Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
askMuslims.com: Does (Islam) allow wife beating?

Just like in Christianity, many people take many different interpretations of the holy book.
This from the Qu'ran :
Quote:
If you experience rebellion from the women, you shall first talk to them, then (you may use negative incentives like) deserting them in bed, then you may (as a last alternative) beat them. If they obey you, you are not permitted to transgress against them. GOD is Most High, Supreme.
Interpret away.

Quote:
Come on now.
It's not like every Muslim guy is out there beating his wife.

I can't believe you call yourself liberal but you share the same anti-Muslim views as many right-wingers.
This should not even be a right v left issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
if you could talk to the daily suicide bombing victims, what would you say to them?
Are you trying to say ONLY Muslims commit acts of terrorism?

I am not going to judge every Muslim based on the actions of a few.

What would you say to the innocent civilians killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
This from the Qu'ran :
Interpret away.
I guess you didn't see the link I supllied

At the end of Psalm 137, a lament by the Jewish people exiled in Babylon, come these words: "O daughter Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall they be who pay you back for what you have done to us! Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!"
Those are just two of the scores of verses in the Bible that speak of wrath and vengeance and portray violence and destruction.

Murder in the Bible

Rape in the Bible

Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
I guess you didn't see the link I supllied

At the end of Psalm 137, a lament by the Jewish people exiled in Babylon, come these words: "O daughter Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall they be who pay you back for what you have done to us! Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!"
Those are just two of the scores of verses in the Bible that speak of wrath and vengeance and portray violence and destruction.

Murder in the Bible

Rape in the Bible
How often do you hear of Catholic priests, Baptist ministers, or Jewish Rabbi's preaching to their congregations that it is okay to rape and beat your wife because the it happened in the bible and the bible says so?

There is a large and distinct difference between the bible and the qu'ran. The qu'ran is taken to be the direct word of god as given to Muhammad. That's why translations of it other than arabic are not taken to be factual. It cannot even be translated from arabic because it is the absolute direct word of god. The bible is a retelling of events across historical times and places and largely thought to be subject to the whims of the people writing those verses. Often, the stories were written decades and centuries after the actual events took place.

People seem to equate the qu'ran with the bible but they are fundamentally different. It's imperative to understand that difference in order to understand how christianity and judaism differ from islam.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
I think it's Bush's fault this cleric is giving the ok to these actions.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Come on now.

I can't believe you call yourself liberal but you share the same anti-Muslim views as many right-wingers.
Do you support the rape, beating, and murder of Muslim women under Sharia law? Do you believe that because it is part of their culture that it is acceptable in nations with laws against rape, beatings and murder? Should a persons culture make them exempt to the laws of a nation whose laws do not make allowances for that culture?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Come on now.

I get that a lot from liberals on the subject of illegal immigration and EXTREME Muslims. But just because I am a liberal or leftie does NOT mean I have to agree on every single subject.

I NEVER EVER said that every Muslim guy out there is beating his wife. HOWEVER, the most trouble creating group out there are Muslims and I have every right to be concerned. Especially when it is spreading to France, England, etc. I dont EVER want to see the US with the Sharia Law even being considered.

Second of all, I never was and never will against peaceful ordinary Muslims. My best friend is a Muslim. Americanized as can be. I know of a couple others.

Third of all, I go to school in Dearborn, MI. The biggest Muslim population in the USA. I know how they cheered on 9/11. I saw Muslims celebrating Hasan shooting out Fort Wayne. Every few months, there is a FBI raid in which a radical is exposed and his cult following which wants to impose the Sharia law on EVERYONE. Why are they here? They hate the USA. Why is ANYONE defending them? Also, don't think for one second that these people will defend OUR rights if we ever became a minority. Sharia Law or else...

Until then, I do not care if I offend liberals but this is one issue I will stand firm on.

I am sorry we disagree on this subject. I know we agree on A LOT more though.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
"Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has called on a Muslim cleric to apologise for comments in which he condoned marital rape and advised men to 'shape up' their wives by beating them." Kevin Rudd condemns Muslim cleric for 'beat your wife' advice - Times Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2z_2dMecFM

Ahh yes, Muhammad the sacred one whom we are not to depict in any way. The same Muhhammad who gave birth to modern day Islam through conquering, mudering, hanging, and enslaving innocent people to spread this religion of "peace". The same Muhammad who had 13 wives, one of which was 6 years old... he beat her with 40 lashes on false accusations that she commited adultery when their caravan had accidentally left her behind and she was forced to catch up.

Yep, a religion of peace indeed. [/sarcasm]
This "storm in a teacup" is YONKS old and was all over, done and dusted a year ago. There was some rather interesting threads about it (on CD) at the time. Maybe you'd like to go look for them? I don't really know why you'd want to go drag it up again unless you have an agenda.

Humza is an idiot and so's Kevin Rudd. I hardly think either of them have much of value to contribute on this issue AND like most things of this nature one can only hope that people are able to READ DATES, understand the quality of the reporting AND see both sides of a story before leaping to the easy position of vilifying a whole culture and religion based on the ignorant rantings of a few.

Oh and NOT THAT I can remember exactly but I'm pretty sure that the original youtube of Humza was actually already YONKS old before Kevin picked up on it and decided to do a little spin to appeal to the gullible.

Pfft! Musta been a slow news week and a big controversial bill needed to be pushed through parliament in the dead of night. That's usually why they drag up rubbish like this. To distract the masses from what they're really up to.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It might carry more weight if instead of politely requesting an apology that the cleric be held legally liable, with a prison sentance for inciting violence, for each act by any men with association to his mosque who physically abuse any female.

And we do know that will never ever happen!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Despicable.

Absoutely right, Despicable, and so NON HUMANE! just so hard to imagine, that any one religion, would allow such inhumane behavior towards women, is an acceptable act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies