people near retirement over so someone thousands of miles away can see improvement in their stock portfolio. Hence, I have a lasting distrust of corporate America.

I understand that some people think their taxes are too high and thats what drives them to be right wingers and parrot Glen Beck, Hannity and Limbaugh.

I parrot things from time to time as well and am far from perfect. To group one side and call them a few names though, is the adult equivalent of calling them a poopoo head and is quite pointless.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 AM

did that company have a competitive advantage in their market? Probably not.
Does rewarding failure and incompetence ever lead to growth and prosperity? Definitely not!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,873,964 times
Liberals do seem to be more condescending and smug than other political ideologies (with the exception of "that wasn't real Communism" Communists and some Neocons). I say this as someone with more liberal sympathies than conservative sympathies. I also find that they are quicker to turn on you as well. For example, I remember John Stossel (who is a libertarian) mentioning that he often speaks to both liberal and conservative groups. He speaks about his positions on various issues healthcare privatization, anti-war, school vouchers, gay marriage, welfare reform, drug legalization, and so on. Now, he said that he tends to give the same speeches to the various groups. He said that after he does speaks to a conservative audience he tends to get people who come up to him and say, " I disagree with you on this, this, and this, but I like your views on" while liberals come up to him and either accuse him of hating poor people or being a corporate shill. Although he did say that he has had more liberals come up and say that he has changed their mind about an issue, but generally speaking they are often angry or accuse him of a hidden motive.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 AM

don't forget about all the death threats he has received as well..
I know you can't have a bumper sticker for a Republican around here without someone keying your car too. The left definitely has the market cornered when it comes to violent radicals.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,219,260 times
Even Juan Williams, a life long liberal, accused by the Left of becoming too conservative as he ages, says that the Left is far more vicious in their criticism than conservatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bws_aHHtzY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies