Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
And why the heck should we be punished with a friggin penalty devised by heterosexuals.
So you WANT the tax marraige penelty?

Quote:
That itself is an attack on homosexuals.
Ummm ok attack that is a bit over the top. No one is attacking anyone.

Quote:
Gays are being used as scapegoats and it has to stop somewhere.
Scapegoats for what exactly?

Quote:
I as a gay man decided a long time ago that the line has already stopped and I do not take care what anyone thinks.
Good for you.

Quote:
I was born with all the rights that every American citizen was born with and just because I was born gay is no reason to short me or the same EXACT Rights as every single Heterosexual, not a separate set amended by straights to suit their fears.
Why do you say fears? Perhaps it is the desire to keep traditional marriage just that traditional.

Quote:
Why cant a majority of the straights just get over yourselves and learn to share. Is that so dang difficult.
And why can't gays get over themselves and realize that they can not always get their own way. You can have every benefit that straights have if you plan properly.

** I am adding this to every post I post on here because I don't want someone a week from now to claim that I am a gay hater. I am FOR gay marriage but I also respect the majority do not**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
And why can't gays get over themselves and realize that they can not always get their own way. You can have every benefit that straights have if you plan properly.

** I am adding this to every post I post on here because I don't want someone a week from now to claim that I am a gay hater. I am FOR gay marriage but I also respect the majority do not**
I guess I'm a little confused by your position. You state that you are for gay marriage, and then in every one of your posts you question why gay couples deserve the same rights. Yes in certain states if you jump through hoops you can have similar benefits, but not every state, and some states don't recognize any kind of legalized same-sex union at all. Why shouldn't every gay couple be able to be married in every state and be entitiled to exactly the same benefits as married straight couples now get? If you support gay marriage, that is what it is.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Sigh...I'm going to ask this once & if I get no response then I will know for sure that you are simply unable to explain yourself, back your statements up w/anything that doesn't involve insults or untruths or have an adult, logical debate. What special rights are you talking about?

I cannot marry the same sex and if you are gay, you cannot marry the same sex. looks like we all have the SAME rights.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Beyond belief this guy did not recuse himself. Considering the rulings he has made that have been overturned already, there is NO CHANCE this guy can offer an objective, fair opinion.

Judge Walker’s Skewed Judgment - Ed Whelan - The Corner on National Review Online
It only appears that this judge may be engaging in "shenanigans" but aside from this, does this judge have a history of letting his personal views interfere with his past rulings?

Unless a person can show that this guy inserts his own personal bias into court ruling, then I think this is much about nothing, and its unfair to disparage this judge.

Last edited by Wapasha; 02-09-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM

228 posts, read 483,224 times
Are we ready to start tackling some real issues yet? Judging by the fact that this thread is 14 pages, I would say not.

Have fun arguing over these most pressing issues while our country goes to ****. I can't wait for things to turn into a early 90's soviet union over here, then maybe people will shut up and concentrate on things that really matter.

Let people do what they want. Aren't we supposed to be the "land of the free"? It's funny that the same people who are gung-ho about 'mericuh's freedoms and ownin' guns and havin' the right to smoke my tubaccy in public are the same ones against gay marriage.

Have fun!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Typical right-wing mentality from the OP, and a great example of homophobia.

I guess that decisions on court cases affecting gays should only be considered legitimate if a heterosexual makes them.

Just watch - if the judge rules against same-sex marriage, she'll be crowing about how wonderful and fair the decision was.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
This trial has really lost a lot of credibility and now appears for the most part to be a rigged proceeding. This totally explains why the judge was so heavy handed with the defense since even before the trial began.

I wondered why he wanted to overlook the law and broadcast the trial on youtube. At first I thought he was trying to boost his own ego, but now it makes perfect sense. He wanted to specifically intimidate and embarrass the defense. The US Supreme Court in their wisdom shot him down on that and I am glad.

Now, unless he recuses himself immediately, I would like for the defense to motion for a mistrial or ask for an ethical probe into the presiding judge and the plantiffs attorneys and the lawyers for the No-on-8 side. It seems like this was a concerted effort yet again to circumvent the will of the people through a fixed trial. And that is a mockery of our judicial system.

I still firmly believe that gay couples should have civil unions that offer 100% of the protections currently only given to married straight couples-but this whole bizarre episode is so tasteless and really cheapens the hard work of so many well meaning gays and their supporters to build bridges instead of the No-on-8 freak show that seeks only to intimidate and harrass anyone who stands in their way.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
So you WANT the tax marraige penelty?

Ummm ok attack that is a bit over the top. No one is attacking anyone.

Scapegoats for what exactly?

Good for you.

Why do you say fears? Perhaps it is the desire to keep traditional marriage just that traditional.

No matter how much we prepare legally, which is costly by the way, we do not have the absolute protections that marriage provides. If my partner/spouse were to die, our house has to go through probate and in the long run cost much more than if our marriage were recognized. All the benefits and rights that go with marriage ( 1049 at last count ) cannot be bought or wrangled for. Why must straights get their way, why are they so precious that they deserve special marriage rights that are denied gays and lesbians? You may think of those 1049 rights that you take for granted as a penalty, but I look at them as safeguards and protections. Scapegoats? You want an example? Marriage is being denied to us because it may open windows to other kinds of marriage. We are thus held hostage to the false fears that that will happen. I have never heard of a gay or lesbian asking to marry their dog or cat, their cousin or brother or sister or their computer, we just want to marry the one we love and have a legal and binding contract recognized by the country we are a part of, what is wrong with that?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Beyond belief this guy did not recuse himself. Considering the rulings he has made that have been overturned already, there is NO CHANCE this guy can offer an objective, fair opinion.

Judge Walker’s Skewed Judgment - Ed Whelan - The Corner on National Review Online

Well that is silly. Who can decide this case fairly? A bisexual judge?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,936 times
Al this gay talk is BS!
Might as well make TS & TV legal to marry and
also legal to marry two or more people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies