Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am not angry. I am smiling. I did not say you were talking about God. I simply stated that someone who denies a woman a pill is probably some religious Christian who believes in God.

And I am talking about my freedom to fire people who dont do their jobs.
Yes. You would have that freedom to fire people if they didn't do their jobs. That's correct.

But, as a business owner myself, I would recommend you veil your anti-Bible sentiment as that is inappropriate and will get you some negative legal attention.

I make a policy to not discuss politics, religion, or sexual preferences with my staff and I have been managing staff for over 21 years.

It's also another reason why I come here...to vent my "real self" a little and test some of my theories with opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Yes. You would have that freedom to fire people if they didn't do their jobs. That's correct.

But, as a business owner myself, I would recommend you veil your anti-Bible sentiment as that is inappropriate and will get you some negative legal attention.

I make a policy to not discuss politics, religion, or sexual preferences with my staff and I have been managing staff for over 21 years.

It's also another reason why I come here...to vent my "real self" a little and test some of my theories with opposition.
Naw, dude. I am cool with the Bible. Just not when you bring into my business. I am friends with VERY VERY religious people. Dont bring it to me or preach and I am tight with that. You go to Church on Sunday and I sleep in. People at work are religious. That is cool. No issue there.

But I would NEVER tolerate someone not working or performing the job because of their beliefs. As I said before-why would a Hindu work at Burger King? Why would a Vegan work at a deli? Did you hear about the Muslim girl who was all covered up but tried to sue Aero for discriminating? Yeah but they want girls to show some skin. Why would you as a moral Christian try to be a pharmacist when you might have to give out a pill? Not in my business will you deny a woman the pill she needs. Ever.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Not in my business will you deny a woman the pill she needs. Ever.
I didn't know you owned a Pharmacy?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I didn't know you owned a Pharmacy?
Obviously I was talking about if I ever owned a business.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Naw, dude. I am cool with the Bible. Just not when you bring into my business. I am friends with VERY VERY religious people. Dont bring it to me or preach and I am tight with that. You go to Church on Sunday and I sleep in. People at work are religious. That is cool. No issue there.

But I would NEVER tolerate someone not working or performing the job because of their beliefs. As I said before-why would a Hindu work at Burger King? Why would a Vegan work at a deli? Did you hear about the Muslim girl who was all covered up but tried to sue Aero for discriminating? Yeah but they want girls to show some skin. Why would you as a moral Christian try to be a pharmacist when you might have to give out a pill? Not in my business will you deny a woman the pill she needs. Ever.
I definitely see your point, but I see the Pharmacist's point as well.

There really is no judging I suppose, just a decision by the company hiring the Pharmacist whether they will retain them.

I could never be a pharmacist for so many reasons. The biggest is that Big Pharma just LOVES pushing the pills and many are very toxic. So, I would feel like many of the prescriptions were dangerous. Not for religious reasons, just as a matter of health.

(There's some insight into my own hypocrisy)

As for religion, I agree with you. I don't preach it and I don't want to hear preaching about it. I'm content with where I am spiritually.

As for other people, whatever it takes for a person to sleep at night and keep their mind and soul healthy and calm is "OK" by me. Even if that means praying to a chocolate bar or a sock...

Most people are good-hearted.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Can't do it - Illegal
Untrue. Cops & military can't excuse themselves on the grounds of conscientious objectors, it's the nature of the job. Muslims working in a hot dog factory is entirely voluntary, don't apply for the job. Doctors not qualified for all phases of obstetrics should excuse themselves from the profession and elect another specialty in keeping with their religious beliefs.

Same with pharmacists, who will then entitle themselves to decide which prescribed medicines for pain relief shouldn't be filled because they disagree that marijuana has medicinal value. Whatever their personal opinion is about a customer or prescription is entirely irrelevant, unless you'd like to start defending white supremicists who refuse to treat your daughter in an ER because they're 'entitled' to their beliefs. Imposing religious beliefs upon others is not gods will, nor acceptable in secular law.

Too attached to pushing agenda, you & robin totally blew off fair compromise that addressed 95% of the issues involved. That's what betrays your side as utter BS. I've seen nothing but 40 odd yrs of abuse aimed at women from the anti abortion political womb owners, and times may change, but the ignorance, cruelty & disrespect never does.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Untrue. Cops & military can't excuse themselves on the grounds of conscientious objectors, it's the nature of the job. Muslims working in a hot dog factory is entirely voluntary, don't apply for the job. Doctors not qualified for all phases of obstetrics should excuse themselves from the profession and elect another specialty in keeping with their religious beliefs.

Same with pharmacists, who will then entitle themselves to decide which prescribed medicines for pain relief shouldn't be filled because they disagree that marijuana has medicinal value. Whatever their personal opinion is about a customer or prescription is entirely irrelevant, unless you'd like to start defending white supremicists who refuse to treat your daughter in an ER because they're 'entitled' to their beliefs. Imposing religious beliefs upon others is not gods will, nor acceptable in secular law.

Too attached to pushing agenda, you & robin totally blew off fair compromise that addressed 95% of the issues involved. That's what betrays your side as utter BS. I've seen nothing but 40 odd yrs of abuse aimed at women from the anti abortion political womb owners, and times may change, but the ignorance, cruelty & disrespect never does.
I don't see how I blew off fair compromise.

Read the Hippocratic Oath and see why the ethical dilemma is there.

Police Officers do not take this oath

NOVA | Doctors' Diaries | The Hippocratic Oath: Classical Version | PBS

Allow me to quote you the passage that many in the medical fields, including Pharmacists made an oath to uphold...

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

Here is the Modern Oath:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 02-08-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
C'mon, you libs are just jealous you didn't think of a Super Bowl ad first or couldn't you find any football player who wished his mother aborted him?
What the? This is not a thread about the appropriateness of that commercial. FWIW, most "libs" had no issue with the commercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Abortion can hurt the mother as well as denying life to a child.
I respect your right to hold your opinion. I was once like you very pro (30 years ago)abortion, time and life changed me. I saw not only does abortion deny life it also has great negative effects on alot of woman
Abortion is safer than childbirth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Putting them behind glass does not keep a minor from buying them. They merely need to ask.

Most schools also have condoms in the nurse's office.

Most medical clinics offer them for free upon request.

Birth Control Pills and IUDs are medical items and carry risk. In this case, as in all cases, the minor should speak to their parents and doctor to discuss these risks, since both have a risk of death and NEITHER protect against STD's or HIV Aids which can also lead to death.

If they don't have the ability to discuss their sexuality with their parents or another adult, then they should abstain from sex. Sexual relations require a certain level of maturity and responsibility.

I know many believe it's damaging to interfere with a minor's sexual education in this manner, but sex can be very damaging to both the body and the mind of an adolescent. It is a serious act and should not be treated as anything less than serious.
Birth control methods are safer than pregnancy. Having sex can give you HIV/AIDS. Birth control does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I know some people who wanted to discuss sex with their parents but they also feared their parent beating them to a pulp so...there ya go. The parents didn't find out they were having sex until AFTER they revealed they were pregnant.
It's too bad kids are "afraid" of their parents like that. Most parents would be happy to discuss sex with their kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Most schools don't even have a full time school nurse.
Most of the "nurses" in school health rooms are para-professionals with a minimal health care background.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Robins read the thread, not your selective attention methodology. Unless of course you really want to believe everything that's been going on politically kicking women around for the past 40 yrs is sane.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What the? This is not a thread about the appropriateness of that commercial. FWIW, most "libs" had no issue with the commercial.

Abortion is safer than childbirth.

Birth control methods are safer than pregnancy. Having sex can give you HIV/AIDS. Birth control does not.

It's too bad kids are "afraid" of their parents like that. Most parents would be happy to discuss sex with their kids.

Most of the "nurses" in school health rooms are para-professionals with a minimal health care background.
How is birth control safer than pregnancy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies