Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Yet another post about racism.... this topic was discussed million times before, yet there is always someone with more questions.
I have a question to the OP:
What is the purpose of your question? Lets assume people will say there is more racism in the south. How does it help you or your community? On the other hand, some will say racism is even in all parts of America. Is that better?
How talking about racism and rubbing it in all the time, helps with solving the problem? If at all, it only makes it worse.
For a solution, suggest legislation that will help people (all people) be equal in the eye of law. You cannot change heart feelings by constantly hammering on this topic.
I thought this was a discussion forum. And what topics have not been discussed hundreds of times over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
After moving here from Seattle I was told that the south don't have any more racism then the rest of the country , and that might be true to a point. But I really believe that the racism is more open, down in the south then up north.
It is not that people are any smarter or less ignorant in Seattle, but they just don't say it to your face.
I work with mostly black girls. One girl, she is very light skinned. She looks like she could be an olive- skinned white person.
She told me that just a couple of years ago while in Selma, Alabama, her and her mother walked in to a grocery store. As she as walking down the ail with her grocery cart a man runs into her cart from behind. She turns around and the man looks at her and say "oh, I'm sorry mam, I thought you were a N......r. This was in 2003.
Just before Christmas another coworker of mine was called "damn N....r" by a customer on the sales floor.
And for those of you who thinks this is just a southern "redneck" thing are wrong. This is well-off people living in nice homes and have good jobs. No backwoods toothless trailer trash.
I have many more examples of how open racism is down here. Black on white racism as well. Here in Memphis I sense a lot of black on white racism.
But I do believe that up north people are no less racist, they just keep their opinions to them self. Am I right about that?

Don't be surprised about the racists being of a higher socioeconomic class. Even you have given into a stereotype of the poor Southerner. Yeah, I've lived in a trailer for a few years--and I've since moved into an apartment. But that doesn't mean I was anything but hard-working and decent. I work with black people--we have no problems. We're both working for "the Man"...and we recognize that.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I thought this was a discussion forum. And what topics have not been discussed hundreds of times over and over.
Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt anyone and I am aware that it is a discussion forum. Still, if you search the forum, this topic was covered from any possible angle. It is only second to the tireless Obama bashing posts (which I understand even less.... Yes, I know that some people dislike his polices, but how many times can one repeat the same old? Don't they ever get tired?).
I find a topic worthy, if it was not covered before, or not in a long time, or if I have something new, which was not said before. I also welcome posts related to the latest news, if there is anything.
My apology anyway.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Don't be surprised about the racists being of a higher socioeconomic class. Even you have given into a stereotype of the poor Southerner. Yeah, I've lived in a trailer for a few years--and I've since moved into an apartment. But that doesn't mean I was anything but hard-working and decent. I work with black people--we have no problems. We're both working for "the Man"...and we recognize that.
exactly right

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 PM

328 posts, read 306,722 times
There is definitely more down south, however there are plenty of racists in the northeast, West, Midwest etc.. You're more likely to get stares and rude comments down south if you were a Black man walking around with a blond white woman. It's deeply etched in their history.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
People talk of their experiences of open and covert racism, but I've noticed nobody discusses how to put an end to it, except to sweep it under the carpet one more day.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I would say that racism in the South tends to be more in the open. With that said, it is also becoming more covert, at least where I live. I have seen both. Some people have actually threatened to "lynch" me. I remember one afternoon I was waiting for my mother to pick me up from track practice. There were these two boys. Both of them were White. One of them mentioned threatening "to hang" a Black guy "by the end of a rope". I was rather shocked because I was in classes with his older sister. His sister did not come off in the least bit way as racist or bigoted.

I think alot of the changes have been superficial and instead of race relations getting better, they have just morphed into something else. No more calling anyone the "n" word, but rather, more covert things. The South, IMHO, isn't better than the North and the North really isn't better than the South. Some things are a little different on both ends, but as far as racial issues, not much better on either side of the Mason-Dixon line. My experiences being in college have taught me that race relations haven't really "improved by leaps and bounds". On individual levels, I am seeing a few good things happening. On a larger view, it still isn't that much better.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
I think Dave says it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2Ev...om=PL&index=19

Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
People talk of their experiences of open and covert racism, but I've noticed nobody discusses how to put an end to it, except to sweep it under the carpet one more day.
I don't think we can end it. We can try to raise our children to be non-racists but after that it is up to them.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would say that racism in the South tends to be more in the open. With that said, it is also becoming more covert, at least where I live. I have seen both. Some people have actually threatened to "lynch" me. I remember one afternoon I was waiting for my mother to pick me up from track practice. There were these two boys. Both of them were White. One of them mentioned threatening "to hang" a Black guy "by the end of a rope". I was rather shocked because I was in classes with his older sister. His sister did not come off in the least bit way as racist or bigoted.

I think alot of the changes have been superficial and instead of race relations getting better, they have just morphed into something else. No more calling anyone the "n" word, but rather, more covert things. The South, IMHO, isn't better than the North and the North really isn't better than the South. Some things are a little different on both ends, but as far as racial issues, not much better on either side of the Mason-Dixon line. My experiences being in college have taught me that race relations haven't really "improved by leaps and bounds". On individual levels, I am seeing a few good things happening. On a larger view, it still isn't that much better.
I was running a transport biz. I became ill and couldn't drive for myself anymore.
I put this guy I knew of (only knew him for about a year) behind the wheel. He did a couple of round trips for me down to Chicago, and things seemingly were going ok.

One day, he came back to the barn w/signed freight bills, and exclaimed the N**ger down there at so and so refused to sign the bill. I told him not to be using that reference and also told him that a date/time stamp was satisfactory for receipt of goods. He again referred to the receiver in a derogatory way, and I immediately asked him for the van key and fuel cards.

So, this person, who thought that I who am white and would agree with him, was wrong. Maybe in private circles, people talk or contemplate what their desired actions might be to someone else, but you hardly ever see it openly, it kind of like dirty whispers coming from a dark side.

I grew up in the big city, and have seen racism and have lived thru riots. It sure makes a lasting impression on a young person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies