Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

quote/

There is a rejection of politics as usual, the feeling that both parties are captive of their respective special interests -- big business and big government.

For the Tea Party momentum to continue in a constructive way, it will need to take at least two further steps: First, repudiate the unhinged Obama-haters and then focus its anger at fiscal irresponsibility into policy proposals instead of bumper-sticker platitudes.

With a growing number of conspiracy entrepreneurs trying to profit off populist anger in a recession, it's also worth keeping the conservative virtue of healthy skepticism in mind.

Remember what the author Eric Hoffer warned in his book "The True Believer:" "Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business and eventually degenerates into a racket."

Analysis: Where does the Tea Party go from here? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Failin' Palin and the tea party insurgents needs to find their own party. The tea party has people who support ALL 10 amendments to the bill of rights, including the 4th.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
There is no focus to the tea party. They come across as just a mob of angry people. I think that if you poll tea party people that beyond the broad brush stroke of we hate government, you would get many different definitions.

If they were to define what the tea party stands for they would lose a lot of their "members".

Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
The tea party will morph into the {R} party sinced they hi jacked the movement away from the libertarian conservatives and liberty minded people.Myself,I would never be a member,why would I want to dirty myself and hang out with a bunch of hypocrite {R}s.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
They come across as just a mob of angry people.
Who have no clue what they're angry at except for that someone told them to be angry. Not ONE can give specifics about anything.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Not ONE can give specifics about anything.
"Some people" never bother to look...

Quote:
First, they want to eliminate the bloating and corruption in government and vaporize the extravagant spending. Second, they want to return common sense to the free enterprise model that created the greatest economic times in the history of man. Third, they want to put into a place real checks and balances that return the government to the people.
New Patriot Journal | Tea Party Patriots Dispute Claims that Sarah Palin is the Tea Party Leader

Seriously - you're not going to find those "specifics" at Kos, HuffPo or DU - they don't want you to know what they are. You have to actually listen to the people involved in the movement.

The ideas in the quote above aren't new, and they've been listed right here on this forum countless times. If you really wanted to know the "specifics" of what the movement was about, the information has been presented, right here, many times.

I suspect that you're not really interested, though, and you yourself are the one
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Who [has] no clue what [you're] angry at except for that someone told [you] to be angry.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
I think the sane tea party people should join the progessives who also want to get rid of cronyism in our politics.

Lord knows the Republicans don't have their best interests at heart. They just use them. (See Dick Army's Freedom Works.)

Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Quote:
First, they want to eliminate the bloating and corruption in government and vaporize the extravagant spending. Second, they want to return common sense to the free enterprise model that created the greatest economic times in the history of man. Third, they want to put into a place real checks and balances that return the government to the people.
This *does* beg the question, "Specifically, what do you mean?"

It's vague, jingoistic nonsense.... might as well be from one of Sarah Palin's 2008 deer-in-the-headlights interviews.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
I think the Tea Party did themselves in by inviting Palin and have her go on a anti Obama rant which basically lends to the stereotype that the Tea Party really is just a bunch of old white angry people. They cheered at every jab Palin took at Obama.
Where were these people and their anger for the past 8 years preceding Obama?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This *does* beg the question, "Specifically, what do you mean?"

It's vague, jingoistic nonsense.... might as well be from one of Sarah Palin's 2008 deer-in-the-headlights interviews.
Exactly! What is interesting is that some believe the meaningless rhetoric without questioning just exactly how they plan on doing what they preach. I will be waiting to hear the many explainations I am sure we will get in reply to your comment. Oh and you just had to mention the Godess of the fringe, you are in for it now.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies