Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

I just read this funny article about the relatively new Paleo movement, which is about modern people trying to lead a primitive caveman kind of life (to the extent possible today). Seems they despise the culture and sophistication humanity has developed over the past couple of thousand years, instead they like to crawl around naked in the woods, lift heavy stones and tree trunks, eat raw meat in great quantities etc.

I wonder what the ancient cavemen themselves would say about that, given they had pretty short lives and probably would have loved to have more comfortable lives

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Primitive living has been around for as long as there have been people; it's nothing new. I did a lot of that in the 90's (but back then we were "mountain men"), although I never went "full time caveman". But I'm confident I could still be dropped naked anywhere in the Intermountain West and make it through all right.

In case anyone was wondering, Big Macs taste better than mormon crickets, but mormon crickets are better for you. And, your time is better spent learning how to flintknap rather than learning how to jump onto mastadons.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with it, except the fact that if too many people do it all the caves will be taken up and you won't be able to collect enough bugs and small furry animals to eat.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
People always romanticize the past when they are unhappy about the present. People usually use the reasoning that it is better in some unquantifiable, or very hard to explain, way that brings people to their perceived happiness.

Living a little while in actual conditions of that past usually is a good jolt.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
I was expecting something to do with Geico....

Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just read this funny article about the relatively new Paleo movement, which is about modern people trying to lead a primitive caveman kind of life (to the extent possible today). Seems they despise the culture and sophistication humanity has developed over the past couple of thousand years, instead they like to crawl around naked in the woods, lift heavy stones and tree trunks, eat raw meat in great quantities etc.

I wonder what the ancient cavemen themselves would say about that, given they had pretty short lives and probably would have loved to have more comfortable lives
Lives were shorter back then primarily because they had little when it came to medicine. Even in the past century there was a time when a simple cut or ear infection would be feared as deadly. No antibiotics, etc. No vaccines meant children died in large numbers.

I think the group in that article are rather soft, and on raw meat, quite wrong. Pre-historic man had fire. Cooking food makes it safer. It was common for salads in America in the Colonial days to be boiled to ensure they were safe (not a bad idea in light of recent issues with bacteria from raw food). That group is unwilling to give up modern comforts, they live in a city where to be a hunter-gatherer is all but illegal unless you drive long distances to the woods.

There are many people who prefer simpler lifestyles. Comes in varying degrees. I'm of that mindset, but not into the Stone Ages. Not crazy at all, and the world would be better off if more people were less materialistic and not into consumerism.

BTW: it has been found the diet of the Inuit was one of the healthiest diets there is. Full of meat and fish...

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

OH! Excuse me ....I thought you posted a thread about the

Palin / Caveman movement!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Sounds good to me. I'll sign up as long as I can keep my Crew cab 4x4 dually pick up to carry my mobile cave into the woods with me.........

YC.......

Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Humans have developed rather quickly, in geologic and evolutionary terms. We are really the same animal today, that we were 20,000 years ago.

So we still have lots of instincts for living in the woods, and doing things that our ancestors used to do to live.

Its only natural for us to feel drawn to a simpler life, that we evolved for. Still, I like my TV, computer, internet, car, microwave, and countless other things that we have now. I like to get out in the woods and play though. I don't do it naked, but I do like the woods.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
But modern humans have changed since the stone age. For instance, I wonder if those paleo guys drink milk. The capability to digest milk has started to spread only about 7000 years ago, it is based on a genetic mutation and mainly to be found in central and northern Europeans. Most adult people on this planet cannot drink milk, though.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Living in the woods with primitive tools. So easy, a caveman can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies