Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Someone was fired simply for speaking another language. How is it not racist?
Wow, just wow. You're not serious are you?

Twist Tie spins it again to fit the liberal agenda. How surprising.

Policies were broken; the language is irrelevant. Can't follow new policies? Quit and find a new job. It's really pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
A rule that served what purpose?

This is an elementary school. How does it benefit the students for the school to NOT communicate with their parents?
It is an odd rule...

However, in thinking it through it MAY have been because the school had no way to "track" the conversation. Meaning, they may have had lawsuits from a "he said" , "she said" perspective and it the school couldn't track everything said, they may have been advised to say nothing...?

I dunno. It seems a strange thing and with those stories there is usually another story underneath it.

I'd be interested in following this along though...

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
It is an odd rule...

However, in thinking it through it MAY have been because the school had no way to "track" the conversation. Meaning, they may have had lawsuits from a "he said" , "she said" perspective and it the school couldn't track everything said, they may have been advised to say nothing...?

I dunno. It seems a strange thing and with those stories there is usually another story underneath it.

Great point.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
It is an odd rule...

I agree, I would be interested in hearing the principal's reasoning on this. But as for tracking everything said, exactly how do schools do this anyway? Isn't it a he said-she said thing anyway, unless the school is recording the conversations. In which case, it doesn't matter what language it's recorded in.

The secretary was hired to a position where one of the qualifications was being bilingual. The previous principal utilized her interpretative skills. The new principal chose not to do so, but went even further, in forbidding her to speak Spanish at her workplace.

The school's purpose is to educate students. In order to effectively do that, schools have tried to engage parental involvement. In this case, some parents don't speak English. Since they had previously used the bilingual secretary to overcome the language barrier, it could be argued that the principal's decision was effectively to discourage parental involvement of students whose parents don't speak English. And that's discrimination. If the school system hadn't previously encouraged the secretary, the school system's case would be stronger. But the school system chose to hire a bilingual secretary, to use that particular skill, and then the principal decided not to do so. Which begs the question, why?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Wow, just wow. You're not serious are you?

Twist Tie spins it again to fit the liberal agenda. How surprising.

Policies were broken; the language is irrelevant. Can't follow new policies? Quit and find a new job. It's really pretty simple.
Where did I mention anything about politics? The policy itself is racist. You're not allowed to speak in a different language? If this is a public school, this is a blatant violation of the 1st amendment.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,683 times
Quote:
I agree, I would be interested in hearing the principal's reasoning on this. But as for tracking everything said, exactly how do schools do this anyway? Isn't it a he said-she said thing anyway, unless the school is recording the conversations. In which case, it doesn't matter what language it's recorded in.

The secretary was hired to a position where one of the qualifications was being bilingual. The previous principal utilized her interpretative skills. The new principal chose not to do so, but went even further, in forbidding her to speak Spanish at her workplace.

The school's purpose is to educate students. In order to effectively do that, schools have tried to engage parental involvement. In this case, some parents don't speak English. Since they had previously used the bilingual secretary to overcome the language barrier, it could be argued that the principal's decision was effectively to discourage parental involvement of students whose parents don't speak English. And that's discrimination. If the school system hadn't previously encouraged the secretary, the school system's case would be stronger. But the school system chose to hire a bilingual secretary, to use that particular skill, and then the principal decided not to do so. Which begs the question, why?
It does definitely beg the question, why?

I see this as a bad decision...definitely, a bad decision to make the language disallowed, especially in a school where multi-linguals are there to study.

It's a little like arguing that censorship should be legalized. The argument makes sense, until it doesn't...

I'd like to see what led to the bad decision. This is definitely an interesting story to follow.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I've been yelled at by the adminstration in my job for refusing to speak Spanish to those who speak English but prefer to be helped in Spanish, in a state where English is the official language as per state statute.

I also work for the government. Anybody think our GOV is 'effed up?

Last edited by Chango; 02-09-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A former school secretary has sued Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, saying she lost her job at Devonshire Elementary when a new principal banned her from speaking Spanish to parents who can't speak English.

Ana Ligia Mateo claims she was hired as a bilingual secretary for the east Charlotte school in 2006. But when Suzanne Gimenez took over as principal in 2008, the lawsuit says, Gimenez "announced in a staff meeting that she would no longer allow Spanish to be spoken to parents by any of the faculty or staff."

Worker: School banned Spanish - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/1230320.html - broken link)
Some how I doubt this will hold up for long.
Casper

Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Interesting and it sounds like the principal has a Spanish last name?? Maybe it would be better, like someone said, the secretary had suggested an interpretor. It does seem unfair to fire her for this, but it also seems improper for the sec to not respect the principal's decision. I don't see this as racist by the way...

NIta

I agree with you to. Principal does have a Spanish last name. Why hire her for the job. But then again, why disrespect the principal's wishes.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
A rule that served what purpose?

This is an elementary school. How does it benefit the students for the school to NOT communicate with their parents?

I heard someone on another post, recently say, maybe they should learn English. It does not benefit the students, if they cannot communicate, but you still cannot disresepct what the principal's wishes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies