Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What flavor of abortion do you favor?
No abortions, even in cases of rape, incest, birth defects, and mothers death 10 9.09%
Abortions only in cases of rape, incest, birth defects, and mothers health 24 21.82%
Abortions for whomever decides they need one. 76 69.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM

530 posts, read 779,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I agree with you.

No matter how distressing I find late term abortions or even abortion as birth control I can never stand in that woman's shoes and truly know her circumstances. A thousand times over I'd rather hear that a woman had an abortion than gave birth and then set their child up for a life of misery because they had no business having that child in the first place.

(oh and I almost ruined your thread utopia by responding to some odious comments I read BUT I thought of your little crossed fingers and decided not to bother. )
Thanks but I like your posts I have read so far and you don't seem to be the type to be like "oh yeah well since you don't think like me then you are stupid, you stink and you can't come to my birthday party" childish! Differing opinions are one thing but....well you get the point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM

269 posts, read 295,769 times
For me personally? I would say #2, as I feel that aborting a child simply for no medical reason is to me taking away a life. Given the emotional aftershocks and the complications abortion can have with future pregnancies, I am against it on a matter of choice.

However, if it should become against the law is different. I take a similar viewpoint to Mr. Conservative himself, Barry Goldwater:

"A lot of so-called conservatives don't know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right."

Assuming that we're speaking about this on the federal level, I would have to reluctantly vote for #3. I don't favor the practice and I believe that it takes away a life, but I believe that there are better ways of cutting down on abortions rather than by simply making it illegal (such as better access to birth control). Personally, I don't believe that every pro-choice person is out there supporting abortion because they want everybody to get abortions. There are plenty of pro-choice women who have raised loving families and never needed to get an abortion.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If she doesn't want to turn them in because she doesn't want them in trouble. Then I don't believe she should be allowed an abortion either. Since she is an enabler. If she doesn't do anything about the rapist, theres a good chance he will do it again.

Any rape reported after the first week that you claim wasn't commited by someone you know, is obviously a lie.

Must of the people who are raped and don't turn them in, are criminals or druggies, who are afraid to go to the police. Sadly, a great many of these are illegal immigrants, who are afraid of deportation. It is difficult for me to sympathize with criminals and druggies.
You really belong in one of those woman-hating threads we see around here periodically. You are literally saying that pregnancy is an appropriate punishment for what? Lying about having sex? Being a criminal or "druggy"? Being an illegal alien?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
So, what is the difference between a first trimester and a third trimester abortion?
The difference is a first trimester abortion I don't have a problem with. A third one I do.

ps - you can be pro choice and still not agree w/ late term abortions. The world isn't just black and white.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You really belong in one of those woman-hating threads we see around here periodically. You are literally saying that pregnancy is an appropriate punishment for what? Lying about having sex? Being a criminal or "druggy"? Being an illegal alien?
No, I am saying you should be responsible for your actions. If a woman decides to have sex and get pregnant, then she should be responsible for that decision. If a man decides to have sex and gets a woman pregnant, then he should be responsible for that decision. In the case of the man, he has to help raise that child, either directly or with child support.

I am saying that pregnancy should only be allowed for compassionate reasons. Or if the woman was not at fault for her pregnancy(she was raped).

I said, the only women who are raped that are raped but don't report it, are criminals who are afraid to report it. Basically, they are druggies and illegal immigrants(yes, illegal immigrants are criminals). I don't have that much sympathy for druggies and illegal immigrants, both of them should be locked up or deported.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The difference is a first trimester abortion I don't have a problem with. A third one I do.

ps - you can be pro choice and still not agree w/ late term abortions. The world isn't just black and white.
But why do you see there being a difference between first and third trimester abortions? Do you feel like a first trimester baby isn't really a human being? And at what point in developement does a baby become a baby?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
No, I am saying you should be responsible for your actions. If a woman decides to have sex and get pregnant, then she should be responsible for that decision. If a man decides to have sex and gets a woman pregnant, then he should be responsible for that decision. In the case of the man, he has to help raise that child, either directly or with child support.

I am saying that pregnancy should only be allowed for compassionate reasons. Or if the woman was not at fault for her pregnancy(she was raped).

I said, the only women who are raped that are raped but don't report it, are criminals who are afraid to report it. Basically, they are druggies and illegal immigrants(yes, illegal immigrants are criminals). I don't have that much sympathy for druggies and illegal immigrants, both of them should be locked up or deported.
And are you aware that contraception is not 100% effective?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
No, I am saying you should be responsible for your actions. If a woman decides to have sex and get pregnant, then she should be responsible for that decision. If a man decides to have sex and gets a woman pregnant, then he should be responsible for that decision. In the case of the man, he has to help raise that child, either directly or with child support. this would be great but we are talking about people who are not responsible. we know people should be responsible but many are not.

many rapes go unreported and it isn't because they are druggies or illegal immigrants. many women don't report it because of fear and intimidation, a feeling of shame, not wanting people to know, they are humiliated.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:

I can only hope you don't have daughters EVER and if you do they are never raped.

Your comments regarding the moral fibre of a victim whether or not a victim reports a rape are reprehensible and incredibly ignorant.

AND if you're so convinced you are correct please enlighten us all with some statistics of this phenomenon. I'd LOVE to hear them.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
But why do you see there being a difference between first and third trimester abortions? Do you feel like a first trimester baby isn't really a human being? And at what point in developement does a baby become a baby?
it is obvious people are more comfortable with the idea of aborting a fetus that is barely formed as opposed to a thrid trimester when the fetus is more fully developed. a baby becomes a baby when it can live on it's own outside the womb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies