Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 PM

103 posts, read 207,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
First, the idea proposed in the OP is scary. Spooky scary that people think this way.

Second, ending welfare for all but the most needy would do more to instill work ethic than providing a class of Americans with everything on the first tier of Maslow's hierarchy.

Third, I can't figure out why so many Americans keep pining for their old crappy jobs back. We import millions of skilled workers each year because we can't find enough qualified Americans. This includes engineers, doctors, and chemists. I would think we have enough people here to fill those jobs.

Fourth, I'm still shocked at the suggestion.
Are you shocked enough to believe that we need to end democracy?

I'm more and more convinced that the average voter is insular, ignorant, and oft-misinformed.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
Are you shocked enough to believe that we need to end democracy?

I'm more and more convinced that the average voter is insular, ignorant, and oft-misinformed.

Shocked, yes. I'm not suggesting he or she does not have the right to propose it. In fact, suggestions like his are important to the democratic process. It still shocks me, particularly because of the poster's track record.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Why not just enact trade policies that raise the floor rather than lower the bar?
If we trade with China, they have to pay their workers x amount, have to abide by environmental regulations and worker safety requirements.
No child labor and there has to be limits on the amount of hours people can work per week.

OR better yet, institute tariffs and start manufacturing products for our own people and people who want to trade via a fair trade policy.

I don't think we have a welfare mentality that many on the right would likely think of. Many Americans want jobs that offer a living wage and provides good benefits. Who the heck wouldn't want that?

I have a feeling your post was written in jest to mock some posters on here. Good job if that was your goal.

Tariffs. Now that is a great idea. I wonder why no one ever thought of that before?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The $3/hr is just a starting point for the permanent low-wage workforce we need to enable our manufacturing base to return. Housing is the main living expense, so use the low wage earners to built the subsidized housing, provide day-care, etc.

Provide them with subsidized healthcare and higher education, giving them an upwards path. Many youth join the military for just this reason. This would be open to anyone wanting to participate.

This plan would provide, in effect, a non-military alternative. Of course, there will be those who just refuse to work, sorry - no Welfare for you!

Unproductive, stagnant unemployment would be replaced with productive nearly full employment.

America needs to replace Welfare mentality with Work mentality.

No more free ride. Let our manufacturing compete with other countries.

It will benefit the workers as much or more than the government and companies.

What a great idea! But we must make a name for them. Let me see....................... Got it! We will call them "servus" after the latin term for "slave".

Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM

78 posts, read 101,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The $3/hr is just a starting point for the permanent low-wage workforce we need to enable our manufacturing base to return. Housing is the main living expense, so use the low wage earners to built the subsidized housing, provide day-care, etc.

Provide them with subsidized healthcare and higher education, giving them an upwards path. Many youth join the military for just this reason. This would be open to anyone wanting to participate.

This plan would provide, in effect, a non-military alternative. Of course, there will be those who just refuse to work, sorry - no Welfare for you!

Unproductive, stagnant unemployment would be replaced with productive nearly full employment.

America needs to replace Welfare mentality with Work mentality.

No more free ride. Let our manufacturing compete with other countries.

It will benefit the workers as much or more than the government and companies.

No, America needs to replace the welfare mentality with NO welfare at all.

Who wants to live in government housing projects anyway? Short of FORCING people to live in government housing and FORCED labor at $3/h, the only other option is to transform the USA into a huge Gulag, Communist country.

To that, I say STOP!

What I favor is eliminating all labor unions, all crazy regulations that make the cost of manufacturing jobs so high they have to go overseas and cutting off ALL welfare for lazy people so that the lazy people will either steal and go to jail or work for wages offered.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM

241 posts, read 251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense1 View Post
What I favor is eliminating all labor unions, all crazy regulations that make the cost of manufacturing jobs so high they have to go overseas and cutting off ALL welfare for lazy people so that the lazy people will either steal and go to jail or work for wages offered.
Yeah forget those unions! Who cares about the rights of workers?
If you want to know the real reason for outsourcing and job elimination, look no further than corporate greed and lack of regulation. Don't blame unions for the failings of the broken system in which they operate.

(Hint: your approach is what got the US into this mess in the first place)

Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Yeah forget those unions! Who cares about the rights of workers?
If you want to know the real reason for outsourcing and job elimination, look no further than corporate greed and lack of regulation. Don't blame unions for the failings of the broken system in which they operate.

(Hint: your approach is what got the US into this mess in the first place)
So all employed persons not in unions have no rights? We have OSHA to protect the rights of workers, we don't need unions to duplicate that.

I'll blame unions for the reason why Chicago is losing millions of revenue from trade shows leaving McCormick Place. Why? The costs of having trade shows here is too high because of unions. When a trade show vendor cannot even plug in his/her own lighting for their display, something has gone awry.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM

103 posts, read 207,355 times
[quote=KRAMERCAT;12798723]If it were just lower end manufacturing, like trinkets, that were lost - it wouldn't have much effect on our economy. It's also the higher end manufacturing, engineering, computer, etc jobs that are not coming back unless we mightily change course. Converting Welfare to real Workfare is just the start, and will help, but the higher end jobs need to return as we ll.[/quotne]

Then what are you talking about? What does workfare have to do with the price of tofu? And last I checked, we don't produce enough workers to fill many high paying jobs in engineering, IT, etc. That's why we import them.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You first.
You want us to be like china?
Go move there then.
Grow up.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Sounds like a workers paradise to me, just like North Korea
Better than a 'non-workers' paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies